Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

That is not the point, if this is a footy act how many jump forward and up to smother over the last 45 years at VFL/AFL level, after a initial run to? I cannot remember another one off hand but happy to be corrected.
Zac Dawson's hit on Joel Selwood in the 2013 finals. Dawson exonerated

No idea but there are other things you can raise to.

What if a player is in a marking contest, another player runs up, knees them in the head while taking a speccy and now they are concussed. Is that worthy of suspension or not?

Our questions are not very relevant to this incident though.
they are i think because that is the decision they have to make, no way he meant for that too happen but where does the line get drawn?

There'd be a heap of ranting.

And some Collingwood supporters would be talking rubbish about cushioning the blow by putting two arms out - a hand on each shoulder maybe - imagine how hard he'd have to whack him to knock him backwards to avoid a head clash. And some would be talking rubbish that turning and dropping your head in a collision to protect against concussion is an inappropriate act. Etc. Etc. it'd be different supporters with the same s**t arguments.

There's a case to be made against the launch, but the AFL or anyone saying that Maynard shouldn't have turned and braced has completely lost sight of the big picture. You don't reduce consussions by encouraging players to go wide open, front on, head first into collisions. It a crazy argument and downright negligent from the AFL. Their duty of care to players isnt just law enforcement after a collision, it's to train players with a technique to keep their head out of collisions - not to discourage that technique - keep your head in a place it is likely to get whacked son.
I don't know that people are saying Maynard shouldn't have braced. I think it was more that he should have more awareness than to find himself flying at that speed towards his opponent's head. The fact that he braced just increased the blunt force to Brayshaw's skull.

The lenient reading of this action is that he was trying to smother. I think that's true.

The cynical reading is that he couldn't have ironed out Brayshaw more effectively even if he was trying. I think that's also true.

Interesting decisions ahead.

What happened to intent being the main factor in a suspension? His intent was to spoil then mid air after the ball passes he realises it’s going to be a collision.

I like Goodwin’s short memory. Pickett on Bailey Smith earlier in the year was the worst act of the season when it comes to intent, it was just luck that Smith wasn’t concussed.

Except if this wasn’t finals and everyone watching, the MRO dismisses it on Friday and the newly appointed footy boss doesn’t feel the need to step in to protect the games image.

He is only going to the tribunal because it is finals.

Um........no. You may need to open your eyes. This is 2023. Players have been banned this year in regular games for far less damaging outcomes than what happened to Brayshaw. He is going to the tribunal because he took action that was avoidable, and resulted in the ending of a player's season and possibly career.

David Mundy, whom I trust and respect, has spoken. This doesn't look good for bruz.

And he's right of course. Maynard was clearly trying to make contact on Brayshaw.

What happened to intent being the main factor in a suspension? His intent was to spoil then mid air after the ball passes he realises it’s going to be a collision.

I like Goodwin’s short memory. Pickett on Bailey Smith earlier in the year was the worst act of the season when it comes to intent, it was just luck that Smith wasn’t concussed.

You have absolutely no idea what his intent was. That may have been part of his intent. But part of his intent may have also been to think " **** you I'm gonna make this hurt " on the way down. I strongly suspect this is what ran through his mind. It is Maynard after all.

The fact 95% of the football media thinks there is nothing in this, 95% of ex players think there is nothing in this.

The only people pushing suspension are Caro, Laura, Melbourne and Brisbane who both have a vested interest in Maynard missing the GF.
95% of the media are ex players who played when they didn't have the rules around protecting the head and allowed sling tackles, pinning arms, collecting people with a bump off the ball, etc. In the modern day if you leave the ground and collect someone in the head you need to do time. The attempted smother is a "football act", the collecting them in the head and knocking them out is not even if accidental as it is is careless.

The bizarre focus on this case about Maynard turning to brace for contact is nonsense - Maynard isn't capable of making a conscious choice whilst he is in the air and moving at that speed - and the bracing is purely instinctual at that point. Not bracing may have resulted in the same, or even a potentially worse outcome.

The sole point of contention is whether Maynard's conscious choice to leap forward to attempt to smother the ball, given the pace and direction that both he and Brayshaw were moving at, was careless rough conduct. Given the very wide interpretation of 'rough conduct', I could definitely see that Maynard is likely not to play again in 2023.

I don’t see how you could argue otherwise based on what has been happening over the last 5 or so years. He left the ground at speed, missed the ball (perhaps an unrealistic attempt, though I wouldn’t definitively say so), hit an opposition player late and high (down field free kick/illegal contact) and caused a concussion. He wasn’t competing for a ball in dispute like other incidents that have been referenced.

Anything other than multiple weeks on the sidelines would be a joke going against everything the AFL is working towards in regards to concussion and behaviour leading to brain injuries.

Unfortunately this is the way the game is in 2023. We can’t just ignore the rules because we don’t like them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know that people are saying Maynard shouldn't have braced. I think it was more that he should have more awareness than to find himself flying at that speed towards his opponent's head. The fact that he braced just increased the blunt force to Brayshaw's skull.

The lenient reading of this action is that he was trying to smother. I think that's true.

The cynical reading is that he couldn't have ironed out Brayshaw more effectively even if he was trying. I think that's also true.

Heaps are saying the big issue was the bracing and that's why he should be suspended. Supposedly the AFL are going to argue that the bracing constitutes electing to bump. I think that part of it is mental from the AFL - if he gets done they've told players to not get their head out of the way when they're about to collide with someone.

But I can see why he could be in trouble for the launch, if that's what they target. He was definitely trying to smother, but I think you can argue that he did so carelessly.

I would think that has already been considered as Maynard was charged with careless conduct rather than intentional conduct by the MRO. Can be suspended for either but higher penalties for intentional.

David Mundy, whom I trust and respect, has spoken. This doesn't look good for bruz.

““When you’ve jumped up and you’re in the air and there’s a player underneath you, you have the ability to almost catch yourself as you’re falling on top of them. It would have been really awkward and they’d have had a tumble, but that response has a much lesser chance of resulting in serious health concerns.””

Nailed it. Maynard made the decision to drop his shoulder when he had a viable alternative. It’s really that simple.

Yeah this is it, all the "what could he have done?" type arguments are talking about a time after the decision that should see him suspended was already made. Yeah, sure, once he's in the air he's got nowhere to go, but why is he there in the first place?

If you can't smother without jumping at full speed into the air in the direction of your opponent, knocking him out with your shoulder, you can't smother. Try something else.

Players take action to avoid hurting their opponent in almost every contest in almost every game. It's not hard. Players run at full speed at an opponent to close him down as he's kicking 100 times a game, but I can't recall a player getting knocked out in this manner before. If it's an "unavoidable football accident", we'd be seeing them every week.

Pretty sure Cripps was initially given 2 weeks, argued down by some dude in a suit on procedural fairness grounds. Loophole has since been closed off.
It's a joke though. Clearly only got off because he was polling alright in the Brownlow.

The fix was in, big time.

Can’t believe I’m defending brayden Maynard

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back