Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I doubt that happens, players have sponsorship deals with existing sponsors like Ford already just less public.
Huh?

What is the point of sponsoring someone if the sponsorship is not public? Isn’t the reason that you sponsor someone is so that you can attach your brand to them and generate positive publicity?

His manager is the one keen on the $$$

He'd be inundated with requests for Smith to take a few pics and then put his grill on some random product... and they both would be cashing in on it.

It's far different than choosing a club to play for and deciding where you want to live and spend your entire life while contracted.

Geelong is renowned for having its players spend less time at the club than other clubs (more free time - and time is money).

Players seem to love playing for GFC for a bunch of reasons.

I have no clue is Smith is keen to play for us, but there's more than just dollars to consider for Smith.

GFC might offer less money, which is a con... but also potentially has a bunch of pros that could tip being paid less in our favour.
Smith chooses his manager and would have to sign off on every endorsement opportunity. His manager would not be able to make him do anything that he does not want to do.

The manager is also the one who negotiates his contract situation with any potential club he plays for. So you can forget getting him cheap.

He is clearly driven by cash - and I respect that - and I expect that will be the main driver of the decision he makes as to where he wants to play his footy.

That is Smith's 2022 season, which was his 4th year in the system as a 21-year-old.

The risk is that he never gets back to his best after this ACL, but that's on the club to consider and assess.

The upside is certainly there if he does.

View attachment 1981905
Sam Walsh is such a better user of the ball than Bailey Smith. This difference alone makes the above comparison kind of pointless.

Plus smith has not shown anything like his 21/22 form since. Until he proves otherwise he is a shadow of the player he was.

Would you give him more than 4? That's probably the sticking point
If he continues current form for half a season then I would go longer than 4 years.

My concern with Stengle was that 2022 was a fluke year, and that 2023 was more instructive of his true level. However, he is right back at 2022 level this season, and I think we can safely assume that he was heavily hampered by injury in 2023.

He is top 5 most important players for us in the style and system we want to play.

Pay the man

Huh?

What is the point of sponsoring someone if the sponsorship is not public? Isn’t the reason that you sponsor someone is so that you can attach your brand to them and generate positive publicity?
Third party agreements (which is the gist of what we're getting at) have nothing to do with brand exposure, it's just a way of getting around the cap restraints for clubs.

You think Chris Judd suddenly decided to become an environmental activist at 26 after never showing any interest in it previously?

An example like VISY, or in this case Cotton On, aren't doing it for brand exposure. If they can get a few extra $$$ out of it through promotion, that would be a bonus to them.

It happens at every club, and we'd be naive to think otherwise. In some cases, the AFL finances it themselves.

For an example, I've got a mate who's family are pretty high up at the Giants.

As we'd all know, Stephen Coniglio was OOC in 2019 and getting huge offers to leave, but he eventually signed.

He signed for 'unders' to keep the cap in control, but earnt an extra few 100k as a 'GWS ambassador'.

If the AFL pull sneaky ones like that at the clubs they own, there's no doubt the powerful Vic/SA/WA clubs with wealthy businessmen involved are doing similar.

Or you could just as easily get Holmes or SDK or o Henry or Bruhn or …….

Give me 2 cracks at a player like that over taking a gamble on a player and hoping that they will magically find form that they have not shown for 3+ years.
How do you get 2 cracks at a player like that when one of those picks is in the 30s?

It depends where we finish I guess but I don't think we'll miss finals and I think with the run we have we finish probably 6th. So the pick starts at 12, then you add probably both Camporeales, probably Welsh too, maybe Clug goes for band 1 and suddenly the pick is 16. So the coin toss is SDK or Cooper Stephens.

We're not exactly throwing the future away doing that.

How do you get 2 cracks at a player like that when one of those picks is in the 30s?

It depends where we finish I guess but I don't think we'll miss finals and I think with the run we have we finish probably 6th. So the pick starts at 12, then you add probably both Camporeales, probably Welsh too, maybe Clug goes for band 1 and suddenly the pick is 16. So the coin toss is SDK or Cooper Stephens.

We're not exactly throwing the future away doing that.
It's not even a coin toss, that would be 50/50.

Wells' recorded with picks around 15ish is far from 50/50.

I'd take the guaranteed really good youngish player (barring injury) every time over a late draft pick + some steak knives.

I think that would be about as cheap as we could get the deal done though, and it's just about the best-case scenario.

Of course, we are looking at it through Geelong people's eyes.

I haven't really dug deep on what the Doggies fans think the deal should be, but I dare say they wouldn't be hanging out to get a late first-rounder for Smith.

