Roast How diabolical is our midfield?

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of that is down to how "vanilla" our midfield is. When Laird, Crouch and Dawson roll up into the midfield you do not need to spend any time defensively on Crouch and Laird. If they win it you roll off and double Dawson and cover the wings because you know there's little chance Laird/Crouch drive it forward and likely go lateral to a Dawson and force it to be his problem to move the ball.

There's no suprise when we get guys like Rankine/Soligo etc in there we start to get better I50 entries because suddenly the opposition has to defend long forward movement, rather than just short lateral/backwards movement.
If Crouch gets it he is to slow to blast the ball forward therefore he kicks it back or sideways (away from the goals).

And recruitment where every club must nail their first round pick.
Not even that.

Sydney are #1 and spent Pick 18 (Heeney as an Academy player), Pick #25 on Rowbottom and Pick #32 on Gulden. Hawks are 6th on Newcombe (Mid-Season pick), Connor Nash (Cat B rookie) and Worpel (Pick 45)

We could easily trot out a starting midfield of Dawson, Pedlar and Soligo for example that couldn't possibly do any worse than Dawson, Laird and Crouch but we have unimaginative coaches who over value experience over performance.

Crouch on the news defending he and Laird. The highlights showed him kicking sideways and Laird missing targets. Classic one of Laird not even able to make a 20 metre pass to a clear leading forward.

Our poor forwards. Slow moving ball movement, being out numbered as our genius coaches push forwards up the ground, then we either bomb or shank our passes.

It’s a horror story. Our forwards could lead more or work harder but at what point do they think what’s the point? Would be very deflating.

Maybe I'm out of line, but what we seem to lack is not so much the CB attendees or even the stoppage clearances, its the lack of influence of the midfielders around the ground in general play.

Melbourne didn't beat Adelaide at the stoppages but Petracca, Viney and co slaughtered us when the ball was moving, winning possessions, linking going forward and providing hurt factor with their possessions.

Soligo is the only guy coming close to that this year and other than some Dawson games last year, it hasn't been a Crows strength for years.

Maybe I'm out of line, but what we seem to lack is not so much the CB attendees or even the stoppage clearances, its the lack of influence of the midfielders around the ground in general play.

Melbourne didn't beat Adelaide at the stoppages but Petracca, Viney and co slaughtered us when the ball was moving, winning possessions, linking going forward and providing hurt factor with their possessions.

Soligo is the only guy coming close to that this year and other than some Dawson games last year, it hasn't been a Crows strength for years.
I'm sure we'd be near the top of the league for scores against from intercepts in our forward half. We give teams way too much opportunity to quickly set up play and rebound with poor entries to out numbered contests.

Felt like every score Freo got for example was set up by us turning the ball over going inside 50 for example.

I'm sure we'd be near the top of the league for scores against from intercepts in our forward half. We give teams way too much opportunity to quickly set up play and rebound with poor entries to out numbered contests.

Felt like every score Freo got for example was set up by us turning the ball over going inside 50 for example.

So who sets the intercept marking record for Carlton this week?

I can say for a fact (having reviewed the footage) that Fremantle scored 1 goal and 1 behind directly from kick ins, and Adelaide never touched the ball in either passage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a point to be made there. But I don't think it's the one Van Berlo is trying to make.

Adelaide do not have many attacking forward options. Last years first choice forwards were generally Walker,Fogarty,Thilthorpe,Rankine,Rachele,Pedlar.

This year so far Walker,Fogarty,Rachele,Burgess. Pedlar was not playing an attacking role even when he was in the side, and wasn't replaced with an attacking player either. And Rankine is up towards midfield as often as not (this is a good decision, but the strategy should acknowledge he can't be two places at once.)

There's just not enough attacking options. Which is why everything immediately grinds to a halt once the ball is somewhere between wing and half-forward

Was Van Berlo just being supportive of his midfielders? Surely he doesn't genuinely think we're travelling well.

The proof will be in who goes through there this week
He’s being stubborn for to make change means the outside noise was correct and the coaches were wrong.

Nicks when he caught up with King disagreed with his assessment of our midfield and showed vision of other areas where we were going wrong. That why you heard the bullshit they’ve discovered what’s wrong and it’s shape.

The mids as Crouch said and VB said are doing what the coaches want, they are winning their share of contests and clearances. In their minds the issues are elsewhere. It’s because they are ******* idiots.

Kicking it forward

Revolutionary thinking
Did you see the play where he went sideways, he had a kick to a player on the half forward line who was clear of his player, a decent kick would have got to him. We would then be in a position to enter close to goal with the next kick without time for the Dees to outnumber us, oh also less time for Nicks to send one of our forwards up around the contest.

Did you see the play where he went sideways, he had a kick to a player on the half forward line who was clear of his player, a decent kick would have got to him. We would then be in a position to enter close to goal with the next kick without time for the Dees to outnumber us, oh also less time for Nicks to send one of our forwards up around the contest.
There was one against Geelong where we got a fast break at half back.

Kick went to Laird on the wing. Marked it on the eastern side of the centre square. Held onto it for ages trying to work out which option to take then eventually chipped sideways to Crouch near the boundary.

Crouch held onto it for ages before finally going backwards

And this was a fast break situation with space everywhere

When there's any sort of congestion or pressure they're even worse.

VB has really fed them all the Kool Aid hasn't he...

"All good guys, your playing your roles, all getting 25+ touches. Other stats are just misleading like metres gained etc, ignore those boys... Job done"

Essentially I’m not the problem I’m doing my job it’s everyone else who is the problem.

This is a really telling sign,

You go back over the years lots of players and ex-players say that when the pressures on and teams going poorly, they often resort to going into 'self preservation' mode and simply looking at their own game and doing enough to survive week to week.

There's no or little mention of team, and broader cohesion etc.

It's really the beginning of the end for Nicks and a few others.

Easier to teach a young guy than an old dog new tricks

Watching the GC game in person, close to the ground where you could hear players, the Suns leadership group and midfield mix were vocal, aggressive, proactive and always comandeering the troops. Noah Anderson in particular was a standout in this regard.

Dawson aside, and a little bit of finger pointing from Crouch, none of our players did anything remotely similar. It was damning and I knew we were in for a long game (and probably season) from then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back