Review Good, Bad and Fugly vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Its going to be a long year

Pray we finish as low as possible put work into galucci poholke milera give them experience and midfield minutes. Hampton must come in too see if hes got anything otherwise delist

Watching geelong richmond is just pissing me off the effort shown by both teams .. TACKLING

Usual Port *******s on the Main Board thread all ripping into the Crows with glee.
Gives them some relief from their own turgent franchise I guess.
And they have every right. You would be in their ripping them if the situation was reversed. Live it learn from it. Doesnt feel nice does it

Can't agree more. My work career has been teaching/self-employed business/ teaching/ now self-employed again, semi-retired. The second stint of teaching was soured by frequent, lengthy Staff Meetings and conferences often run by idea-driven Empire Builders keen for promotion, filled with often very odd group and "team-building" activities.
Not a one of them ever gave me a terrific idea for methodology or provided anything that improved my in-classroom teaching. Never.
Real change/growth/learning takes years of dedicated soul-searching, self-motivated research and practice, and sheer hard work. Walking on coals, a weekend conference, a Magical Mystery Tour bus trip, or star-gazing just won't do it.
I only ever took one thing from all the hundreds I did. I was in a huge funk , didnt want to be at my place of work , my marriage , my kids just felt disconnected. Like an automatum I felt I was repeating every day the same as the last. Get up shower breakfast drive to work put in 8 hours argue get in car go to pub drink then drive home have dinner see kids and wife watch tv fall asleep start again

The one thing that clicked was to do it differently. Did I have to have breakfast? Did I have to drive the same way to work. Did I have to stop in at the pub? etc etc. So I started changing those little things and felt energised again.

I still 20+ years later ask myself : Does it have to be this way?

Conversation was about Pyke apparently being overruled at selection. He wanted to drop Sauce and was disallowed. It doesn't matter who I would bring in, it matters that Pyke was undermined by one of His colleagues when he should have full control.
Do you honestly believe the head coach gets overruled at selection?

Its going to be a long year

Pray we finish as low as possible put work into galucci poholke milera give them experience and midfield minutes. Hampton must come in too see if hes got anything otherwise delist

Watching geelong richmond is just pissing me off the effort shown by both teams .. TACKLING
It's going to be a longer preseason.......

I don't know, and I'll wait until there is sufficient evidence to be certain.

It is worth talking about these things, rather than sticking your head in the sand. You should try it, Jen.

it's not the depth players letting the team down, but the same group of failed senior players that also let us down last year
Really good point.
The depth players are playing like, well, inexperienced depth players. They'll learn.
Several senior players who failed in the GF have not improved on that form. Chance is that if they can't learn from a losing GF, they'll never learn (Dmac, Atkins, JJ, the usual suspects).

The missing players are only one of Adelaide's problems. They're a significant problem, but they're only one of several other factors. It would be unfair to expect a Hawthorn supporter to be aware of the many other issues going on within Adelaide Football Club, which are also contributing to our current predicament.

Is it possible to get a summary of what's happened/happening? I wasn't aware that Adelaide was having so many issues. I was vaguely aware of something happening with preseason training?

I hope my questions are not taken in the wrong way. I like the Crows and was supporting for you guys in the Grand Final.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn't have the final say ... the buddy buddy line coaches have their bit , senior players influence them .
Too much discussion from too many voices that by the time Thursday night comes around nothing is done except for the predictably lazy .
I have never seen another club have the bullshit gold passes and unaccountable selection issues like the Crows have over the last 10-15 years .
All of our coaches are so content to keep the status quo going ( their jobs ) that no-one ruffles feathers .
Jobs for the boys and , Systems for the System .

Really good point.
The depth players are playing like, well, inexperienced depth players. They'll learn.
Several senior players who failed in the GF have not improved on that form. Chance is that if they can't learn from a losing GF, they'll never learn (Dmac, Atkins, JJ, the usual suspects).
The injured players are more significant players compared to these other senior players who had to play their spots which they are not capable off due to skill and ability.

He doesn't have the final say ... the buddy buddy line coaches have their bit , senior players influence them .
Too much discussion from too many voices that by the time Thursday night comes around nothing is done except for the predictably lazy .
I have never seen another club have the bullshit gold passes and unaccountable selection issues like the Crows have over the last 10-15 years .
All of our coaches are so content to keep the status quo going ( their jobs ) that no-one ruffles feathers .
Jobs for the boys and , Systems for the System .
Port Power.......

Is it possible to get a summary of what's happened/happening? I wasn't aware that Adelaide was having so many issues. I was vaguely aware of something happening with preseason training?

I hope my questions are not taken in the wrong way. I like the Crows and was supporting for you guys in the Grand Final.
Players were understandably scarred mentally by the GF schemozzle, so the club brought in a pair of snake oil merchants selling a program called "Collective Minds". CM turned out to be downright offensive to the indigenous members of the squad, and completely useless to the non-indigenous members. It further damaged the mental state of our players.

