Review Good, Bad and Fugly vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

True, although Richmond have since proven their team of spuds isn't actually overperforming like we thought. They've maintained a similar level of quality for a season and a half now.

I think it's true that you need to play above your general level of quality and have everyone playing exceptional football together to win a flag, but I think in hindsight we played most of last year significantly above the general quality of the squad, particularly in the lead up to finals.

When you are collectively playing so far above your standard quality level, when you do drop back down to standard quality, the results are horrific and shocking. It's what has happened in the GF and (to an extent) this year.

The best teams have a high standard quality level, and are also able to push above that by 10 to 20 percent to win the flag. Hawthorn and Geelong are great examples of that; Sydney as well and probably even Richmond. During these teams' highest periods of success, they have been pretty consistently good, and able to gun it when they need to.

The difference between our best and worst has been massive for years now, and I think we've been exposed now as our 'worst' being closer to the norm.

Richmond have definitely taken a snippet of Hawthorn , a little of the Bulldogs and added their own full frontal stomp .
Been watching them closely and they have some formations , tactics and applications that are unique to date and hard to counter for 4 quarters .
There is some genius in there as much as it irks me to say as it is not traditional by any means .

They love to hedge and pressure on disposal then utilize a brutal frontal charge into the contest often in 2's and 3's with a cheat shooting off the into attacking position to catch the opposition out .
Tiges back in this ferocious momentum at the 50-50% knowing if they don't win it they have another wave behind it and always a marking tandem or trio holding position down back .

As an ultra powerful running team they have formulated a style to work for their list and most importantly at the G .
The execution of it is fearless , almost rabid in nature and for that they should be respected . They go in hard .
Personally it does not tickle my bits as a spectacle but it has them a flag .

Teams are starting to understand that you need to switch to the hunter sometimes , force them out of that role they desire .
Control possession , ebb and flow , short kicks and angles , one handball , run through lines but no kicking it long or bombing to the outnumber .
Switch up pace of play and make their defense shift around so they can not hunt in numbers .
Match their ferocity but not get into an up and down game and do not take too many risks coming inboard from the defensive half .
It will be interesting to see if this style is countered or if they can maintain for a sustained period .

The Bulldogs all out manic style snagged them a flag also but it has knackered half their list now .
Very brutal on the bodies of the young dogs but premiership players they are .

Last edited:
This squad is cooked. They've been running on emotion since Phil dies and last year's GF was the culmination. They couldnt do it. There's nothing more this group can achieve and it needs to be turned over and club personnel needs to as well. The club needs a freshen up with a new group.
Way too simplistic imo, and if anything too much of an excuse.

Emotion doesn't produce systematic football, it produces a game of chaotic tackling and one with a play on mentality. I reckon the Bulldogs had this at exactly the right time of the year in 2016. I reckon port do this for one or two weeks at a time, and have done for years.

We had too much rhythm at the peak to call it emotion, but we were inflexible and prone to pressure. That's players buying into the system Pyke gave them. Without the right players this wont work and it hasn't. This is where Walsh's mantra would have come in real handy right now. That isn't Pykes mantra though - he just looks down on them in disgust for not doing their job.

Pretty simply it looks like the players are sick of it. I dont think it's unfair to think there's a disconnect when they keep being blamed for not playing to a metal rod of a system without Smith's run, without mrouch's inside work, without lairds creativity at HB, without sloane's run all day heart, without... you get the idea.

Instead of thinking of a better way to structure, were subjecting them to bullshit mental strength training. How would that make a player feel? Unbelievable lack of awareness. Finger so far off the pulse it isn't funny.

I always detested the wanky CM-like ‘conferences’ that we’re forced on me throughout my employment.
Can't agree more. My work career has been teaching/self-employed business/ teaching/ now self-employed again, semi-retired. The second stint of teaching was soured by frequent, lengthy Staff Meetings and conferences often run by idea-driven Empire Builders keen for promotion, filled with often very odd group and "team-building" activities.
Not a one of them ever gave me a terrific idea for methodology or provided anything that improved my in-classroom teaching. Never.
Real change/growth/learning takes years of dedicated soul-searching, self-motivated research and practice, and sheer hard work. Walking on coals, a weekend conference, a Magical Mystery Tour bus trip, or star-gazing just won't do it.

Last edited:
Way too simplistic imo, and if anything too much of an excuse.

