News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

My first thought was lean on bars good, why no shelf to sit drinks on? I’m no stander but I reckon a few would appreciate that. I’m guesssing there’d be a few drinkers in that area 😀
Cup holders like the ones they have on the back of seats would be great. Might have to make something I can bring each week and easily attach to the metal bar to hold my drink!

In terms of discussion about naming part of the stadium after Costa, could one hazard a guess that this new facility may bear his name upon completion?
Would be rude not to I reckon.
As per the article, this is what they're looking at in terms of the training facility, and meets that connections between club & community:

The club is still identifying location sites for the facility within Kardinia Park, which would support the Cats’ four football programs – AFL, AFLW, VFL and VFLW.

But Geelong is also fully committed to opening it up for community and commercial events, with the Kardinia Park precinct already home to swimming, netball, cricket, local football and senior citizens groups.
Surprised we haven't kicked out st Mary's or the cricket club. Or atleast worked with them to use the space more. Always seemed wasted. Is there still a large run down netball court area?
Cup holders like the ones they have on the back of seats would be great. Might have to make something I can bring each week and easily attach to the metal bar to hold my drink!
Good idea. Some type of clip or clamp that goes around the bar with the cupholder attached

Last edited:
Make a few you could earn a bit of pocket money
Or buy and sell these for a profit

Make a few you could earn a bit of pocket money
Or buy and sell these for a profit

They are perfect! Stand out the front of the standing area and sell them like a footy record haha!

The new stand will be partially open tonight after all. As per the Cats latest email to members:

“To say thank you for your ongoing support during Stage 5 works, delivered by the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust, today you will be able to take a sneak peak of the new Joel Selwood Stand ahead of its official opening in Round 1.

You’re invited to sit in the lower tier of the seating bowl, or take in the views from the new Ablett Terrace Standing Room, as we tackle the Bombers in our AAMI Community Series match at GMHBA Stadium at 5.10pm.

Be the first to experience some of the new food and beverage outlets open on Level 1 in the Selwood Stand, as well as the Feature Bar. Other outlets in the Brownlow Stand will also be open.

Entry is via Gate 13 and you can get access the Joel Selwood Stand via the Level 1 concourse.”

The new stand will be partially open tonight after all. As per the Cats latest email to members:

“To say thank you for your ongoing support during Stage 5 works, delivered by the Kardinia Park Stadium Trust, today you will be able to take a sneak peak of the new Joel Selwood Stand ahead of its official opening in Round 1.

You’re invited to sit in the lower tier of the seating bowl, or take in the views from the new Ablett Terrace Standing Room, as we tackle the Bombers in our AAMI Community Series match at GMHBA Stadium at 5.10pm.

Be the first to experience some of the new food and beverage outlets open on Level 1 in the Selwood Stand, as well as the Feature Bar. Other outlets in the Brownlow Stand will also be open.

Entry is via Gate 13 and you can get access the Joel Selwood Stand via the Level 1 concourse.”
I’m not able to be there tonight but hopefully some good photos will be posted tomorrow.
Can’t wait to actually see what we’ve been rambling on about here for the last 88 pages!

We've sussed out train and that's the easiest from Melbourne and get off at South Geelong but on the way back the last train is at like 1045pm which means we miss it.
This is the URL you need to bookmark and check about a week or more before the game.

IMG_20240301_213901.jpg
Does anyone know what they are constructing to the right of this up to the road and back to that new building? Is it just landscape? It's not going to be ready for awhile by the looks

View attachment 1918843
Does anyone know what they are constructing to the right of this up to the road and back to that new building? Is it just landscape? It's not going to be ready for awhile by the looks

Barwon Regional Cricket Centre?

1709460733121.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barwon Regional Cricket Centre?

View attachment 1918849
Yeah from the cricket Centre to the road not sure if it's still technically djilang plaza. All fenced off. Would have been nice to have it finished for season opener but the stand is obv main priority

Reckon Russell Merriman is fortunate to get a balcony named after him.

Nothing to do with Russell or AFL - we need to remember the Stadium is used by more than just the GFC

'Geelong Cricket Club assets such as the Bruce Moore Stand, Merriman Balcony and the Philip Marshall Stand will all retain their previous names.'

Does anyone have any photos from Friday? It looked from the tv that some of the triangle infills in the roof still weren’t complete on the south side, but I could be wrong.
I did get a couple, and you’d be right… they weren’t all quite done, and a bit of the protective railing is still up too. Just a few finishing touches to be done before next weekend :) IMG_4382.jpeg IMG_4379.jpeg IMG_4381.jpeg

That third photo of the bar area, is that on the same level as the "top" level seats, or rather which bay section is that adjacent to?
There's also a similar area on the lower concourse (level with the entryway things on the lower bowl) with a view to the outside as well. However a bit smaller.

Remove this Banner Ad

News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back