Review Good/Bad vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks’ pre-match address…
View attachment 2001712

Also,

Ugly:

May be harsh here but the sight of Burgess and Borlase both out on an AFL field today annoyed me immensely, look I get you need ‘depth’ role players but I seriously can’t believe these 2 are the best Justin Reid, Hamish Ogilvy and the myriad of country wide scouts could find around the entire country (actually I can), these two are nothing more than classic SANFL level ‘tweener-talls’, so many of their like have been spat out the other side and are just football ‘journeymen’ that you see in country footy getting under the table payments but the Adelaide Football club have these like playing AFL matches.

I mean it’s not even the odd 1 or 2 games they’ve now played blocks of multiple games through the year, just really shows the pitiful tall depth the club has. I know they aren’t alone in the AFL sphere with this being an issue at most clubs as you can see them all clambering to select these supposed ‘talented’ state league talls in the mid-season draft. List managers league wide not just Reid make some weird assessments on key position player depth, they say there’s little around yet strangely there’s always some around come the mid-season draft.
They're depth players, perfectly fine depth, players especially talls that think they're best 22 don't stick around if they're not getting a look in AFL wise. Neither have embarassed themselves when called up to AFL.

Shame we didn't then.

No. West Coast were diabolical - the worst they've played this season, and nothing like last week. They're still quite early in their rebuild, so these sorts of games will crop up for them on occasion. Nothing they really need to worry about, but also nothing you can learn from it long term for us.
I’ve played many types of sports, and I can share a simple summary across all forms of team sports:
Regardless of the opposition, if you win by a big margin, it’s a good win.
Teams play crap, often it’s because the opposition didn’t allow them to play well.

Now this isn’t me being a “happy clapper” and willing to forgive the team in the first 4 rounds of debacle. But it’s me being happy with the form we’re showing. We just need to keep this kind of form going, which is really the ultimate question mark.

Nicks’ pre-match address…
View attachment 2001712

Also,

Ugly:

May be harsh here but the sight of Burgess and Borlase both out on an AFL field today annoyed me immensely, look I get you need ‘depth’ role players but I seriously can’t believe these 2 are the best Justin Reid, Hamish Ogilvy and the myriad of country wide scouts could find around the entire country (actually I can), these two are nothing more than classic SANFL level ‘tweener-talls’, so many of their like have been spat out the other side and are just football ‘journeymen’ that you see in country footy getting under the table payments but the Adelaide Football club have these like playing AFL matches.

I mean it’s not even the odd 1 or 2 games they’ve now played blocks of multiple games through the year, just really shows the pitiful tall depth the club has. I know they aren’t alone in the AFL sphere with this being an issue at most clubs as you can see them all clambering to select these supposed ‘talented’ state league talls in the mid-season draft. List managers league wide not just Reid make some weird assessments on key position player depth, they say there’s little around yet strangely there’s always some around come the mid-season draft.
They're role players for depth. It's completely fine.

Bad: Rachelle was a very poor CBA and stoppage mid. Was hoping he would take a big chance with no Rankine
I don't think you're allowed to say this :moustache:.....you'll need to insert Murphy for Rachele

Like, I know they're shit, and I know we are too.

God I like rubbing West Coast's face in shit though. The ****ing torment that arseh*le club has put us through over the years. **** you. That's for 2005. And 2006. And 2016. And all the ****ing rest. Eat a full 99 points campaigners.

And yet you just know they'll have a Harley Reid led premiership before us.

I’ve mostly been a Sholl questioner in recent times but he’s definitely improved this year

Contract year, mind you
He's been very good in the past month... only 1 poor game.

Good: Tex is definitely looking fitter and sharper.

Bad: Sorry to keep harping, but Rachele has a systemic problem of lack of awareness: he seems to assume that the oppo disappear when he has the ball in hand. He's way too slow to get rid of it. Early in the first, he showed great intent with contested marking on a few occasions, then undid it all by failing to give an obvious tap-on when when about to get caught.

