Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

Cheers to Lore for their hard work in setting this up, and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft - and please practice patience grasshoppers if it's not updated in the immediate aftermath of completed trade

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Also,

2024 Free Agency Period

The AFL introduced free agency at the end of the 2012 season, giving players another vehicle where they can transfer from one club to another. Free agency is a common form of player movement in major football and sporting codes around the world.

Free Agency Opens: Friday October 4 at 9.00am
Free Agency Closes: Friday October 11 at 5.00pm

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period

Trade Period Opens: Monday October 7 at 9.00am
Trade Period Closes: Wednesday October 16 at 7.30pm

Cal just said on Gettable just a couple of mins ago that there is no basis to SDK rumours.
I think the whole thing is just the dogs taking a stab.

They offer 6 years and even if they don't get the player there's a chance it wakes another club up and gets them to do the trade, which changes what Geelong has to offer.

Ok this is something I'm not 100% on and could change me saying "we'd be way worse off" if a hypothetical RFA bid was matched on Smith.

If Smith (or anyone) was an RFA and a team matches a bid... does that contract automatically green-light or can the player refuse it and put themselves into the draft?

Can anyone clarify this 100%? It obviously has never happened so it doesn't get much of a mention.
No, it doesn't green light - it goes exactly like it would for a regular end of contract player.

😂 - thinking Campbell Brown is almost worse at this than Cooney

No way Port even gives this a second thought, while Richmond couldn't sign quick enough

6 and 23 for Rioli is insane.

Really?
6 is more than overs I would have thought.

Hardwick must be selling him hard.

Definitely makes them a lot better though. I think they make finals with some of these acquisitions. Rioli is such a smooth operator. Will provide the majority of their defensive attacks for the next 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In re-signing news

Quartet of Cats sign on​

Geelong have received a quadruple boost with Jake Kolodjashnij, Jed Bews, Lawson Humphries and Ted Clohesy signing new deals with the Club.

Geelong has received a quadruple boost with Jake Kolodjashnij, Jed Bews,Lawson Humphries and Ted Clohesy signing new deals with the Club.

Both 2022 Premiership players, Kolodjashnij (end of 2026) and Bews (end of 2025) have extended their time after playing key roles in Geelong’s run to a Preliminary Final in 2024.

Why the LOLS calder_daddy + frggr ???
Spill the tea.

Training with Cats’ players?
IF Smith was undergoing rehab at KP. IF he was also training with Geelong players, coaches + trainers would have seen his incredible training discipline, which could have inspired our players + motivated coaches to suggest a trade from Bulldogs.

Although, I think I read Geelong was interested in Smith for quite a long while. In that case IF he did train with the players, it could have confirmed + increased interest.

Should be extending Humphries for 5 years!!!

It's similar to what we've done in the past with Jack Henry, Zach Guthrie etc - lock them in for an extra year now which gives added security for the immediate future and then a long term contract will come

It's also highly likely that while the club would have loved to sign Humphries on a 5-yr deal, it's not something he or his manager would have looked at after playing just the 11 games - we'd be getting a great deal but likely Lawson would do himself out of a bit of $$$

This way he has job security for the next 2 season, the chance to really lock down a position in the 22 and then be better remunerated from 2027

IF Smith was undergoing rehab at KP. IF he was also training with Geelong players, coaches + trainers would have seen his incredible training discipline, which could have inspired our players + motivated coaches to suggest a trade from Bulldogs.

Although, I think I read Geelong was interested in Smith for quite a long while. In that case IF he did train with the players, it could have confirmed + increased interest.
Kitty, that is all made up.

Apparently he was working through his surgery and rehab with someone who operates out of the town of Geelong. Not the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back