Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Ask and we'll try our best to assist - so here's 2024 Provisional AFL Draft Order

As normal, would like to acknowledge & thank Lore for creating this, keeping it up to date and making it available for all users on BF to use and keep track of the picks ahead of the upcoming draft

I'll also sticky this post to ensure it's easily accessible for discussion of our hypothetical trader

Would honestly prefer just Smith by himself, and hopefully a competent ruckman who can play a full season (ROB for instance)

Back Neale, Henry, & Cameron in, and potentially look at a key forward in next year's first round, or make a genuine offer for Cadman/JUH somewhere down the line.

Would be fine with Waterman's one good year if he was 23-24...but at 26 I can't get the idea of it being a fluke out of my head.

Just need to see more for what he's going to cost.

I reckon it’s a garbage story by a very average journo (WoodenCock).

Give me Bailey Smith and a good Stanley replacement and I’ll be firmer than a WoodenCock.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought Waterman was much bigger. If he is that height I can’t see how he is a fit as I have high hopes for O Henry development. Waterman has also only had 1 good year so it doesnt seem like a risk we would take if you have to pay up
Yeah I don't know. He's a better contested mark than I remember. He would be good as the anchor target that our inside 50s aim to drop to, he can absorb a defender with OHenry loose to come across the front.

Defenders presented with an option of defending the waterman contested mark or trying to block up Ollie's timing on the leap. Can't always do both.

I think it could work I'm just not sure how much I would pay for it when we need to fix a midfield.

Would I like Riley Obrien? Yes...
Is he contracted to Adelaide next season? Yes..

His still Adelaide no 1 ruckman besides only being dropped for 2 games, but then has been there no 1 ruck since. And Adelaide would want to much for him as his contracted. They would want a 1st round draft pick.... so it's a No for me...

I think we could getaway with a ruckman like Reidy or Ladhams ( yes Ladhams is contracted) but would cost SFA as his fringe player and can't get a game ahead of Grundy..
Id be very confident in they could play 12 plus games, and possible more games if Conway can't get his body right

I reckon it’s a garbage story by a very average journo (WoodenCock).

Give me Bailey Smith and a good Stanley replacement and I’ll be firmer than a WoodenCock.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I expect that will be the case. Club seem committed to Smith, and I would guess that a ruckman of some sort will be joining him.

If there's anything in the Waterman talk, it's getting the foot in the door early for next year IMO (like we did with Smith last year)

I went to the WC board a few weeks ago to see what they were saying about Humphries and all of them wanted to trade Waterman for picks. That says it all.

I wouldn't go anywhere near him off half a season of good form in nearly 10 years.

We are not that desperate for a key forward. We can give Neale 12 months, then reassess, and hopefully then someone better is on the market if Neale doesn't cut it.

Could you imagine if we got Obrien and teamed him with Conway?

Has there ever been an all-ranga ruck combo at afl level?
Strawbs O'Dwyer vs Damian Bourke back in the day, and O'Dwyer took out Bourke's ribs in a game, broke them to bits.

Was Steven Handley a red head? He was around the same time
Handley was almost Albino... white hair.

Nash signing on for Hawthorn a bit of a blow. I expect that had we got him we would send Blitz back to KPD and ruck SDK going forward which solves a ruck issue while adding a much needed bigger body through the middle. You'd basically add three new positions to your b22 for the price of a contract

He would have been handy due to versatility but it isnt the end of the world. There will be decent FA options next year.

The Riley O'Brien chatter has certainly increased from contacts I've spoken to in the last few weeks.

If he's gettable, I'd say he fits the bill extremely well as a replacement for Stanley. 28 years of age - has a year to run on a contract at Adelaide. Ranked as "elite" for hitouts in the AFL, and hitouts to advantage. Not sure if he'd look at a move back to Victoria but he would be a great pick up. I'm not sure Conway has a full season of bang and crash in him for a few years yet.

A 3-4 year deal for O'Brien would be perfect - but probably wishful thinking. All I know is that Geelong have asked the question via his manager on a few occasions this year. If nothing else, it shows that we are at least focused on bringing in a decent ruck as insurance while Conway develops and gets his body right.

Look it makes sense because the crows might let him go age wise and hed give us 2 or 3 years of cheap decent coverage (id say 4 years is a stretch) and then retire when younger rucks come on. Hes been open about wanting to continue to be a dr after footy so its probably more about whether he wants to finish his studies in adel (he could always retire early now and do it) or metro melb or geelong. Whether he would consider geelong geographically i have no idea but it makes some sense.

