ICC T20 World Cup 2024 USA/West Indies (June 2-June 29)

Who will win the T20 World Cup in 2024?

• India

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Australia

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • England

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • South Africa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Zealand

• Pakistan

• West Indies

• Sri Lanka

• Bangladesh

• Afghanistan

• Netherlands

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Ireland

• Namibia

• Scotland

• Oman

• Uganda

• Nepal

• USA

• Canada

• Papua New Guinea

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The Super 6's in the 50 over ODI World Cup was open for manipulation. From memory, Australia had to bat relatively slower against West Indies to allow both them and the Windies to progress.

It was farcical . Australia needed to bat 47.2 overs in the chase at least to allow them to carry points over to the next stage.

Im not sure carrying points over to the next stage, would solve that problem.

The Super 6's in the 50 over ODI World Cup was open for manipulation. From memory, Australia had to bat relatively slower against West Indies to allow both them and the Windies to progress.

It was farcical . Australia needed to bat 47.2 overs in the chase at least to allow them to carry points over to the next stage.

The Super 6/8 format is always open to manipulation and having 20 teams in the T20 World Cup is absurd considering a lot of big margins (looking at you Uganda). Should be 14/16 teams - 2 groups of 7/8, then straight to semi finals. It means then if a team has a washout game they still have a decent chance of qualifying for semi finals via the other games.

yeah you have a fair point but if ALL points gained in the group stage was carried over, the above situation wouldn't have happened.

Can someone explain to me why the seedings took precedence over finishing positions in the Super 8? We should be playing USA, SA and the loser of WI/Afghanistan. Joke.

Can someone explain to me why the seedings took precedence over finishing positions in the Super 8? We should be playing USA, SA and the loser of WI/Afghanistan. Joke.
Officially it was because they wanted travelling fans to know where the super 8 matches would be far enough in advance to book flights and accommodation plans. There is merit to this argument, and it is, to an extent, common. (Both recent men's World Cups in Australia - 2015 CWC and 2022 T20WC - had Australia guaranteed to play at certain venues in knock out matches.)

But also the ICC were trying to manufacture certain match-ups in the semis and final, to maximise eyeballs and dollars.

I think everyone and his dog agrees Warner no longer deserves his spot in the side
Stoinis too. How people are defending this selection is truly mystifying to me, he has been hopeless for large chunks then an odd innings (usually a pretty meaningless one) to cement his spot for another year.

JFM is young and has the ability to improve rapidly, the other 2 do not. Take the punt

Short should be in the side too if you want to use BBL form but many here are just picking and choosing when to use form and when to ignore it
1000000783.png

Just dropping in to note that Warner and Stoinis are both in the top 7 run scorers for the tournament so far. Stoinis also has the 3rd best strike rate and has taken 7 wickets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoinis is having a good series, still think he's largely cooked, this is the outlier and I wouldn't have picked him, but given this is more important than the other competitions where he's underperformed, I guess the selectors and right and I am wrong on this one.
I think its fair to say most people would have agreed pre-tournament. But both Stoin and Warner have done really well so far and stepped up. I say that as someone that also wonders how Stoin gets a game beyond the vibes.

West Indies being knocked out means the poor record of hosts in T20 World Cups continues. Hosts have made semi-finals in only two of the nine T20WCs, compared to 11 from 13 in the 50-over CWC.

View attachment 2025705

Just dropping in to note that Warner and Stoinis are both in the top 7 run scorers for the tournament so far. Stoinis also has the 3rd best strike rate and has taken 7 wickets.
While we're digging up old posts, want to go find the one where I said Warner will bash the minnows which will make his average look nice and fail when it counts. Exactly what happened...

While we're digging up old posts, want to go find the one where I said Warner will bash the minnows which will make his average look nice and fail when it counts. Exactly what happened...
i-told-you-warn.gif

The playing conditions for the two semi-finals, though, are different. The second semi-final, featuring India and England, will not have a reserve day because of a single day's gap between that match and the final.

However, a total of 250 minutes of additional time is available for each semi-final. The first semi-final will have an extra 60 minutes at the end of the day's play and a further 190 minutes on the reserve day, starting from 2pm local time. The second semi-final will have the entire 250 minutes available on the scheduled day since it doesn't have a reserve day.

Additionally, for a game to be constituted as complete in the semi-finals and final, both teams should bat a minimum of 10 overs per innings, as opposed to five overs per innings in the rest of the tournament. This could be significant as rain has been forecast at both venues, and the playing conditions state that in case of a washout, the team that finishes higher in their respective Super Eight groups (India and South Africa, in this case) will proceed. In case the final is abandoned because of poor weather, the two finalists will be declared joint winners.

Back