The same applies to Berry, who tackles very well, but fails to dispose of the ball when he gets it, getting run down regularly.

It's a brain problem for both of the above.

There wasn't when he constantly presented and made space. He was an absolute weapon all game.

Plus, he competed and tackled when needed. It was a game that showed off what he is good at, instead of showing the opposite.

11 contested possessions today. Went at 79%

Was a good effort

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only really notable thing for me about today's game was that Burgess wasted an opportunity.
Lacks confidence.

Tex gave him one late which he could habe easily given to Cook.

There’s still a difference between ‘depth’ and guys who definitely shouldn’t be in a position to play multiple AFL games, especially when they are undersized Key Position depth.

Borlase in particular looked quite at home. Positions himself well. Doesn’t try and play beyond his capabilities

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Good: I loved how both Dawson and Crouch went about it. I’m going to mention a couple of players that I thought were good without being brilliant. Jones, Scholl and Cook

Bad: I’m going to say that Smith was uneventful. Not so much bad, but his impact on the game has been diminishing and when you win by 99 points and recall only a couple of good plays. Maybe I’m harsh

Ugly:nothing ugly about winning by 99points

Good: Tex is definitely looking fitter and sharper.

Bad: Sorry to keep harping, but Rachele has a systemic problem of lack of awareness: he seems to assume that the oppo disappear when he has the ball in hand. He's way too slow to get rid of it. Early in the first, he showed great intent with contested marking on a few occasions, then undid it all by failing to give an obvious tap-on when when about to get caught.

The same applies to Berry, who tackles very well, but fails to dispose of the ball when he gets it, getting run down regularly.

It's a brain problem for both of the above.
Take Pendles ....basketball background, has spacial awareness in a 360 degree sport, which gives the impression there's an inability for anyone to lay a finger on him in-tight

Toby Greene ....has spacial awareness ...he knows where every player, teammate & oppo is on the field

Rachele, plays like he has a soccer background ....struggles with what's going on around him, & where everyone, teammates, and Oppo are .....yet he has those sharp instincts to turn a half chance to an outcome
Yet, he's not yet a player who can be a playmaker, in the mould of Tex ....or even Soligo

With Butts and Keane both playing well could there be a chance of Murray forward and relieving ruck? Would give our forward line a different look and he's a better ruck than H or B.

On SM-A115F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Rucking on a reconstructed knee ?

They would have been annoyed if we lost. They were annoyed when we won by 99.
Yep. I've been hell-annoyed.
I still think Nicks will not take us to a Flag.
I'm still annoyed by our 0-4 start and 4-6-1 doesn't make me feel much better.
I still think Smith is cooked etc. Not much has changed since before we won today.

I do a lot of long-distance driving on not-very-good roads that I know very well, through some uninspiring (some would say ugly) scenery, but every now and then on a dark, cloudy day or after a storm a rainbow will pop up outta nowhere and lift my spirits.
Today's win was a bit like that.
The long, hard drive isn't over and it's still dark'n'cloudy, but I'll take a 99-point win against any side, any day, and I'm happy about the 13% boost too :) :shoutyoldman:.

Good call

He's having his best season but at the back of my mind I wonder if he'd be able to produce in the heat of a final

Sydney game in a few weeks will be interesting to watch.
I've been saying here for weeks that Sholl still has something to offer. I was one of his earliest critics but you can see he's getting tougher, finding the ball more consistently and hitting the scoreboard. Imo we just need to get him to follow the seedsman model and add some kgs. Seed went from a defensive liability who didn't chase hard and would get brushed to an all round gun in his last couple years. We complain that say Jones can't find the ball, well Sholl does so if we can harden him up a bit more there may very well be a player there.

The good.

All played well (but playing witches hats)
Nankervis - Does things that are quite brilliant. Developing into a quality first 22 player. If only he had another 20 to 25 games in his legs.

The Bad

The perfect game to play a few of the kids. Opportunity lost. Is there a plan to play them at all this year.
No Rankine

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good/Bad vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back