Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2014 Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely this year also. Not even aware that he was invited to the state screenings.

There are always so many excellent smalls that it is consistently challenging for those smalls to get noticed and get onto the shortlists of clubs.

North have a few picks there (16, 25, 36) so there is quite a range there but a few have been saying North Melbourne may be an eventual destination.

North is in desperate need of a young big KPF who can go into the forward line alongside black and Brown when Petrie and Waite retire.

Is there ANY chance GWS do not take Pickett with pick 7 :(

It's not out of the question but the recent talk anyway seems to be that GWS like Pickett.

If GWS pass it's just another opportunity for Gold Coast to add to that list of damaging outside weapons.

Hey Knightmare do you think there any chance of Hawthorn taking a tall forward with their first pick(31) as back up for roughie, someone like Reece Mckenzie, as we seem to have good depth in other positions around the ground.
Cheers

Hey Knightmare do you think there any chance of Hawthorn taking a tall forward with their first pick(31) as back up for roughie, someone like Reece Mckenzie, as we seem to have good depth in other positions around the ground.
Cheers

North Melbourne may take him before Hawthorn's first pick.

If there he could be in the mix and would be a logical choice with Hawthorn in my view needing another top quality key forward and key defender but Hawthorn generally like more versatile talls so whether R.McKenzie would be on that shortlist even if he is available I cannot answer.

So KM, just a couple of questions:

Outside of Cockatoo, whom do you think is West Coast's first pick going to be?

Who is your most likely tip as to which player is ready to go from Rd1 next year and play most games?

Cheers

So KM, just a couple of questions:

Outside of Cockatoo, whom do you think is West Coast's first pick going to be?

Who is your most likely tip as to which player is ready to go from Rd1 next year and play most games?

Cheers

Cockatoo and Garlett maybe. Weller also makes sense, as does Ahern for West Coast.

Who plays the most games will depend on who lands where. Heeney as an example at Sydney some might say is the best rounded midfielder in the draft but on that Sydney team, that's a hard team to break into and as a win now situation unless he is clear best 22 he will struggle for games.

Petracca and Brayshaw are the two obvious ones. Blakely could be a regular from the start for a team depending on where he lands.

Firstly I'd like to say great work Knightmare. Every year I enjoy reading your work.

As a avid West Coast fan I'd like to go with Cockatoo at pick 11. IF and that's a big IF Pickett and Coackatoo were both available at pick 11 i'd go Cockatoo. Might be a gamble as we have seen less of him but i'm also as a South Freo fan and i've seen Pickett regularly and I think the bigger body of Cockatoo would suit us a bit more. We need both dont get me wrong but I think Cockatoo type is harder to come by than Pickett. I always say to friends the Eagles need that Burgoyne type in the guts. Everyone says we need size and pace in there and I think Cockatoo oozes both and he is that Burgoyne type we need. Hopefully Murray Newman can improve and be the Picketr type and we have both :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great read Knightmare , do you think Tyler Cornish will be picked up anywhere ?

Cornish has played well in the NEAFL for Gold Coast. Has a very good inside game and did a terrific job elevating his game this year. Outside chance as a rookie.

Firstly I'd like to say great work Knightmare. Every year I enjoy reading your work.

As a avid West Coast fan I'd like to go with Cockatoo at pick 11. IF and that's a big IF Pickett and Coackatoo were both available at pick 11 i'd go Cockatoo. Might be a gamble as we have seen less of him but i'm also as a South Freo fan and i've seen Pickett regularly and I think the bigger body of Cockatoo would suit us a bit more. We need both dont get me wrong but I think Cockatoo type is harder to come by than Pickett. I always say to friends the Eagles need that Burgoyne type in the guts. Everyone says we need size and pace in there and I think Cockatoo oozes both and he is that Burgoyne type we need. Hopefully Murray Newman can improve and be the Picketr type and we have both :)

My attitude with Newman is if he comes on that is a bonus. I'd take Pickett if there over Cockatoo, but with Cockatoo I completely get it if West Coast take him and largely for the reasons you outline - he is just so unique at his height with his pace and ability to take on the game.

Im hearing Saints are still tossing up between Petracca and McCartin.

Is there a bih chance McCartin could go number 1?

I haven't heard anything about McCartin being in the mix for pick 1 of late, I imagine if the Saints were leaning that way they would have traded down to Melbourne's pick 3 and just add him there.

It's not certain until we hear it is certain but Petracca looks like the likely pick for the Saints.

Petracca, Duggan and Garlett. For realzies Knightmare ? That would be amazing. Also, Nakia Cockatoo ahead of Peter Wright, really? What's going on with this draft order, so many long time top 10 picks sliding now.

Petracca, Duggan and Garlett. For realzies Knightmare ? That would be amazing. Also, Nakia Cockatoo ahead of Peter Wright, really? What's going on with this draft order, so many long time top 10 picks sliding now.

Pick 21/22 is the sweet spot to be picking this year. Essendon also should be really pleased with 17/20.

For the Saints it's a case of regardless of who clubs are looking at someone will fall through to the Saints.

Duggan, Marchbank, perhaps both McKenzie boys are there or if not those boys some others will drop through. A Maynard or Neal-Bullen could be considerations. The Saints are in the sweet spot a bit like last year and have a good opportunity not just but pick one but those picks in the 20s to bring in some long term pieces with correct talent identification.

He was listed at 192 cm a year ago.

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2013-11-25/a-look-ahead-to-2014-draft

Maybe there's a conspiracy, or maybe he's shrunk. More likely, you're wrong.

I can't help but not trust the measurements.

It's like with now Brisbane Lion Jackson Paine. He was listed at 193cm at the time of drafting and 194cm post draft but he'd only in reality be no taller than 190/191cm as a guy noticeably shorter than those who measure in at the same height if you actually see him up close.

It's the same story with McCartin whenever you see him around any of the other players he has competed against, understanding their measurements like the back of my hand, he's noticeably shorter than others with similar measurements.

Knighters, any chance Essendon can get Caleb Marchbank with either Pick 17 or Pick 20 and get Kovacevic in the RD?

Marchbank is a plausible slider but it depends on the plans of those other clubs with earlier picks.

Kovacevic in the rookie draft should be available.

North Melbourne may take him before Hawthorn's first pick.

If there he could be in the mix and would be a logical choice with Hawthorn in my view needing another top quality key forward and key defender but Hawthorn generally like more versatile talls so whether R.McKenzie would be on that shortlist even if he is available I cannot answer.
Clarkson seems to like the versatile forwards, and we have a few of those up and coming(O'Brien, willsmore, Sicily). If Oscar McDonald and Reece Mckenzie were both available at 31, I would think they would take McDonald. Could you see hawks taking a key position over a mid with that pick though???
Cheers KM

Clarkson seems to like the versatile forwards, and we have a few of those up and coming(O'Brien, willsmore, Sicily). If Oscar McDonald and Reece Mckenzie were both available at 31, I would think they would take McDonald. Could you see hawks taking a key position over a mid with that pick though???
Cheers KM

Hawthorn could do with the next generation key position stocks. Just depends on availability and whether they are deemed appropriate value selections. A young tall isn't going to help winning over the next two years which probably is the last of Hawthorn's premiership window so that will also come into calculations and to what extent Hawthorn are going win now v long term if either/or both of McKenzie and McDonald are available.

I've seen changes to the top 25 or so almost every day this week KM. Not highlighting it to be smart as your phantom is the pinnacle but I've just noticed as I always look at who is at 21/22/41 & its changing daily. Would you regard this year as your toughest year to predict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back