If that is the case he would certainly make life easier for our midfielders.

Hes not traditionally the type of ruck scott likes...decent but not athletic.but what i do like about him is he doesnt get injured much. For a cheaper pick say something in the 30s or 40s he would give us good coverage.

No chance we get Waterman IMO. His manager will just use us and others to force West Coast to cough up. They will milk them for eveything they have. This will be his last big contract. First and last given he has really only just got over injurues and got some runs on the board this year. He's the son of a club legen and WA local, hence the reason he's be unlikely to leave unless they really lowball him on his next deal..

The other factor is he's under contract at the Eagles next year. After the Tim Kelly deal, they will want the farm and then some.

Eagles will reward his form this year with a decent contract.

Also, I was quite surprised to see him listed as only 192cm.

His father doesnt get on as well with WCE as you think. So i could see him.leaving. but realistically manager is just using us to get a better deal at current club.

I'd have a good chuckle to see us recruit Reilly O'Brien just for Chris Scott to turn around and leave him in the VFL so he can still play SDK as the number one.

I'd have a good chuckle to see us recruit Reilly O'Brien just for Chris Scott to turn around and leave him in the VFL so he can still play SDK as the number one.
If we are planning on SDK in the ruck long-term then we do need ROB.

It'll be interesting to see them have a "ruck off" this Saturday.

I got ROB having 50+ taps.

Hopefully whoever rucks for us can get it done around the ground.

Hes not traditionally the type of ruck scott likes...decent but not athletic.but what i do like about him is he doesnt get injured much. For a cheaper pick say something in the 30s or 40s he would give us good coverage.
I honestly think he will cost more then a pick in the 30s... is contracted so they hold the cards..
Early 20s maybe and even at that ,I could say be dreaming. His still currently there no 1 ruckman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might want to give trading with West Coast a wide berth for a few more years yet. They need to have time to forget the Kelly fleecing.

Or we might get asked for 3x R1, R2 and Humphries for Waterman lol.

I honestly think he will cost more then a pick in the 30s... is contracted so they hold the cards..
Early 20s maybe and even at that ,I could say be dreaming. His still currently there no 1 ruckman

Hes going to be 30 when hes ooc next year.
And hes only their no1 ruck because their other rucks like strachan are crap.
I wouldnt pay more than a 30s pick and i doubt other clubs would either.

Would still be better backup than what we have.

Would lol though.

Would still be better backup than what we have.

Would lol though.

In all seriousness given O'Brien was dropped this year for a genuine spud and the fact we know Chris Scott prefers mobile rucks I'd actually be pretty surprised if ROB would get a game for us. And you don't give up a pick in the 30s and a solid salary which he'd be on for a backup.

In all seriousness given O'Brien was dropped this year for a genuine spud and the fact we know Chris Scott prefers mobile rucks I'd actually be pretty surprised if ROB would get a game for us. And you don't give up a pick in the 30s and a solid salary which he'd be on for a backup.

Wonder what impact having King as an assistant would be having on how we approach the ruck position going forward or if he could help influence alternative looks at how we can utilise a ruck?

I think the problem that faces us next year is having a ruck division that can actually get through a full season intact.

Stanley is gone, Conway is extremely fragile, Blicavs is another year older, do we bite the bullet and have SDK put on a bunch of weight in the pre-season and hope that it doesn't cause any issues.

This is a bit moot if we're not going in for next year

The million dollar man Mitchell White….**** me we used to be a basket case

Dark memories ... yet he did finally play in the 2002 VFL flag, from memory.
He was really good at the Eagles in his prime, no question.

I was a little surprised to hear rumour of Jake Waterman this far North, but here we are.
As with most of these things there's probably little substance to the matter; if there is a kernel of truth though it represents an interesting insight into as to where the club may see gaps in the list post this season.

Waterman would be 27 going into 2025; he's played 100 games.

We'll get to see him in action August 23rd @ GMHBA stadium - tickets onsale now! *

* tickets may not be on sale now; I dunno

Waterman has "Jade Rawlings" written all over him.

I agree with you there. As I often say: the most important ability is availability

Might want to give trading with West Coast a wide berth for a few more years yet. They need to have time to forget the Kelly fleecing.

Or we might get asked for 3x R1, R2 and Humphries for Waterman lol.
That is not that far removed from what they are requesting on the WC board.

I saw a serious request of 13+33+humphries for waterman.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back