News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why they went with that strange curved spikey roof when the rest of the stadium is consistent with a flat roof it looks really odd and is just unnecessary.
The roof is very necessary. It's to allow the stadium to have a cricket comms box inline with the wicket without taking away more seats (so sits above).

It really hasn't changed much at all.

427666950_1428635777729025_2575863173929486448_n.jpg

In everyone's opinion do we now have a stadium that isn't the worst in the league? Prior to Reno where did it rank? In your unbiased opinions. Let's exclude Tas, Ballarat, Cairns from consideration.
Ranking

MCG
Adelaide oval
Perth stadium
SCG
GMHBA?
Giants Stadium
Metricon Stadium
GABBA

Hey Guys,

Found this pic on Reddit. (@u/EmphasisTimely)
I honestly think this redevelopment looks terrible. I wonder who was in charge of designing this thing. Why did they go with this wonky sharp huge roof? It just looks out of place.

I heard someone say "It's to allow the stadium to have a cricket commentary box in line with the wicket without taking away more seats" which makes sense but why did they have to fully change the design of the roof they could have just continued the old one with just a slight incline to make it higher. Or kept it flat and add some more seats to where the reg Hickey stand meets with the Selwood and Premiership stands to reach that 40k capacity.
1mnehy0gmqdc1 - Copy.jpeg

This is what the Stadium was supposed to look like once all the redevelopments were complete ⬇
It's simple and super clean. And the roof is consistently the same height all the way around except for the Reg Hickey stand.
Way better than what has been built.
kardinia-park-stage-5.jpg

Hey Guys,

I honestly think this redevelopment looks terrible. I wonder who was in charge of designing this thing. Why did they go with this wonky sharp huge roof? It just looks out of place.

I heard someone say "It's to allow the stadium to have a cricket commentary box in line with the wicket without taking away more seats" which makes sense but why did they have to fully change the design of the roof they could have just continued the old one with just a slight incline to make it higher. Or kept it flat and add some more seats to where the reg Hickey stand meets with the Selwood and Premiership stands to reach that 40k capacity.
View attachment 1904044

This is what the Stadium was supposed to look like once all the redevelopments were complete ⬇
It's simple and super clean. And the roof is consistently the same height all the way around except for the Reg Hickey stand.
View attachment 1904046
Whilst I agree the proposed design is twice as good I'm guessing they just weren't able to do it whilst meeting those requirements for cricket. I'd prefer it too look like the proposed image as would many but too late now and definitely better than nothing. Just greatful we have what we have after so many years of trying to get to this stage

Whilst I agree the proposed design is twice as good I'm guessing they just weren't able to do it whilst meeting those requirements for cricket. I'd prefer it too look like the proposed image as would many but too late now and definitely better than nothing. Just greatful we have what we have after so many years of trying to get to this stage
Yeah okay. That's probably the best way to view the situation. Any redevelopment is good.

In everyone's opinion do we now have a stadium that isn't the worst in the league? Prior to Reno where did it rank? In your unbiased opinions. Let's exclude Tas, Ballarat, Cairns from consideration.
Ranking

MCG
Adelaide oval
Perth stadium
SCG
GMHBA?
Giants Stadium
Metricon Stadium
GABBA

I don't think it is the worst but it's probably the second worst even after the renovations.

Here are some reasons

1. I hate how the fence is so high above the playing surface it's hard to take photos with the players after the games in certain sections.

2. The oval has easily the worst dimensions in the whole of the AFL being super skinny. This leads to so many boundary throw-ins and just looks strange. Especially on the Reg Hickey stand side. It's almost straight. (Terrible for cricket)

3. They don't allocate the away cheer squad behind the goals they put them in the forward pocket.

4. Tiny Video Screens/Scoreboards.

In my opinion, the order is:

MCG
Perth Stadium
Adelaide oval
Marvel Stadium
SCG
Metricon Stadium
GABBA
GMHBA
Giants Stadium

Doesn’t the new roof have solar panels and green rain water collection sustainable tech or something?

I don't think it is the worst but it's probably the second worst even after the renovations.

Here are some reasons

1. I hate how the fence is so high above the playing surface it's hard to take photos with the players after the games in certain sections.
Stand up - and this may be the most unique crticism of a ground ive read. Well done.
2. The oval has easily the worst dimensions in the whole of the AFL being super skinny. This leads to so many boundary throw-ins and just looks strange. Especially on the Reg Hickey stand side. It's almost straight. (Terrible for cricket)
They are what they are and the AFL has approved it many times. So either accepot it ir if it really bothers you that much, stump up the 200 million needed to rebuild it over the street.
3. They don't allocate the away cheer squad behind the goals they put them in the forward pocket.
Welcome to our Home Ground. they can out you whereever they like.
Tiny as opposed to what exactly.... the measurements you'd like them to be? Granted they arent the best ive ever seen but not sure tiny is what id called them but hey, its your opinion.

MCG
Perth Stadium
Adelaide oval
Marvel Stadium
SCG
Metricon Stadium
GABBA
GMHBA
Giants Stadium

And for the record, a Hawks account with 2 days existence and 4 of 5 posts on the GFC board.... interesting observations.
Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stand up - and this may be the most unique crticism of a ground ive read. Well done.

It’s just my honest opinion, Tandy asked and I’m allowed to say what I think.

They are what they are and the AFL has approved it many times. So either accepot it ir if it really bothers you that much, stump up the 200 million needed to rebuild it over the street.

I never said it shouldn’t be allowed I just said it’s a very narrow oval.

Tiny as opposed to what exactly.... the measurements you'd like them to be? Granted they arent the best ive ever seen but not sure tiny is what id called them but hey, it’s your opinion.

The screens are tiny compared to the likes of the other stadiums on the list.

And for the record, a Hawks account with 2 days existence and 4 of 5 posts on the GFC board.... interesting observations.
Go Catters[/QUOTE]

I didn’t mean to upset you. I was just talking about my honest feelings about the stadium.
Please forgive me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here are some reasons

MCG
Perth Stadium
Adelaide oval
Marvel Stadium
SCG
Metricon Stadium
GABBA
GMHBA
Giants Stadium
Mate you're building a new home on an old toxic dump at Dingley FFS the Hawthorn Ibises.

Mate you're building a new home on an old toxic dump at Dingley FFS the Hawthorn Ibises.
Hey it just got cleared by the EPA as safe for human use the other day after they bought it nearly 9 years ago.

You can barely tell it was ever a tip.

BQrA6Th.gif

Hey Guys,

View attachment 1904044

View attachment 1904046
Agreed.

Nothing like the Hawks state of the art garbage dump.

Here is a snap of a Hawks coach preparing the ground for a training drill.

LS5IE5XFUNK6DK2VG6U6YGFS4A.jpg

Do we think the away cheer squad will remain sectioned in the forward pocket next to the away changerooms? Before the redevelopment, the away cheer squad was in the city end goals.

Having away fans in the Selwood Stand closeby to the standing room would be a bit of fun!

Remove this Banner Ad

News GMHBA Stadium Stage 5 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back