Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach (Part 2) - Full Support of the Board

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are McHenry and Murphy the only ones capable of maintaining this fabled shape of ours that has opposition clubs quaking?

And will one or both of them be poached once the competition catches on?
NO they won't. McHeadless should be the first one delisted and Murphy is under a new contract unfortunately.

Following the game plan and being in the right position is the absolute bare minimum ability of any AFL player on any list

It's like being able to run. If you can't stand somewhere useful on the field or can't run you shouldn't be on a list

the question that I'd like answered is whether shape holding is mutually exclusive from winning the ball and inputting positively with ball in hand. Is there a maximum amount of possessions that a player can have whilst still maintaining enough 'shape'. If we could recruit prime Cyril, would he fail the 'shape' test? Or would we have to drop someone like Rachele, because he can't keep 'shape' like Murphy or McHenry can?

Nicks isn't that deep a thinker. Crouch was always going to revert once he'd been given a contract. We should have let Crouch walk as a FA and we'd have gotten a third. Now we need to try and force him and/or Laird out whilst both are at their lowest value.

Well hello, no-one wanted Crouch as a FA.

Laird has a contract to the end of 2026 so good luck with getting a trade there. We need to tell Laird that he has to go back to the SANFL and may do so until his contract finishes.

the question that I'd like answered is whether shape holding is mutually exclusive from winning the ball and inputting positively with ball in hand. Is there a maximum amount of possessions that a player can have whilst still maintaining enough 'shape'. If we could recruit prime Cyril, would he fail the 'shape' test? Or would we have to drop someone like Rachele, because he can't keep 'shape' like Murphy or McHenry can?

The other, more important point is that getting buy in from players to follow your game plan and training them to do so is your job. If Ned is the only one capable of following your game plan maybe look in the mirror instead of denying talented young players the opportunities they deserve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was very firmly in the wait until midway through the year to see how the team was travelling before making a call on Nicks. I wasn't demanding miracles, just improvement.

We're now 10 rounds in, have only won 3 games, our best is no better than last year, our worst is worse and being produced more often than last year. I can't think of any area that we've improved significantly in, and in most areas we've regressed.

I've seen enough. Sack him.

And yet, in the PS chats .....I doubt there was one poster on this Board, who didn't think we'd make the Final 8 .....so everyone was more or less happy with list .....and now it's a crap list 🤣

Let's phrase it better ....our list is lacking depth, be it talent, or youth that is undeveloped
I don’t think the list is all that bad. Got to try some of these uncapped guys to see what they have got.

I don’t think the list is all that bad. Got to try some of these uncapped guys to see what they have got.

You play a good chunk of young players once you have given up on the season. So yes probably right time as young players are very very inconsistent which isn’t their fault it’s just a fact. All footy supporters know this

The club have had a crack and failed. They should now have discovered their shortcomings which is their list. Tex is probably done Sloane is gone smith is done laird is on his way out crouch is slowing down, the players we drafted to replace them haven’t stood up yet, will they

To win a flag you need at least 10 guns and they will carry the so so players we have two go have a look at the list for our last premiership

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If in the next 3 weeks we don't see any new faces from the 2s then we never will. I doubt we will given they are now all must-wins.

Nicks has his 26-28 players we will ever dare to consider and I think it's pretty clear who the preferred 23 are.

You can demonstrate discontent with list management by going to fresh faces and switching the magnets but that hasn't been Nicks and isn't and won't be. He has no doubt been up to his eyeballs in the decision making both at the draft and free agency. This is his team.

I assume he believes we will get a couple in via trade period this year. The club haven't been silent on this and it's reasonable to assume that they think they've had the drafts to get the pieces and now uts time to add some quality and go all in. Fine.

But if we arent hitting finals by 2025 how can he expect even the club to keep eating his rubbish up?

If in the next 3 weeks we don't see any new faces from the 2s then we never will. I doubt we will given they are now all must-wins.

