Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

What should happen with Maynard?

• 1-2 match suspension for careless, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 247 27.9%
  • 3-4 match suspension for intentional, med-high impact, high contact

Votes: 203 23.0%
  • 5+ match suspension, intentional or careless with severe impact, straight to tribunal

Votes: 68 7.7%
  • Charges downgraded to a fine

Votes: 52 5.9%
  • No charge/no penalty

Votes: 314 35.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

THE AFL has opted against appealing the Tribunal's decision in the Brayden Maynard case, meaning the Collingwood defender is in the clear to play in the Magpies' preliminary final.

The AFL, having brought the charge against Maynard, said on Wednesday that it would not challenge the Tribunal's ruling, but would comment further later in the day.

"The AFL has confirmed that after careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing into the incident involving Collingwood's Brayden Maynard and Melbourne's Angus Brayshaw, the AFL has decided not to appeal the Tribunal's decision," a statement read.

"Per the Tribunal Guidelines the AFL had to make this decision by 12:00pm AEST today.

"The AFL will release a further statement later today."
Finally some sanity 👍

DAVID MUNDY: “If Brayden Maynard was falling and that was Scott Pendlebury underneath him, I think he would make a different decision than cover up and just protect himself and not worry about the other player".
Bloke who watched the game from his couch has opinion with no relevance at all to what happened. What an important twist to the story!

DAVID MUNDY: “If Brayden Maynard was falling and that was Scott Pendlebury underneath him, I think he would make a different decision than cover up and just protect himself and not worry about the other player".
Why on earth would Maynard be attempting to smother a Scott Pendlebury kick? 🤔

Bloke who watched the game from his couch has opinion with no relevance at all to what happened. What an important twist to the story!

Yes "bloke from the couch". You mean the guy who played almost 400 games and only retired last year.

Yes I'm sure he has no idea what he's talking about.

So David Mundy is now a biomechanist?

It was proven that Maynard had no time to make any decision in the split second he had between looking down from the ball to the collision. All he did was flinch in an involuntary fashion that his brain made him do in an instinctive reaction of self-preservation.

Mundy is clearly another simpleton who hasn't even bothered to listen to or read the evidence.

Mate the biomechanics guy is from some shit college, ranked 35th in Australia.

He's just some guy your fancy lawyers wheeled out to get Maynard off.

He literally said Maynard was a human frisbee.

Mate the biomechanics guy is from some s**t college, ranked 35th in Australia.

He's just some guy your fancy lawyers wheeled out to get Maynard off.

He literally said Maynard was a human frisbee.
Wow, what a retort!

We will all bow to your superior knowledge on the subject.

With infallible logic like that who could even argue?

I agree with this. However this is an area where the MRO, tribunal and appeals board have established an expectation. By adjusting penalties for acts of remorse or contrition they have almost demanded that players undertake actions that Maynard did.

Regards

S. Pete
Yes, I agree that's what has happened, but I find it really problematic because it's a conflict of interest - there's no way to gauge the sincerity of such a visit. For the hearing, it really shouldn't come into it whether somebody is sorry. I would have had a better opinion of Maynard if he'd stayed home, because I don't really fault him for the incident on the field. The AFL tribunal should make a change to exclude acts of contrition from the hearing. It's not relevant and it's not reliable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I agree that's what has happened, but I find it really problematic because it's a conflict of interest - there's no way to gauge the sincerity of such a visit. For the hearing, it really shouldn't come into it whether somebody is sorry. I would have had a better opinion of Maynard if he'd stayed home, because I don't really fault him for the incident on the field. The AFL tribunal should make a change to exclude acts of contrition from the hearing. It's not relevant and it's not reliable.
You're acting like he did it just for the benefit of looking good for the tribunal.

All reports on Maynard suggest that he is a terrific guy with a big heart. It can't just be that he was caring about his mate?

Coll supporters- what if Toby greene had ended Nick Daicos' season in the same manner? No duty of care?
But he didn't. Your imagination doesn't count. Only actual incidents. Like in any court case.
Cases will be viewed on the evidence. Something that upsets those know all's with an opinion & NFI !!!!!

It was proven that Maynard had no time to make any decision in the split second he had between looking down from the ball to the collision. All he did was flinch in an involuntary fashion that his brain made him do in an instinctive reaction of self-preservation.

Mundy is clearly another simpleton who hasn't even bothered to listen to or read the evidence.

As the tribunal decision said, there is absolutely no legitimate basis for the argument that Maynard crashing into Brayshaw in a different manner would have definitely saved Brayshaw, and pointed out it may have just injured both of them.

'Yeah they were going to collide, but he should be able to override natural instinct and have done nothing to protect himself and just rolled the dice on the outcome for both himself and the guy he is about to hit'

There are actual adults making this argument. Lots of them. God help us all.

It was proven

No, it wasn't.

Biomechanist: Based on the numbers and research, it's difficult to conclusively say Maynard would've been able to make any conscious decision to reposition his body.

The biomechanist's opinion is that Maynard reacted instinctively, not deliberately.

That assumes he's reacting after the fact to Brayshaw being there. Which is a silly argument IMO. He knew Brayshaw was in the vicinity from the moment he made the decision to leave the ground, so whilst his eyes may have been on the ball, he knew Brayshaw was going to be there.

I'd trust the David Mundy who played 376 AFL games and has been retired for 1 year to have a better grasp of what players can and cannot do in a moment of time in the modern game over a biomechanist speculating.

Yeah he probably would make a different decision. Finals and intra clubs tend to be pretty different games.

Unsure why Maynard would be expecting Brayshaw to give him a cuddle and soft landing.

I'd trust the David Mundy who played 376 AFL games and has been retired for 1 year to have a better grasp of what players can and cannot do in a moment of time in the modern game over a biomechanist speculating.

You probably also believed Hird was innocent, so your guidance by others is pretty failed

No, it wasn't.

The biomechanist's opinion is that Maynard reacted instinctively, not deliberately.

That assumes he's reacting after the fact to Brayshaw being there. Which is a silly argument IMO. He knew Brayshaw was in the vicinity from the moment he made the decision to leave the ground, so whilst his eyes may have been on the ball, he knew Brayshaw was going to be there.

Depsite what you think he was for the second time cleared. He's free to play finals. Move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Maynard cleared by tribunal for Brayshaw collision

Back