News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney (2012 over Hawthorn) and West Coast (2018 over Collingwood) are the only two clubs in the last 20 years to beat a Victorian side on the MCG – with eight others losing in the aforementioned timeframe.

Statistical anomaly I guess. 😊
Well if we were to assume that the competition was perfectly equal you would have an interstate side playing a Vic side 26.1% of the time. The interstate side would then win half of those, for a win every ~7.5 years.

So, I'm all for criticising Vic bias where it exists but that stat on its own seems like a bit of a nothing-burger to me.

Well if we were to assume that the competition was perfectly equal you would have an interstate side playing a Vic side 26.1% of the time. The interstate side would then win half of those, for a win every ~7.5 years.

So, I'm all for criticising Vic bias where it exists but that stat on its own seems like a bit of a nothing-burger to me.

If you’re talking probabilities the above leaves out two non-vic sides competing in a GF

Law of averages would be a non-vic team winning 8 premierships every 18 years - not quite once every two years

Our win over Sydney in 2006 was the last time a Victorian side didn’t make the GF.

Jake Waterman on "On the Couch" tonight for those with Kayo/Foxtel.

or hopefully in a couple of days on WCE Clips ;)

Also interesting ’On The Couch’ showing a clip of Rowbottom slinging a GWS player. Couldn’t be more similar to Reid but not even cited. Go figure.

It is what it is. We've suffered our two weeks, hopefully the young champ thinks twice about slinging a bloke down in frustration next time, reload him for the Hawks game and off we go again. Peak returns on Sunday.

Lloyd with some good analysis on Ginbey, some work still to do.
He’s a second year player and someone still learning to play as a mid after being picked up as a hbf. Happy with his year but I think it will take him a couple more years till it all clicks for him.

With Schodown it was interesting to hear Jones and Hunt ended up doing tagging roles in addition to Ginbey.
He also mentioned using the game to trial a whole host of things such as Maric to wing, Ryan and Brockman as mids.
The taller forward line.
I like that he is experimenting while we are poor to see what we can get out of players already on the list.

If you’re talking probabilities the above leaves out two non-vic sides competing in a GF

Law of averages would be a non-vic team winning 8 premierships every 18 years - not quite once every two years

Our win over Sydney in 2006 was the last time a Victorian side didn’t make the GF.
You're right, but I was responding to this stat about non-Vics beating Vic sides (which I think may have emerged from the Backchat universe) and my point is that that particular one tracks pretty well with what you'd expect.

The other stat you mention is far more telling because it is only a ~1/38 chance to go 18 years without a non-Vic side making the GF, although admittedly with a pretty convenient cutoff. Even if we pick a slightly less convenient but still arbitrary 10 years, the chance of that happening is around 2/15. So that one definitely stands out.

Like I said earlier, I'm all for having a whinge about this stuff but it also important to understand what numbers you would expect before highlighting a particular stat.

With Schodown it was interesting to hear Jones and Hunt ended up doing tagging roles in addition to Ginbey.
He also mentioned using the game to trial a whole host of things such as Maric to wing, Ryan and Brockman as mids.
The taller forward line.
I like that he is experimenting while we are poor to see what we can get out of players already on the list.
I just wish he was also doing things like putting games into Johnston instead of Gaff and Hall instead of Sheed. The Maric to wing should have happened a lot earlier. Would love to see Burgiel and Archer crack a game at some point, even if they play a half and are subbed off. Archer looks fanstastic but is going to go nowhere playing in the Beagles. Killing me when Logan Morris is playing so well in the AFL albeit very different players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a second year player and someone still learning to play as a mid after being picked up as a hbf. Happy with his year but I think it will take him a couple more years till it all clicks for him.
In still very happy with his 2nd year he'll leave no stone unturned to be his best imo

The taller forward line.

Unfortunately not interesting to hear that Simpson is still referring to Sheed’s unavailability like it’s a major detriment to team performance. If anything we looked better without him in the side yesterday.

You can’t put Dom in the same basket as TK and Harley like Simmo did in that segment but you just know he’s got the blinkers on when it comes to Sheed.

Unfortunately not interesting to hear that Simpson is still referring to Sheed’s unavailability like it’s a major detriment to team performance. If anything we looked better without him in the side yesterday.

You can’t put Dom in the same basket as TK and Harley like Simmo did in that segment but you just know he’s got the blinkers on when it comes to Sheed.
He definitely needs someone on his team who can just call out when he's holding on to players too long. It's admirable to want to cherish and celebrate good club servants like we have done with JK and Hurn but sometimes it's too the detriment of both the player and the club.

Sheed should have got the same tap that I assume Gaff has gotten where it's clear they will likely spend most of the year in the WAFL helping develop our kids. but instead there is this will he wont he about bringing them both into the side every week.

The AFL then felt the need to do a review of victorian football following our win and since then it's been all one way traffic. What a coincidence...

The AFL then felt the need to do a review of victorian football following our win and since then it's been all one way traffic. What a coincidence...
Our noise of affirmation suddenly stopped working at home too iirc...

He definitely needs someone on his team who can just call out when he's holding on to players too long. It's admirable to want to cherish and celebrate good club servants like we have done with JK and Hurn but sometimes it's too the detriment of both the player and the club.

Sheed should have got the same tap that I assume Gaff has gotten where it's clear they will likely spend most of the year in the WAFL helping develop our kids. but instead there is this will he wont he about bringing them both into the side every week.

That ain't gonna happen. Remember they had offered Shuey and Nic Nat one year deals before they decided to retire. It's like they're incapable of making a tough decision for themselves.

That ain't gonna happen. Remember they had offered Shuey and Nic Nat one year deals before they decided to retire. It's like they're incapable of making a tough decision for themselves.
With schuey I heard his final year deal was ~200k, the club effectively telling him to retire whilst making it look like they offered him a deal. Not sure on Nic Nat

Our noise of affirmation suddenly stopped working at home too iirc...
Coincides with Dean Margetts retiring as well. I had a chuckle at the North game where this guy a few rows behind me brought up Dean Margetts about 20 times over the course of the game. 'Margetts would have never let this happen' - 'bring back Dean Margetts' every time a suss call was made

Remove this Banner Ad

Back