Roast Grumpy Old Thread II - the grumpiness continues

Remove this Banner Ad

I like it!

My first major programming job was in Fortran and it involved re-writing a program that had been originally written onto punch-cards, and when printed onto 132 column fan-fold it came out to about 1500 to 2000 sheets. I was tasked to re-write it so it would run on a more modern computer. It had a routine that did a huge amount of number crunching but using a base 11 numbering system.

There were two comments in the entire suite of software. I recall them distinctly...

Comment If there is a tape input error the printer will print 100 pages of # characters. That will stand out like dogs balls.

Comment The following routine uses a base 11 numbering system. If you cant work that out get another job.

The bloke that write the software had moved on and was only available for assistance at consultant rates and when his new employer allowed him to take calls so I was pretty much on my own.

The base 11 routine would have been about 500 pages in its own right I estimate.

Then it struck me - just use Hex. That's built in so I don't need an external routine.

I used to live and breath hex and binary Kosh.

Not now. I have forgotten almost everything I ever knew.
It would come back pretty quick if you ever had to use it.

Everm modern stuff,we were trying to interface an older micrologix plc to a touchscreen hmi a few weeks ago and couldn't get it to work properly to save ourselves, turned out the micrologix plc stored its words in registers arsed aBout, ie lsb was msb..

Apparently that's due to the Coriolis effect I think (gosh, I hope I spelled that right or Nate7 will be on to it like a flash).

Hojuman these things fit in BEHIND a regular switch. Just get your sparky to install them. You don't even know they are there one they are inserted...
View attachment 2025624

ferball the shelly will go behind your switches as well (if the hole in the wall is big enough). I reckon that it would be cool to have google adapted Bakelite switches!

My Pop put those switches in. At some point in the next few years I'll redo the wiring (again) and I might actually try that cos it would be cool as.

It would come back pretty quick if you ever had to use it.

Everm modern stuff,we were trying to interface an older micrologix plc to a touchscreen hmi a few weeks ago and couldn't get it to work properly to save ourselves, turned out the micrologix plc stored its words in registers arsed aBout, ie lsb was msb..
I'm sure that I'd remember a fair bit if I needed to. I used to be able to work magic in DBase IV and was OK as with SQL but I didn't work as a programmer when we adopted Oracle even though I was sponsored on about a year of courses. That did come in handy though as I was able to use the knowledge for almost the next 20 years until I pulled the pin on all that crap and became a man of leisure.

Now I just stir up shit here on big footy (in between trying to remember the IP addresses of my light switches).

My Pop put those switches in. At some point in the next few years I'll redo the wiring (again) and I might actually try that cos it would be cool as.
The best thing about Shelly switches is the web hooks that allow on switch to control another switch remotely. Obviously there has to be a switch somewhere that's hard wired to the light but you can have another switch elsewhere in the house that's wired to a different circuit that sends a message via Wi-Fi to the hard wired switch to toggle it on or off to make a virtual two way switch. In my place, we have one particular light that can be turned on or off by five different light switches which is pretty handy coz you can come at it from any direction and turn on the light and leave by some other direction and turn the bloody thing off.

If I could be bothered to get Home Assistant working I could link in a Hue PIR to detect people and turn lights on and off. My wife snatched the power pack from the Home Assistant laptop when hers packed it in. She just got a new laptop last weekend so I've got the plug pack back, but after Sunday's game I've been too busy moaning to do anything else.

I'm sure that I'd remember a fair bit if I needed to. I used to be able to work magic in DBase IV and was OK as with SQL but I didn't work as a programmer when we adopted Oracle even though I was sponsored on about a year of courses. That did come in handy though as I was able to use the knowledge for almost the next 20 years until I pulled the pin on all that crap and became a man of leisure.

Now I just stir up shit here on big footy (in between trying to remember the IP addresses of my light switches).
As long as thay are not ipv6 addies its pretty easy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any other parents out there stuck in the pre-school and school virus loop?

Back to back to back sicknesses over the past six weeks with my 6 month old and 4 year old…RSV, gastro, covid and have all gone through the house and now the 6 month old has croup, while the 4 year old hasn’t been able to keep anything down for 2 days.

Running on fumes due to broken sleep, while trying to work and keep the family fed. I know all parents have been there but damn it’s shit seeing your kids struggling. Have no idea how parents cope with really really sick kids. I’d be an anxious mess.

Back to back to back sicknesses over the past six weeks with my 6 month old and 4 year old…RSV, gastro, covid and have all gone through the house and now the 6 month old has croup, while the 4 year old hasn’t been able to keep anything down for 2 days.

Running on fumes due to broken sleep, while trying to work and keep the family fed. I know all parents have been there but damn it’s shit seeing your kids struggling. Have no idea how parents cope with really really sick kids. I’d be an anxious mess.
Yep, the last two months for my family.

bad enough when its you

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Grumpy Old Thread II - the grumpiness continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back