Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting that Nicks doesn't believe we need major list changes at the end of the year, but refuses to take any responsibility for his coaching and constantly blames the players

If we actually do have the right players, and we're currently sitting 15th, then what's the issue Nicks?

It's interesting that Nicks doesn't believe we need major list changes at the end of the year, but refuses to take any responsibility for his coaching and constantly blames the players

If we actually do have the right players, and we're currently sitting 15th, then what's the issue Nicks?
He thinks the injury excuse will save him.

And with the morons we have running this club, he's probably right.

What do you consider appropriate changes .....10 ?

Is it a numerical figure you're getting irritable over ....quantity over quality ?

If you added a Clayton Oliver and Marshall ....that's just two, and is not considered major changes to a list

You and others have a severely limited understanding of comprehension, context, and general footy knowledge ......not a rationale or individual thought to be found

It's a mob mentality .....and mobs are rarely good, nor right

Is it a numerical figure you're getting irritable over ....quantity over quality ?

If you added a Clayton Oliver and Marshall ....that's just two, and is not considered major changes to a list

You and others have a severely limited understanding of comprehension, context, and general footy knowledge ......not a rationale or individual thought to be found

On what planet is adding Clayton Oliver and Rowan Marshall in the same year not considered "major list changes"?

Nicks: No wholesale changes required at Crows​

Oh No Omg GIF by Apple TV+
Oh My God Omg GIF by NETFLIX
GIF by Blindspot
Sad Head In Hands GIF by Digital Pratik
Fail Oh No GIF by The Great British Bake Off
Not even an small EOFY Sale?!

On what planet is adding Clayton Oliver and Rowan Marshall in the same year not considered "major list changes"?
On the basis of your post, suggesting wholesale changes are in fact needed ......by backtracking and saying Oliver and Marshall are significant changes .....you therefore are supporting the POV that if you take 3-4 key players out of a side, thru injury ....that also has a significant impact on a list

You can't support one POV and not the other ......some traps are so easy to setup 🤣

On the basis of your post, suggesting wholesale changes are in fact needed ......by backtracking and saying Oliver and Marshall are significant changes .....you therefore are supporting the POV that if you take 3-4 key players out of a side, thru injury ....that also has a significant impact on a list

You can't support one POV and not the other ......some traps are so easy to setup 🤣

We went 0-4 at the start of the year with no significant injuries

Next

Exactly what I've been saying .....and why a) I wanted him re-appointed for the extra 2 years ....and b) why I said I would reserve my assessment till years end ... not after each win/loss ......it's about how he handles this list and his ability to turn it around

The two statements are not contradictory statements .......now is Blight also talking BS ? ....I think I'll default to experts in the field

We went 0-4 at the start of the year with no significant injuries

Next
That's pretty inciteful scorpus .....I could have simply looked at the ladder to find that out .....give me your explanation why ....your thoughts

Because COLL and BRIS, the Grand Finalists, also lost the first 3 games of 2024 .....it happens

Exactly what I've been saying .....and why a) I wanted him re-appointed for the extra 2 years ....and b) why I said I would reserve my assessment till years end ... not after each win/loss ......it's about how he handles this list and his ability to turn it around

The two statements are not contradictory statements .......now is Blight also talking BS ? ....I think I'll default to experts in the field

The answer to that question is no, we will find out Nicks cannot coach.

Dawson on tv news tonight. Was pleasing to see him even though he repeated the club line. So far he is the only club spokesman with any CRED .
I saw the interview; very disappointing.
He said that the players were surrounded by "great people in Head roles around the Club" <== this is the new Club song, apparently. It sounded to me like he was blaming the players.
What to do? It's "a simple fix", he said --- all they have to do is "start winning" and play the kind of footy that the supporters can be proud of. That's it; that's all. Just start winning.

I like Dawson but, hell, that's weak. How, Jordan, HOW?
Steve Martin, on how to become a millionaire: "First, get a million dollars" :expressionless:.

I remember an interview with Robert Harvey (all ready a dual Brownlow medallist at the time, so a helluva good player in his own right) who said that he'd learned more from Malcolm Blight about being a midfielder in just a few months than in all of his previous years.
Ahhhh, Blighty, now there was a Coach!
I wonder what Dawson, indeed any of our players, has learned from Nicks. Remember, Dawson had to go to Nicks and suggest he play as a mid. It didn't come from Nicks.

I don't agree with you or Blight on this one. Why piss away another 12 months on this same old nonsense?

A ruthless club would cut Nicks and start building a better assistant coaching panel.

Why do we have to do what's best by Matthew Nicks and not the club?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except that as usual Blight and Wayne are only saying the same thing in Wayne's imagination.

