Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

😂 😂 😂

So, Richmond have two high profile, under contract players who want out this trade period

And what's their response to that - let's re-sign another player on a 7-year deal 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Balta is a spud, wtf is wrong with these clubs handing out lifetime contracts, dickheads

If we're to believe reports that Oliver wants out and the playing group aren't fighting to keep him, them Melbourne will still be secretly happy to move him on. Do you really want a bloke on that much coin playing for the club under sufferance.

And as some have suggested, Oliver is open to a move and a renegotiated contract, then I reckon MFC will be privately supportive if they get $1m+ pa off their books for a bloke with some indiscretions. Indiscretions that I think have been magnified as a result of the clubs poor record in dealing with it. If the player agrees a move ticks all the boxes for them personally, and Geelong have a commitment from player and manager to renegotiate the terms within AFL rules, then this is a deal that could easily get done.

No guarantee he ends up at Geelong but players have more control now than they ever have. All over has to do is say "trade me to Geelong or I stay, and you can deal with everything that comes from a bloke at your club who is not invested - as is costing you $1m a year - and don't bother talking to any other clubs either. It's Geelong or nothing".

Melbourne will be happy to move him on their terms. But ultimately if they are too far apart from what we're willing to agree to. e.g, they want a first rounder and us to pay the whole contract, and we want to only pay 900k/year and give up a 3rd rounder, the default outcome is he'll go back and play there next year.

Also a somewhat separate observation re. the bolded. I think this scenario is evidence that the pendulum is actually swinging back the other way. One advantage for clubs of signing players to long terms deals is they get to manoeuvre contracts over time to fit their cap better, and also get a lot more leverage in the instance of a player wanting to leave. e.g., Petracca also wanted to go, but because he's got 6 years left, there's not much he can do about it. If he only had 1 year left, maybe Melbourne would have considered trading him because they risked losing him for much less next year. The long contracts obviously have a risk attached, but it give the clubs more power over the players.

Balta is a spud, wtf is wrong with these clubs handing out lifetime contracts, dickheads
It's a fear reaction.

They're losing a bunch of players, they are scared that other stars will get sick of losing, and go. Back your club in; don't try and hold players in, and don't be scared of losing them.

😂 😂 😂

So, Richmond have two high profile, under contract players who want out this trade period

And what's their response to that - let's re-sign another player on a 7-year deal 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

The long contracts aren't all bad for the clubs. There's no way Richmond would be getting pick 6 from GC if Rioli wasn't contracted.

That said, that is a horrible contract because Balta is a genuine B grader.

😂 😂 😂

You'd think they'd have learnt after giving Hopper that lengthy deal.

Obviously not.

It's a fear reaction.

They're losing a bunch of players, they are scared that other stars will get sick of losing, and go. Back your club in; don't try and hold players in, and don't be scared of losing them.

They probably have heaps of cash to spend, they’d be able to front load those extra long contracts

Me neither but as many have stated, until such time as Oliver or his manager stick a knife through the matter it all seems very odd.

If this was absolutely no chance of happening (the trade) and the player was 100% re-committing to the club, wouldn't you just come out and say that. All we've heard is some flexing by MFC to say "we're not trading Oliver". And I suspect that's more than likely to appease disgruntled members. I spoke to someone who was at the B&F and they said most people in the room didn't buy an ounce of what the club was saying.

With absolutely nothing other than a "feeling", I reckon that things will come to a head over the weekend. Surely Oliver or his management need to come out and either diffuse the speculation or alternatively re-commit to the D's.

If Melbourne don't wish to trade him then there is no trade.
I’m not of that belief. Will accept your point as it is likely to happen. MFC refusing to trade Oliver will increase negative public opinion, well I think. Respect for them has plummeted + only a few still believe their press. There are alternatives 😊

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back