Preview Gold Coast Suns v Adelaide Crows, Saturday 16th of March, People First Stadium, Gold Coast, 7.40pm Adelaide time.

Who will be the sub?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing that worries me is that even in the Michael Mouse game against West Coast, there were many CB's and other midfield duels in which Tim Kelly etc dominated us.

GC's midfield is infinitely better than WC so will just be interesting to see if we can hold our own there.
I agree it’s the most prone area of the ground for us. Witts vs ROB isn’t a matchup in our favour either

I’d be very happy if we were simply able to break even, as I reckon we are a more effective side forward of centre, which would compensate. We can’t rest on our laurels and afford to have a lazy day in this regard, though, GC have some decent to very good defenders

Rankine's first game vs Suns at their home ground on Saturday.

Will be very interesting, as he will potentially likely get booed throughout the night.:think:
Won't we have more supporters to cheer him... ;)

Reckon they'll be a bit like us last year and win most of their home games. Predicting a loss up there isn't necessarily being sad or pessimistic, we can still be a finals contender whilst losing away to Suns.

I reckon it's pretty close tbh. This is round 1, there is nothing from our preseason that makes me feel like we arent going in pretty nicely. Ok a couple of injuries but we have options.

If this is a team who are in the same bracket as us we should be baseline competitive against them away or no.

If this was round 4 and we were 1-2 and they were 2-1 I might understand a little more why people are so openly sure we will lose.

Quiet confidence is usually the norm heading into round 1, especially given our rebuild trajectory.

Gold Coast are justifiably favourites but the line is only 5.5 points. I think all results are possible (comfortable win, narrow win, narrow loss, big loss).

We had a solid home win against the Suns in Round 21 last year but both teams will be very different on Saturday. A win will be a great start to the season but we must as a minimum be competitive regardless of the result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast have more talent than us, and frankly more talent than virtually anyone.

With a game under their belt, at home, with a proper coach this is looking a very tricky one for us

Very tricky indeed

4-5 goals to GC, but that it will have little bearing on the season going forward. It’s a just rough opening fixture
One of the best pre match summations I have read thus far
Thanks

Incorrect. Nerang train station, you can also park there. 20 min walk path or shuttle bus to stadium.
Agree that it is not all that daunting. Have lived on the Gold Coast long time ago (Biggera Waters) and still have family up that way. Can train and tram to somewhere like Broadbeach (if flying into Brisbane rather than the Gold Coast) that has very affordable, family friendly, accommodation and lifestyle, on the tramline. If one did not want to catch a bus to Carrara (where People First stadium is, and yes it is a bit off the beaten tourist track), just use Uber. It is all very simple and should not be prohibitive in any way!

It sounds counter intuitive, but I think you just ignore Rowell and back our inside group to hold in a slugging match.

RD 12 - We lost the game and the centre clearances 18-13 with Anderson / Rowell toweling us up. Our midfield that day was Laird, Dawson, Sloane, Keays (with a touch of Pedlar/Rachele).

Rd 21 - We won the game and won the centre clearances 13-7. Our midfield that day was primarily Laird, Dawson, Crouch with Sloane/Schoenberg attending 35% and a touch of soligo.

For me the key difference is Crouch. We need to let him go head to head with Rowell.

If anyone is coming up for the game, there is a pre match function (with guest speaker Tim Silvers) and post match with a couple of players at the Emerald Lakes Golf Club. You need to book for the pre match $20 each but you get a voucher for $20 towards your meal. Pre match starts from 4 with Tim being interviewed from 4:45.

Back