News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I would've expected Essendon to be higher.
I guess they've been irrelevant long enough people are forgetting.
If Essendon actually get good again it would be a blight on the comp. Thankfully their penchant for short cuts (read cheating) and their extreme levels of entitlement are actually helping keep them down which is nice to see. But they will make you wish for a dominant Richmond/Collingwood make no mistake about it.

Might be an age demographic thing

Esaendon easy number 1 for older WC supporters

The thing about essendons current turn is that any success is born from the fact they have a west coast player for a list manager and a west coast ceo.

So really any success is ours anyway.

No thanks

Don't want any part of it

"Portholes" better be careful. Rather than admit a mistake the AFL might send someone up there to "finish the job".

Kane: "I think there's a lot of confusion about what dead and alive really mean...and that's ok it's a confusing situation but what we actually have here is one of those Weekend at Bernie's situations so he's actually been dead for longer than what we said and no one knew...so I'm comfortable with the call"

"Portholes" better be careful. Rather than admit a mistake the AFL might send someone up there to "finish the job".

Kane: "I think there's a lot of confusion about what dead and alive really mean...and that's ok it's a confusing situation but what we actually have here is one of those Weekend at Bernie's situations so he's actually been dead for longer than what we said and no one knew...so I'm comfortable with the call"
It’s not confusing, it’s complex.

This shit is laugable...do they even reach out to family or whatever first to even confirm this? Or is this just something that's like 'Oh, I heard old mat died recently...that's sad...ok, put him in the montage!' absolute amateur hour from this regime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the lion king GIF by Walt Disney Records

It gets worse.

Thing is they never contacted him at all.

But what Porter was truly annoyed about was the fact that no one from the AFL had chosen to reach out to him, despite the AFL putting out a statement saying otherwise.
“I read today that the AFL said that they had actually spoken to me and they haven’t,” Porter said.
“They made a mistake and then they’re saying ‘oh we’ve contacted him. He understands’ but they haven’t contacted me.

I had both Essendon and Geelong falling...felt their ladder positions flattered them. I don't know enough about their draw to know if they have banked enough wins to make finals but I didn't rate either as serious finals contenders even when they were both near the top of the ladder.

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke says next 18 months to set up Eagles for ‘next wave of success’​

West Coast chief executive Don Pyke says the Eagles will be aggressive in bringing in talent over the next 18 months to “set the list up for the next wave of success”.
Pyke has made it clear that the Eagles will use every avenue available to them to bolster their list as they climb out of the darkest days in their history, having won only eight of their past 58 games.
The Eagles have already been linked to several West Australians with reports they met with out-of-contract Richmond vice-captain Liam Baker during the week, while Sydney Brownlow Medal fancy Chad Warner is also in their sights to bring home to WA.

Last year the Eagles added Matt Flynn as an unrestricted free agent from Greater Western Sydney, while they traded in Tyler Brockman from Hawthorn.
Their biggest recruitment though was No.1 draftee Harley Reid, who has already shone in only 10 games to signal he’s going to be pivotal to the Eagles’ next premiership push.
Pyke will head the charge alongside new list boss Matthew Clarke, who came over from Richmond earlier this year after long-time stalwart Rohan O’Brien departed.

“We’re going to be as aggressive as we need to be. I said to Matty Clarke when he came on board, ‘we’ve got three levers we can pull – we’ve got trade, we’ve got free agency and we’ve got draft to add to the list’,” Pyke told ABC Radio.
“We’ve started already having conversations, we’re in the market and that’s hit the ground running. We’re looking forward to what it looks like.

“On field, there’s still a lot of work to do and a lot of areas to do, but we feel like if we can add some people this year and next year we can set the list up for the next wave of success.”
Pyke said their recruitment would also need to be strong for their WAFL side with the Eagles in negotiations with the WAFC to extend their licence in the competition by a further two years.
Part of the negotiations include better concessions to build their list, but Pyke conceded the club needed to be better to add experience around their young talent on their AFL list.

“We’ve got some fantastic young guys who are down there helping out in terms of adding to our list, we just need more and we need a bit more experience,” Pyke said.
“The last three or four years have shown that it’s harder than easier to attract them from other WAFL clubs.
“They feel like I’m joining a team, I’m not joining a club so we’ve got some work to do in building that club vibe, that one club component.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back