Blight saying that you find out whether he can coach now is the precise opposite of Wayne's complete excuse from consequences. It by necessity creates the possibility that the answer might be 'no'.

Last edited:
Nicks shows his respect for Wayne's 'doesnt have the cattle' argument. Back to the drawing board.
We've got the cattle

The other teams just have better cattle, that's all

That way we can lose and justify staying the course

I don't agree with you or Blight on this one. Why piss away another 12 months on this same old nonsense?

A ruthless club would cut Nicks and start building a better assistant coaching panel.

Why do we have to do what's best by Matthew Nicks and not the club?
That's fine, I don't expect the average supporter to agree with me .....however, I do reserve the right to have my opinions ....which unsurprisingly are supported by others in the know

You believe we're wasting another 12 months .....however, your assumption is, the next Coach is an absolute guaranteed premiership Coach :padlock: ......how do you have such optimism, when you haven't even got a coach named, and whoever it is, will also be a first time Coach .....so we'll potentially go thru another 3 years settling in period

And of course that also assumes, you believe the list is fine, and it's simply the Coach, who is bad ?

I saw the interview; very disappointing.
He said that the players were surrounded by "great people in Head roles around the Club" <== this is the new Club song, apparently. It sounded to me like he was blaming the players.
What to do? It's "a simple fix", he said --- all they have to do is "start winning" and play the kind of footy that the supporters can be proud of. That's it; that's all. Just start winning.

I like Dawson but, hell, that's weak. How, Jordan, HOW?
Steve Martin, on how to become a millionaire: "First, get a million dollars" :expressionless:.

I remember an interview with Robert Harvey (all ready a dual Brownlow medallist at the time, so a helluva good player in his own right) who said that he'd learned more from Malcolm Blight about being a midfielder in just a few months than in all of his previous years.
Ahhhh, Blighty, now there was a Coach!
I wonder what Dawson, indeed any of our players, has learned from Nicks. Remember, Dawson had to go to Nicks and suggest he play as a mid. It didn't come from Nicks.
The club is grabbing at straws and Dawson is the only credible face. And what can he say but the party line. We have a club that cannot reshape internally. There is only one way forward and that is with a notable ‘proven’ new face. Enter stage left Neil Balme.

The club is grabbing at straws and Dawson is the only credible face. And what can he say but the party line. We have a club that cannot reshape internally. There is only one way forward and that is with a notable ‘proven’ new face. Enter stage left Neil Balme.
You do understand, Balme would simply be a consultant ....he won't be a decision maker

His previous role in coming to RICH, was as a decision maker ....that was a full-time role, this is not

Captain thinks the players are surrounded by "great people".
Coach says it's not the list.
:think: :think: ... only two possibilities left:
Either Nicks himself, or injuries.
He thinks the injury excuse will save him.
I think the injury excuse has saved him, at least internally.
It's not the list/players.
It's not the Club Admin., or the Coach, or the assistants. They are "great people" according to the Captain..
It must be injuries.
It's the only thing that has happened beyond his control that the Club Admin. and Nicks have left to blame.

But then there's this:
It's not about how many players, or changes.
Sorry, WW but that's just a red herring/deflection which does not address the fair question asked by Scorpus:
"If we actually do have the right players, and we're currently sitting 15th, then what's the issue Nicks?"
I'd suggest that it's not wise to antagonise or belittle the people who disagree with you, but stick to facts where possible to support your position/opinions.
What you've said above is that you do have the "understanding of comprehension, context, and general footy knowledge" = you're right. We (who disagree with you) are not blessed in that way, so we're wrong.
Many posters use the very ineffective claim that: "If you think X/Y/Z, you know nothing about footy".
It's smug and condescending to say the least, WW, and beneath you.

Fwiw, what does "understanding of comprehension":drunk: even mean, seriously, since 'understanding' and 'comprehension' are pretty much the same thing.
Understanding of understanding? Comprehension of comprehension? What the actual ...?:confusedv1:
So, we are the ones with the torches and pitchforks and you're the martyr in white tied to the pole above a huge pile of wood?
Or maybe:
Your endless, tiresome defence of Nicks and the Club is untenable?

So, we are the ones with the torches and pitchforks and you're the martyr in white tied to the pole above a huge pile of wood?
Or maybe:
Your endless, tiresome defence of Nicks and the Club is untenable?
So your belief is ...this forum should only allow POV's that are supported by the majority ....independent thought should be dismissed .....the majorities POV is right

Did I get that correct .....no discussion entered into, any dissention needs to be squashed .....that's an interesting and dangerous POV to hold

Back