Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't understand the club's logic in signing Nicks to avoid the noise. Surely they could see if Nicks had a season like this and they had signed him up, given he's now been there 5 years, there would be even more pressure and noise?

The noise this stupid decision has created is not just people wanting Nicks out, but people wanting most of the football department and board gone..... Had they not resigned Nicks and we had a bad season, nobody would have been calling for any removals aside from Nicks. The decision just makes less and less sense as the year goes on....

I still don't understand the club's logic in signing Nicks to avoid the noise. Surely they could see if Nicks had a season like this and they had signed him up, given he's now been there 5 years, there would be even more pressure and noise?

The noise this stupid decision has created is not just people wanting Nicks out, but people wanting most of the football department and board gone..... Had they not resigned Nicks and we had a bad season, nobody would have been calling for any removals aside from Nicks. The decision just makes less and less sense as the year goes on....
The whole club didn’t expect a bad year, after being ripped off they thought we’d just naturally progress upwards and take our rightful place in the 8.

So this whole list not being good enough is not what they thought going into the year.

But even with Nicks unsigned and under fire, the blowtorch would be on Hamish and Reid as well.

Cynical part of my brain wants to know if Roo looked at when Goodwin was coming out of contract and tried to make Nicks's exit align with that.

I said basically the same thing back in January...
If we start the season 0-5, it'll be pretty distracting having everybody screaming at them about why the **** they signed him before the season even got underway.
I guess it ended up being 1-4 rather than 0-5, but my point still stands.

So had we not signed him, do we think he’d be sacked by now?
I have a wild guess it would be similar to Shaw and Ayres. He'd be told he wouldn't be the coach after the end of the season, and given the option to resign now to allow the replacement/assessment processes to begin ASAP.

That said, back then it was a completely different era with far more competent minds in charge.

I think they were pretty confident we’d be baking finals and the only risk was media noise about his contract if we started slowly.

Why are you trying to understand it, as if it makes sense, as if there’s some sort of logic behind it?

There isn’t.

They don’t give a shit. They didn’t run through any of this when they made the decision, because they didn’t have to.

They don’t answer to you. They don’t answer to anyone. But especially not you.

Fans have to stop projecting their values onto the people who run this football club.

They are not like you.

For me the big issue in here is the contract extension. Why did we do that. OK we got robbed of a final spot last year so that gives everyone at the club a real sense of confidence. So sign him up.

Now most on here have been saying for a few years that we haven't exposed our youngsters enough and that has been a common issue for us supporters. Given that in the past 2-3 years this has been a common practise it suggests that it would continue in the future. (Thats one concern).

Most of us have been questioning the development of our youngsters especially when you compare to how other teams youngsters seem to break into the competition far quicker and create a name for themselves. (thats a second concern)

We lost Rahilly who was considered extremely highly by the club and was a major support for Nicks.

Surely these three major issues should have created concerns for the individuals who made the decision to offer Nicks a 2 year extension and negate the confidence that they had about how we performed last year.

So lets forget this years results. Based purely on how we performed last year (which was a reasonable result) where did the club get so much confidence to even make the decision to extend Nicks contract for two more years. If we had played and won a few final games (not the flag) then sure act aggressively to keep Nicks, but our performance didn't justify a preseason extension. That decision should have been made later this year.

It was dumb whichever way you slice it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are you trying to understand it, as if it makes sense, as if there’s some sort of logic behind it?

There isn’t.

They don’t give a shit. They didn’t run through any of this when they made the decision, because they didn’t have to.

They don’t answer to you. They don’t answer to anyone. But especially not you.

Fans have to stop projecting their values onto the people who run this football club.

They are not like you.
But why were they dumb in March instead of being dumb last October? What changed?

They were sold on Nicks all along. What was the trigger that causes them to pounce with their pent up dumbness at that moment and not earlier?

It doesn't even make sense for idiots.

A dumb club would sign him up at the end of last season off a near miss of 8th spot on promises about the future. A smart club would wait and see how things tracked before making a call.

We chose neither option...?

So had we not signed him, do we think he’d be sacked by now?
NO

How many knowledgeable people supporting Nicks do you need to hear from .......people are genuinely thick on this matter.....Contract status is irrelevant

But why were they dumb in March instead of being dumb last October? What changed?

They were sold on Nicks all along. What was the trigger that causes them to pounce with their pent up dumbness at that moment and not earlier?

It doesn't even make sense for idiots.

A dumb club would sign him up at the end of last season off a near miss of 8th spot on promises about the future. A smart club would wait and see how things tracked before making a call.

We chose neither option...?
They probably signed him in October, thought they could drag out the announcement for a good PR announcement after a couple of wins early in the year. Then when they saw how bad we were in Round 1 just decided to get it done and pretend the Suns game never happened.

NO

How many knowledgeable people supporting Nicks do you need to hear from .......people are genuinely thick on this matter.....Contract status is irrelevant
Ok knowledgeable Wayne, what makes Nicks a good coach worthy of re-signing him early letting alone not sacking him if we hadn’t?

You yourself his number one fanboi have said you’re going to wait until the end of the year to pass judgement, why should the club have done any different?

And remember when you were all for his re-signing? Odd position to have given you now want to wait until the end of the year to assess his coaching.

NO

People in the media very very rarely gun for the coach - they basically blame everything without naming Nicks....

Nicks has had 5 years at the club and has a 33% winning record, literally how much more do you need to see?

People in the media very very rarely gun for the coach - they basically blame everything without naming Nicks....

Nicks has had 5 years at the club and has a 33% winning record, literally how much more do you need to see?
Not one of these knowledgeable people have actually said what Nicks is good at besides being a good bloke, but what they’ve done is pot gameplan, selection, player development all things Nicks apparently isn’t responsible for.

Waynus himself won’t even say why Nicks is a good coach and should stay, it’s a wait and see from him.

Last edited:
Not one of these knowledgeable people have actually said what Nicks is good at besides being a good bloke, but what they’ve done is pot gameplan, selection, player development all things Nicks apparently isn’t responsible for.

Waynus himself won’t even say why Nicks is a good coach and should stay, it’s a wait and see from him.

I do find it hilarious when people come for list management and development and somehow Nicks isn't involved in this...

I do find it hilarious when people come for list management and development and somehow Nicks isn't involved in this...
Yep, having said that of all the areas he’s responsible for, there’s plenty to have a crack at him first. He doesn’t watch the draftees, they’d give him an idea of who they are drafting and that would be it. He’s ****ed up player development no doubt so needs to take responsibility there.

Our list issues are 80% Hamish, 10% Reid and 10% Nicks.

But in terms of coaching it’s 100% Nicks, Hamish and Reid would have no say.

Back