Emotion doesn't produce systematic football, it produces a game of chaotic tackling and one with a play on mentality. I reckon the Bulldogs had this at exactly the right time of the year in 2016. I reckon port do this for one or two weeks at a time, and have done for years.

We had too much rhythm at the peak to call it emotion, but we were inflexible and prone to pressure. That's players buying into the system Pyke gave them. Without the right players this wont work and it hasn't. This is where Walsh's mantra would have come in real handy right now. That isn't Pykes mantra though - he just looks down on them in disgust for not doing their job.

Pretty simply it looks like the players are sick of it. I dont think it's unfair to think there's a disconnect when they keep being blamed for not playing to a metal rod of a system without Smith's run, without mrouch's inside work, without lairds creativity at HB, without sloane's run all day heart, without... you get the idea.

Instead of thinking of a better way to structure, were subjecting them to bullshit mental strength training. How would that make a player feel? Unbelievable lack of awareness. Finger so far off the pulse it isn't funny.

Great Summary !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The belting we took in centre clearances didn't help - we just did not have the nouse or grunt to turn it around in there and that helped hawthorn to control the ball going forward especially after half time. We all want this season to come to an end as fast as possible but if lessons CAN be learned we will not repeat the same mistakes this off season as for the last. The fitness team (whoever that will be) will have to have been put on notice to get things right and not repeat the mistakes made. We have a chance to ensure all players go into the start of preseason healthy by allowing them to have surgery etc before hand. B Smith must be put on ice this year to make sure his recovery is complete. They need to draw a line under collective minds as an experiment that did not work. We are likely to be adding in some very high end draft talent to the squad to go with the young talent we have now - and Fogarty and Gallucci are showing signs of promise along with Milera being more seasoned now. IF the right things happen from now to the start of next season AND our sh.t luck with injuries goes away, there is no reason to think we cannot climb up the ladder and be right back amongst it next year...this is my glass half full take on things
Who would you have as ruck for us in 2019? Our Sauce has curdled.

Okay.
What's wrong with our captain being interviewed?
Nothing. Where did I say there was anything wrong with it, please? o_O
Seriously, where?
My negative comments were directed at Ch. 7's biased commentators. Their commentary was pro-Hawks and pro-Burgoyne from the opening bounce. They were over-the-top happy in the third quarter. They love that we lost and have lost 5 from the last 6.

"All a club can do is build a list to contend for it without bottoming out"?

Since when? West Coast bottomed out and won a flag. Hawthorn bottomed out, rebuilt their club and won flags. Collingwood bottomed out, rebuilt their club and won a flag. Bulldogs bottomed out, traded aggressively and won a flag. Richmond transformed their football department and won a flag.

Geelong and Sydney are unique. Geelong created a dynasty without bottoming out, but they did make wholesale footy department changes in 2006. Sydney don't need to tank because they get an Academy pick every year regardless.

In the last 20 years I would rather be the Bulldogs than us. That's saying something.

We aren't much different to St Kilda in the last 20 years. Let that sink in.
No, what I meant was a successful club will build a list to contend for a premiership without bottoming out which the Crows have done in the last 20 years.
Those who support a club that bottom out and finish bottom 4 in multiple years go through the pain for years without knowing whether they have a premiership list or not and you rather be that then what the Crows have done????? Like I said, we had chances to win the premiership in the last 20 years but weren't good enough or got injuries at the wrong time.

I am pretty flat about our current predicament but would still like to sneak into the 8 if this is at all possible even if it is to knock port out. 5 v 8 would be amazing. Hopefully it just clicks when all our returning players start returning after bye. Worse case scenario we don't make it and get higher draft positions.
Me too. Flat.
NO help to the Club to finish 8th and have a shot at Port. We're better off finishing as low as we can for Draft picks.
I doubt seriously that it will all just click when returning players return and we get those returning players who will return after the bye, when they return. ;) :D
They won't be match fit.

Nothing. Where did I say there was anything wrong with it, please? o_O
Seriously, where?
My negative comments were directed at Ch. 7's biased commentators. Their commentary was pro-Hawks and pro-Burgoyne from the opening bounce. They were over-the-top happy in the third quarter. They love that we lost and have lost 5 from the last 6.

I think I confused your post with an earlier one from someone else, sorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Good, Bad and Fugly vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back