News Media Thread, 2024: Insightful, Inciteful and Incomptent

Remove this Banner Ad

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

West Coast questioned over call to let Harley Reid visit family in Victoria while being rested​

AFL legend Paul Roos has questioned whether West Coast's decision to allow Harley Reid to visit his family while being rested is an example of player power going too far.

Reid was rested for West Coast's Round 7 clash against Gold Coast with Eagles coach Adam Simpson explaining the club's internal measurements had indicated his body was "flagging".

The 19-year-old was given the opportunity to travel back to Victoria to spend some time with his family on his week off.
VicMedia: "Eagles shouldn't draft Reid - he'll get homesick and want a trade home!"
Also VicMedia: "Why are they letting him go visit his family?"

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin

VicMedia: "Eagles shouldn't draft Reid - he'll get homesick and want a trade home!"
Also VicMedia: "Why are they letting him go visit his family?"

Say Word Reaction GIF by Justin
Last part was banging on about how we should've split the pick, because Sydney did for McVeigh.

The obsession continues...

It's done already Paul Roos. That's old news. nobody died nothing went wrong.

Reid is back happy and will be playing.

I suspect it will happen again because what we did passed with flying colors. Reid behaved himself while back in vic

Reid is back and playing against bomber refreshed mentally and physically

Last edited:
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Can only imagine the media hounding the club if Harley leaves, saying we should have let him go home more.

The part that shits me as well is Roos saying that if Harley isn't fit to play then why did we let him fly home....well because you absolute idiot, flying home and spending time with family is vastly different to playing a match and recovering after the game with the longest travel we have

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

West Coast questioned over call to let Harley Reid visit family in Victoria while being rested​

AFL legend Paul Roos has questioned whether West Coast's decision to allow Harley Reid to visit his family while being rested is an example of player power going too far.

Reid was rested for West Coast's Round 7 clash against Gold Coast with Eagles coach Adam Simpson explaining the club's internal measurements had indicated his body was "flagging".

The 19-year-old was given the opportunity to travel back to Victoria to spend some time with his family on his week off.
Another has-been like Sheedy.

I cannot recall any club being unable to field a team without using state league players.
I loved that game though. I wanted them to bring back Aaron Black again in the year because he was great when he played for us that time. Not to mention the Gary From Accounting or whatever they called him memes on Twitter were awesome haha. 😂

A young kid, from a tight-knit family, in a very small regional town, being given a bit of leeway in his first year of football, to help him adjust to life away from home -- it's hardly a big deal, In fact, with so many players struggling with mental health issues, it seems proactive and smart.

Paul Roos was a great player and a very good coach. But it's been eight years since he last coached a team, and 26 years since he last played a game. He's 60. I'm not saying he isn't entitled to an opinion, but it's not unreasonable to suggest his opinion might be outdated... maybe even a little bit irresponsible.

Which is my polite way of saying Paul Roos can eat a bag of dicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Roos with big shouting at clouds energy

His main contribution to the game was the flood which took away a lot of what made football really great

Don’t rate him or his opinions.

He can FRO as far as I’m concerned

His main contribution to the game was the flood which took away a lot of what made football really great

Roos and sheedy and all the old timers showing up and giving reasons theyd totally lose the locker room these days in regards to mental health etc

Roos and sheedy and all the old timers showing up and giving reasons theyd totally lose the locker room these days in regards to mental health etc
Yep. Despite what some old timers on here think, it's good that Simmo has mentioned this a number of times in interviews and has repeatedly stated that 'times have changed' and you can't treat this generation of footballers like they did when he was playing. I think he first mentioned it that time Ryan left that preseason camp early and some people were up in arms about it and he's mentioned it a few times since then.

Reckon Roos should check out the recent Backchat podcast with Josh Hill (here) where he talks about being forced to miss family funerals. His comments are in response to questions around cultural sensitivity, but the point applies more widely... the game isn't the same anymore, and that's not a bad thing.

Yep. Despite what some old timers on here think, it's good that Simmo has mentioned this a number of times in interviews and has repeatedly stated that 'times have changed' and you can't treat this generation of footballers like they did when he was playing. I think he first mentioned it that time Ryan left that preseason camp early and some people were up in arms about it and he's mentioned it a few times since then.
Also seems non of the media DHs have seen Simmo mentioned the drop off the medicos or whoever noticed from the test they do.

I cannot recall any club being unable to field a team without using state league players.
I loved that game though. I wanted them to bring back Aaron Black again in the year because he was great when he played for us that time. Not to mention the Gary From Accounting or whatever they called him memes on Twitter were awesome haha. 😂

I hope telstra had to pay royalties for making an add based on our 2022/23 seasons.

Reckon Roos should check out the recent Backchat podcast with Josh Hill (here) where he talks about being forced to miss family funerals. His comments are in response to questions around cultural sensitivity, but the point applies more widely... the game isn't the same anymore, and that's not a bad thing.

Didn't watch the whole thing but good insights from Hill there.

Eade has a reputation as a massive kent so it's good to see a first hand account.

Just imagine for a minute what the reaction would have been if it had been Collingwood?

I mean seriously there'd have been a Royal Commission - at a minimum. And the AFL would have taxed each club a player to shift to the Pies.

Because we can’t have all their prime time games being duds. And besides, it’s Collingwood. Collingwood!

Exactly right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back