Then we let Brett Burton & Matt Hass sabotage our players' physical preparation. Hass is almost criminally incompetent, having left a trail of bodies behind him at Brisbane, he's now done the same thing at Adelaide. At one point we had 11 players on our injury list with soft tissue injuries (mostly hamstrings and groins). The soft tissue injury crisis is slowly passing, but we're now getting impact injuries - and we're no closer to having a full list than we were 3 months ago.

As a result of this, we've been forced to play 2nd & 3rd tier players in roles they're just not capable of performing - and we've been forced to leave them there for game after game. Senior players are being rushed back before they've regained fitness (Walker), or while they're still carrying injuries (Matt Crouch), or they're forced to continue playing while injured (Seedsman, Jacobs).

Between injured and massively underdone players, Douglas is the only player from the top-10 in our 2017 B&F who is (arguably) at full fitness.

The end result of this is that we're currently missing 8 best 22 players, with another 4 who are known to be carrying injuries or underdone, and God alone knows how many who are completely cooked. Half our team is injured or unfit, the rest are cooked, all of them are completely bereft of confidence. The result is what you saw last night - nobody who is willing to run, tackle, compete or take a risk.

The harsh reality is we were sucked in to thinking some players were actually really good, when they have since been exposed as bog average. And if your squad needs to continually play at 150% of their regular quality level to win the flag, it's probably not that good to begin with
OK, I'll say it --- I've bit my tongue for nearly 9 months but I'll talk about the elephant in the room, and take whatever derision falls my way.
For most of 2017, I thought we overachieved relative to our personnel. Sloane had been tagged out of several games but the Crouch Bros stood up. Before that, for the first 6 rounds we were under everybody's radar and playing so well I said to my best mate "I'm happy we're winning so well, but teams with terrific early-season form can fade. I'd rather we were playing like this after a long build-up to Finals". I was astounded at how good we were in those first 6 rounds and wondered who was going to beat us. I found out the following 2 weeks :(. Getting to the GF was extraordinary, given we had well-known inconsistent players (you know who they are and I'd even put CC in there --- the PF-Cameron and the GF-squib were chalk and cheese, wtf?).
The last two rounds, Sloane and Betts' injuries and the Lever disunity troubled me, then Gov and Smith went out after the two Finals wins --- and I went into the GF thinking "Uh-ohhhh ...".
I'm being honest here, no guile. I was very happily surprised we won the PF, home or not. I hoped that same side would show up for the GF, but nuh-uhhh. Richmond was THE team playing its best at the right time. :( :'(
Even now, I think we overachieved last year, relative to our cattle.
Several of the best of those cattle have been injured and our pre-season was underdone, OR overdone, I'm not sure. All those hammies are no coincidence, but I'm wondering now what might have been if our worst 6-8 players had been injured and how their replacements would have fitted in.
Meh. I'll never know.

Players were understandably scarred mentally by the GF schemozzle, so the club brought in a pair of snake oil merchants selling a program called "Collective Minds". CM turned out to be downright offensive to the indigenous members of the squad, and completely useless to the non-indigenous members. It further damaged the mental state of our players.

Then we let Brett Burton & Matt Hass sabotage our players' physical preparation. Hass is almost criminally incompetent, having left a trail of bodies behind him at Brisbane, he's now done the same thing at Adelaide. At one point we had 11 players on our injury list with soft tissue injuries (mostly hamstrings and groins). The soft tissue injury crisis is slowly passing, but we're now getting impact injuries - and we're no closer to having a full list than we were 3 months ago.

As a result of this, we've been forced to play 2nd & 3rd tier players in roles they're just not capable of performing - and we've been forced to leave them there for game after game. Senior players are being rushed back before they've regained fitness (Walker), or while they're still carrying injuries (Matt Crouch), or they're forced to continue playing while injured (Seedsman, Jacobs).

Between injured and massively underdone players, Douglas is the only player from the top-10 in our 2017 B&F who is (arguably) at full fitness.

The end result of this is that we're currently missing 8 best 22 players, with another 4 who are known to be carrying injuries or underdone, and God alone knows how many who are completely cooked. Half our team is injured or unfit, the rest are cooked, all of them are completely bereft of confidence. The result is what you saw last night - nobody who is willing to run, tackle, compete or take a risk.
Excellent summary, and just to add to that when you start your preseason 4 weeks behind most and get hit by that huge amount of injuries early to your first choice players, you are playing catch up all season but as more injuries occurred, your season is done.

Yeah that is a mess. I can see why you are all so frustrated. What did collective minds consist of?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah that is a mess. I can see why you are all so frustrated. What did collective minds consist of?
I'm not sure. What we have heard is that it involved talking about people who are deceased, which is an absolute no-no for indigenous people. It also involved taking away their mobile phones, so that they couldn't communicate with the outside world. Apparently it was very confrontational, and not in a good way. It shattered the already fragile mental state of many of our players.

I don't know, and I'll wait until there is sufficient evidence to be certain.

It is worth talking about these things, rather than sticking your head in the sand. You should try it, Jen.
Got no problem with you suggesting it,.. but you shouldn't have a problem with people disagreeing. I’d hardly think I’m sticking my head in the sand either, just quietly. I’m pretty certain this question will be asked at the breakfast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good, Bad and Fugly vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back