Rumour Mackie to Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I cannot believe this thread is still going, Mackie is not going nowhere and has a 4 year contract with Geelong.

Since when did contracts mean anything? They are not worth the paper they are written on...Look at Thompson, Hinkley,Fevola,Alan Richardson,I could go on and on, with broken contracts.. They mean NOTHING, not when clubs want to get rid of players,coaches etc.They may mean the $$$ will be honoured, but it doesn't mean tish when it comes to remaining at the clubs they signed the contract with..

Hahaha first Thornton, now Mackie the Hackie???

So Pelch's "premiership model" now requires a 3rd, 4th, and 5th man up?
Stuff it, lets make a play for Chadwick Cornes, and coax Tom Harley out of retirement while we're at it.

Tis the silly season after all...

Deny it all you want it's what the sources are pointing to.

It's not as far fetched you think either, good kick and good drive, something we lacked last year and may need to use to compete with the changing game style.

They just shut the Mackie rumour down on AFL trade week radio. "If this was a possibility, we would have heard about it" was pretty much what they said. Also shut down the Cale Hooker rumour but said they would ask Pelchen about both these players when he is on at 1:30pm.

They just shut the Mackie rumour down on AFL trade week radio. "If this was a possibility, we would have heard about it" was pretty much what they said. Also shut down the Cale Hooker rumour but said they would ask Pelchen about both these players when he is on at 1:30pm.

I wonder why Pelican keeps flying for the microphone??

Maybe he needs to keep hosing down some of the silly season rumours I suppose.:confused:

Everybody said 5 years ago that the game was turning into 20 mids with a few talls thrown in. Maybe we are the next phase of footy, and if we can get 4 or 5 bodies to every contest we may be able to stop the supply to the Opposition KP.

I hated the Gibson trade last year. but this might work

Mackie would be a great addition to our team, but if we are making a play for a proper gorilla FB, then obviously he's not the best option.

Having said that, we have Shoey in the wings, maybe Milne to fill those roles.

Personally, I reckon, as a rebounding defender, Mackie has it all over Birchall. Birchall is not a defender, and I question whether he has the pace or the tank to go on a wing/midfield.

There's nothing stopping a team (Gee) trading a contracted player to another club providing the contracted player agrees to the trade and new club.

yes but if the player has 3 years to run on his contract then you would say we hold all the cards. theres no way we would trade him away unless it was for something that we would consider over his value. no point trading otherwise.

this is why talks of the compo pick being enough are rubbish... for god sake even richard tambling went for more than that, come on guys be serious

yes but if the player has 3 years to run on his contract then you would say we hold all the cards. theres no way we would trade him away unless it was for something that we would consider over his value. no point trading otherwise.

this is why talks of the compo pick being enough are rubbish... for god sake even richard tambling went for more than that, come on guys be serious

Mackie has bugger all value.

Mackie will be a great player , loves Geelong and will not be leaving.
I would love to have him at Hawthorn but cannot see it happening, especially if Hinkley is coach next season ;)

well you obviously have no idea then. if you honestly think richard tambling is worth more than andrew mackie then good luck to you. but if the deal goes through, which i'm not saying it will, be prepared to be dissapointed because he is worth considerably more

I would definitely disagree, but the reality is, since he's contracted until the end of 2013, he has whatever value we decide he's worth, and clearly Geelong will want more than Hawthorn are willing to give. And unlike some clubs who may move players on this trade period because of the threat of them going to GWS, that's not an issue for us with Mackie, so he won't be moving unless we get an absolutely too good to refuse deal, which you won't offer.

Hence I think we can all put this one down as a rumour that will never translate into an actual trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never disputed that fact.

On the flip side however, you don't want a player playing for you that doesn't want to be there.

Does the boss want someone working for him when the worker is only giving 70%?

No, but when the opposition is offering up something that will give you only a 50% return, you keep him every day of the week.

So unless, the offer blows Stephen Wells socks off, its fair to say that mackie will be in the hoops again next year.

I never disputed that fact.

On the flip side however, you don't want a player playing for you that doesn't want to be there.

No, but when the alternative is releasing him to a direct competitor for far less than adequate compensation, you'll keep him.

No, but when the opposition is offering up something that will give you only a 50% return, you keep him every day of the week.

So unless, the offer blows Stephen Wells socks off, its fair to say that mackie will be in the hoops again next year.

Agreed.

Thats why talk of Ladson and a draft pick just won't get the deal done imo.

Has to be something along the lines of Lewis and a 3rd rounder for Mackie and a 2 rounder... or something along those lines.

Agreed.

Has to be something along the lines of Lewis and a 3rd rounder for Mackie and a 2 rounder... or something along those lines.

Are you serious...... Lewis and a 3rd rounder for Mackie.......NO WAY

They would be laughing at us.

Was speaking with a mate of mine (who works down geelong way) at cricket training tonight and he said that we were in discussions with Andrew Mackie and his management about a move to Hawthorn.

My mate said that mackie was pretty cut up about getting dropped during the finals and was looking for a change.

Fits in with the un-named defender that the AFL website is reporting.

I reckon he would be a good fit. Can play tall or small and has good footskills as well. Not many players leave Geelong so maybe he can unlock their secrets for us.

Thoughts?

sorry mate :( but i called up trade week radio at about 4.45 and i asked what the deal was with Mackie and they said they havent heard anything, and Damien Barrat said this....so i dont think Mackie will be coming this year

sorry mate :( but i called up trade week radio at about 4.45 and i asked what the deal was with Mackie and they said they havent heard anything, and Damien Barrat said this....so i dont think Mackie will be coming this year
Damian Barratt doesn't know everything. Not saying the rumour is true, cause we don't know.... but I think you might be giving ol' Damian a little too much credit.

We need a KP defender.

Consider our losses/close wins this year and the opposition forward's output. In each of these games they kicked above their average.

R2 Geel - Mooney 4
R3 WB - Hall 6
R5 Nth - Hale 3
R6 Ess - Hurley 4
R7 WC - Kennedy 6
R8 Rich - Rieoldt 4
R9 Syd - White 3
R12 Adel - Tippet 4
R17 StK - Kozi 3
R18 Port - Schulz 4

A lot of these games were low scoring which highlights the importance of their games and the opposition coach's tactic of exploiting our weakness.

If we add one key defender like a Thursfield it will allow players like Gilham & co. to support and mop up more effectively like we were able to do when Croady was playing in 2008.

Mackie is not the answer.

Bit less of that well reasoned & researched posting please sir!!!! :thumbsu:

Some on this board thinking we don't need a KP defender is naive in the extreme but some here just don't get that.

Unfortunately there might not be any quality ones around, so you take what you can get.

I too like the idea of Thursfield. Should be relatively cheap & doesn't have to play EVERY week, only when required.

Same with the Mackie thing, don't really need him, but in my opinion a better defender then Birchall will ever be (can actually compete overhead!!) but I can't see the point of paying over the odds for him; would still be a good get though..... ;)

Ever thought that there may be some issues that makes him not wanted or that the cats have realised he is over paid & want to off load him?

So does Pelchen have to ring Trade Week Radio and Barrat before he speaks to anyone about potential trades? :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back