Hopefully they'll get what they are given, and it'll be pick 18 (before bids and compo).

It's not even a coin toss, that would be 50/50.

Wells' recorded with picks around 15ish is far from 50/50.

I'd take the guaranteed really good youngish player (barring injury) every time over a late draft pick + some steak knives.

I think that would be about as cheap as we could get the deal done though, and it's just about the best-case scenario.

Of course, we are looking at it through Geelong people's eyes.

I haven't really dug deep on what the Doggies fans think the deal should be, but I dare say they wouldn't be hanging out to get a late first-rounder for Smith.

Hopefully they'll get what they are given, and it'll be pick 18 (before bids and compo).

He has been out of form for a couple of years and then does his ACL, he is very far from being a guarantee.
At his wage, and you'd be locked him into your inside mid rotations. I see him as a less attractive prospect than Hopper who I really really didn't want. WB tried to put fit him somewhere outside the IM rotations it isn't his go.

He is a completely different player but his career trajectory might not be so different from Chad Wingard with a super early peak.

We do need a blue chip inside mid recruit but if he is the best available I'd rather keep the money and the picks.

He has been out of form for a couple of years and then does his ACL, he is very far from being a guarantee.
At his wage, and you'd be locked him into your inside mid rotations. I see him as a less attractive prospect than Hopper who I really really didn't want. WB tried to put fit him somewhere outside the IM rotations it isn't his go.

He is a completely different player but his career trajectory might not be so different from Chad Wingard with a super early peak.

We do need a blue chip inside mid recruit but if he is the best available I'd rather keep the money and the picks.
My only true concern (but it's a big one) with Smith is him not being able to get his power running back after an ACL.

I'm not too fussed about his form... He had a massive 2022. In 2023 he was moved out of his best position and still got the pill 23.5 times per game... and I know it's not all about numbers but 23.5 is still at least decent.

If the knee recovers fine, I'm good with him.
If it doesn't, I agree he could really slip.

But that'll be on the medical experts to make a call on and If we land him, I damn sure hope they get it right.

I assume we won't have a dip at him if we don't think we can get the best out of him or think he will at least get back somewhere near his peak form.

But I will say I was dead against Hopper (massively didn't rate him) and we wanted him... so who knows.

In the end if he is in the hoops next year I hope he is flying.

If he is not, I'll be totally cool with him being Wingard Mk2.

If it was a top 10 pick, I'd be a hard pass.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand the caution. Ideally you shouldn't be recruiting a player with the expectation that they get better in your system than they were in their last system. But I think it would work and the cost would be fine.

Would you give him more than 4? That's probably the sticking point

Id prefer only to give 4 but if it took 5 to keep him id do it-we will have the cap space after all.

It sounds a bit but depending on numbers it a reasonable trade. The Dogs traded so much for Sander they probably would want more.

They will want more but they arent getting 2 r1s for him ooc off an acl.

I disagree that 15-18 range picks are long term prospects. That range of the draft tends to produce mids (any decent KPP is normally gone by that point) and mids are far more likely to impact the team quickly.

Overpaying for smith due to a lack of “a better option” is a bad idea. It is rarely (if ever) a smart play to overpay to acquire a player.

They can be but wells history with picks in that range shows it can be a crapshoot (see mitch brown smedts thurlow lang cockatoo fogarty stephens etc etc). While weve had some hits weve also had some bad ones and smith is a known quantity providing his knee is sound (which is what worries me).

They will want more but they arent getting 2 r1s for him ooc off an acl.
Obviously the resident club always wants more but imo, its what ever the market says he is worth balanced against what we can pay and what we think our picks can be if we used them in the draft. Some would say what we paid for Bruhn was plenty considering his knee and history. What ever we pay ..the true cost of the trade will only be able to be assessed in 2025 on... as with JezC, Bruhn , Henry etc. Its rare when trades are assessed for value that we feel we have overpaid.

GEELONG GRAMMAR​

#15 Ben Rongdit

A name for Cats fans to track closely as he is tied to the club as a Next Generation Academy prospect for 2025. Rongdit’s ceiling might be as high as his leap – and that’s saying something. The Geelong Next Generation Academy prospect soared into the sky on numerous occasions, including a third quarter hanger, taking three intercept marks and putting on three spoils. His ability to follow up at ground level after competing in the air is rare in a player his size, also laying five tackles for the match. The Colac product scored 109 rankings points but his impact was as big as any Geelong Grammar player.

Smith cares too much about his public persona and image. What better way to increase your clout than by going to the biggest club in the land Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back