Nicks has his 26-28 players we will ever dare to consider and I think it's pretty clear who the preferred 23 are.

You can demonstrate discontent with list management by going to fresh faces and switching the magnets but that hasn't been Nicks and isn't and won't be. He has no doubt been up to his eyeballs in the decision making both at the draft and free agency. This is his team.

I assume he believes we will get a couple in via trade period this year. The club haven't been silent on this and it's reasonable to assume that they think they've had the drafts to get the pieces and now uts time to add some quality and go all in. Fine.

But if we arent hitting finals by 2025 how can he expect even the club to keep eating his rubbish up?
If we don't make finals next year he's gone and he knows it.

Are you seriously trying to claim that Dawson has not played forward at various times this season?

Centre half forward doofus
A key position.

So I ask again, when did he play CHF?
I’ll help you out, he didn’t.

And to humour you, for example say, had he been shifted to play a key forward position previously that would undermine your bizarre notion that moves like that can’t and don’t happen. You would be arguing that such a move is a common one

Centre half forward doofus
A key position.

So I ask again, when did he play CHF?
I’ll help you out, he didn’t.

And to humour you, for example say, had he been shifted to play a key forward position previously that would undermine your bizarre notion that moves like that can’t and don’t happen. You would be arguing that such a move is a common one

Credit to you, you are very good at creating straw man argument.

However, firstly, you’re the one trying to make yourself sound smart by arguing he’s played forward, but never as a centre half forward. You realise that most teams generally don’t use the terminology of half forward flank, centre half forward, full forward etc to describe their positions? It’s something we say to understand the game but I really doubt that at any point the phrase: move Dawson to CHF was said. What was actually different about the way Dawson played yesterday to when he has previously spent periods in the forward line?

Secondly, I never argued that position changes do not happen. Go back and read what I said, original post said that Nicks was trying to create a coaching matrix, implying that it was a bad thing. I said that that is kind of what successful modern coaches do, they have their plan A, then they go in with a bunch of different pre planned positional or tactical moves they will make to address certain issues. I say that because I’ve heard in interviews and read articles where coaches make that exact point. I used the phrase “pulling levers” because that’s the exact terminology that Buckley used on On the Couch once.

Again, my whole point was that any coach trying to create a system of pre planned moves that they can go to at given moments is not a bad thing. Good game day coaching is about knowing when to go to those options. As an example, Keays went to Pendlebury for periods, do you think that was something Nicks dreamt up on the spot, or is having Keays do a tagging role something they have planned and trained for? Clearly, it’d be the latter.

My whole point, which I’ve repeated multiple times, and you keep choosing not to listen to, is that modern day coaches are not coming up with brand new ideas in the middle of games on a regular basis like they used to.

Collingwood on Saturday were a prime example, when they were up they were playing a certain way. Then when we went ahead you could very clearly see them flick a switch tactically. They’re obviously trained that when in situation x they play a certain way and players might go to different positions.

Again, my whole point was that any coach trying to create a system of pre planned moves that they can go to at given moments is not a bad thing. Good game day coaching is about knowing when to go to those options. As an example, Keays went to Pendlebury for periods, do you think that was something Nicks dreamt up on the spot, or is having Keays do a tagging role something they have planned and trained for? Clearly, it’d be the latter.
Exactly ....Coaches do scenario's as part of team selection

If player "A" is tagged ....how do we respond
If player "B" is injured, and we have to invoke the sub ....how do we alter structures ....given an injury is rarely like for like
Are we playing stoppage game, transition game .....and how the oppo try to counter our gameplan ....what options have we prepared

The question is, can players adapt & implement changing roles in-game .....and the criticism's of the Coach are normally around timing of changing a failed scenario ....too soon, too late

Whether you're a fan of pre-game scenarios or coaches making in-game "shoot from the hip" moves .....criticism of Coaches has always been around timing of changes

Back