Autopsy Groundhog day averted! Swans defeat Cats by 30 infront of a packed SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Except youth. Our youth is probably our weakness.
Our midfield especially is very young. Our guns are very young.
Rowbottom 23
McInerney 23
Warner 23
Gulden 21
Campbell 22
McDonald 22
Jordon 23

But they are relatively experienced because we went youth and put games into them. Exciting times in the next few years as our youth ripens.
We have an average age of 120 games as of our last game. That is high.

Interesting to look at the guys above in the 22 replay versus yesterday , they all look bigger bodied now to the naked eye. Still young but pretty seasoned .

Have to be a Simpsons ####

It's just the Geelong moron trying to argue a week off isn't a bye .

It's either a bye or an extended pre season, one of the other , not sure why they think otherwise.

It's just the Geelong moron trying to argue a week off isn't a bye .

It's either a bye or an extended pre season, one of the other , not sure why they think otherwise.

Yes it's an extended pre-season. Not the same thing as a bye. That's the whole issue. Swans and other OR teams got to play 3-4 games and get wins under their belts and then have a week off to manage/rest players then play another third of the season all before some teams got a chance to rest up. We get to break our season almost into thirds. It's an advantage that Longmire also acknowledges and will be rectified next season. Nothing much to it, just like saying we've been lucky in some match ups, you take it and you hope it helps us win the flag. It doesn't make winning the flag feel any cheaper.

No not like that
This is a weird thing to dig your heels in over bedders.

If you watch it back, he actually coasts through the middle and doesn't put the jets on until he's past the centre circle. It amounts to about a 30m sprint to where the ball lands, with the only player he needs to get past being a 34 year old Mitch Duncan.

Screen Shot 2024-06-10 at 6.08.13 pm.jpeg

Again, a good effort, but this is light work for him and probably more than half the blokes in our team. It's Warner's role to be in the position he's in to do that, and he did it well.

If you watch it back, he actually coasts through the middle and doesn't put the jets on until he's past the centre circle. It amounts to about a 30m sprint to where the ball lands, with the only player he needs to get past being a 34 year old Mitch Duncan.

View attachment 2016393

Again, a good effort, but this is light work for him and probably more than half the blokes in our team. It's Warner's role to be in the position he's in to do that, and he did it well.
On the couch had a speed checker on it, around that point he is at like 38 km/h

Watching the replay and Jake Lloyd was so damn good. Just the perfect wingman game.

Everywhere you look in our team there's a player or role change that has elevated us enormously this year.

So much talk about Heeney into the mids, the additions of Grundy, Adams & Jordon, the emergence of Melican etc.

But going from Dylan Stephens on the outside to Jake Lloyd is as big as any of them.

To quote Star Wars "It is your destiny".

I have watched Lloyd from when he came to the club. He was always a close marker of players when they had the ball. But immediately when we had the ball he was always 30m away demanding the ball. His ability to spread was incredible. He knows where he has to be. Always. Always a fan of him.

Much better on a wing.

Also need to credit Roberts for making this possible

View attachment 2016393

3 minutes to and ffs who liked your post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to look at the guys above in the 22 replay versus yesterday , they all look bigger bodied now to the naked eye. Still young but pretty seasoned .
To me the difference between 2022 and 2024, in very 'simpleton' terms is the extra games the young midfield bunch has got in their legs (the first handful), and the obvious extra bulk they've put on. They are breaking more tackles, sticking more tackles, and just hitting that point in their careers where they know they have 'made it' and belong at the AFL level. No longer is it a case of Parker, Mills and a little bit of Heeney as our main midfield crew - stop them and you'll slow the younger cygnets. Now there is a pack you have to find a way to stop - and we haven't even seen Parker or Mills on the park this year.

Add to that Campbell really hasn't hit his straps yet - still think in time he will 'click' and become a very good player wherever he settles.

And that profiling also shows how JJ is such a perfect fit to the group- while Adams gives the group experience, JJ is not only a different style of midfielder that can help cover gaps in the overall group, but he has the same age profile as the rest. So its a gap we've potentially not only filled for the shorter term (like Adams and Grundy in the ruck), but for the life of this midfield core as well. He was already a very decent footballer, but you can see Jordan's confidence growing week by week, and he is only going to get better as part of this group.

I think a lot of players in the competition and even our team would be able to get from where he started to where he ended up to receive that ball. It's good gut running but if you have that in you then I don't think it's particularly astonishing. The point I was making was I was more impressed with Warner being where he needed to be, and in Rowbottom & Hayward for their crucial plays in the ball ending up with McDonald, and then Warner.

I think we've always had exciting, talented and dynamic players but it's the discipline and positioning and players executing their roles that is making us the best this year.
I think the big thing is the trust and confidence to take off at the first sign that it might go our way. We've seen that a few times but I think that might be the longest!

I think the big thing is the trust and confidence to take off at the first sign that it might go our way. We've seen that a few times but I think that might be the longest!
Agree KC.

I'd argue he had the trust and confidence before the first sign that it would go our way. Why else would he be 20m away from such an important play in the game at such an important time, if it wasn't complete trust in the others to get that play going. So bloody good to see.

Cheated , run too fast and too far and i was side on , how good

Try watching the games front on, it freaks the person out in the seat next to you if you face them .

I disagree... This team has blossomed this year, but it was on the back on ongoing development over the past 5 years. Painting previous years teams with this years polish is just wishful thinking.

Playing Heeney forward and Lloyd back kept us winning games and playing finals... it's the Swans way to put the team first and not the player. Sure, Heeney and Lloyd shine much brighter in their current roles, and probably would have done so all along, but would the team have prospered quite as well? I don't think so...

We've been building for this crack for the last 5 years, and we're right on the cusp of a good long run (4-5 years); judging Horse retrospectively is just indulgence...

Of course, just my view...

Remarkable post hoc rationalisation

It wasn't a bye.

Longmire just said it himself on 360. Starting the season a week later doesn't mean you had a bye. Playing 5 games then having a week off is a bye. Not quite sure why some Swans supporters are so wound up by this.
You can call it what you want. The only point that matters is that it’s a week off. Geelong fans acting like somehow they didn’t get a week off. Not quite sure why some Geelong supporters are so wound up by us getting a week off when they’ve already had a week off.

You can call it what you want. The only point that matters is that it’s a week off. Geelong fans acting like somehow they didn’t get a week off. Not quite sure why some Geelong supporters are so wound up by us getting a week off when they’ve already had a week off.

It's not a 'week off' if there was nothing to take a week off from, which is my point. If you start a week later that's not the same as playing a block of games and then getting a rest, as Buckley and Brown noted quite correctly. Now that's not to say that the argument that our results have as little to do with this benefit as Brisbane/Melbourne/Collingwood's inability to capitalise on it, but to try to equate to starting in Round 1 to a bye is just fanciful and comes across as people paranoid of anything diminishing the performances from the Swans this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back