Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Burnie v North Hobart at West Park Sat March 31st is the opening Round One game.This will be the only game that weekend.All 10 teams will play the following week which is Easter.Burnie play in the foxtel cup on April 14th & NH have a bye.Good Friday game between NH & Hobart will be played at NH this year.

Burnie v North Hobart at West Park Sat March 31st is the opening Round One game.This will be the only game that weekend.All 10 teams will play the following week which is Easter.Burnie play in the foxtel cup on April 14th & NH have a bye.Good Friday game between NH & Hobart will be played at NH this year.

Where did u locate that pls?

It has not been fully finalised yet but I will try & help you with any specific questions in relation to the roster.

It has not been fully finalised yet but I will try & help you with any specific questions in relation to the roster.

I see Launceston play in Foxtel cup on 31march & Burnie play on 14april.
I trust you have a copy of a proposed roster then? If so, why do they take so long to organise the roster, its late every year. Surely it cant be that hard to do.
I wonder if TSL & regional GFs will clash again?

Hobart FC

Wondering if it is true that only 12 players turned up for training post Xmas.

If this is true it is very disturbing not only for HFC, but for AFL Tasmania.

It would seem that fielding 2 teams each weekend would be unlikely, and that they would be destroyed.

This would not not show TSL football in a good light Australia wide.

It might be time for AFL Tasmania to step in and make some tough calls.

Re: Hobart FC

It would seem that fielding 2 teams each weekend would be unlikely, and that they would be destroyed.

I thought AFL Tasmania stepping in & making comment about Hobart & its future was enough of a tough call! Its just like how the AFL knifed Fitzroy.

Hobart doesn't re-start until Monday for pre-season post Xmas so you'd have to be wrong.

Hobart doesn't re-start until Monday for pre-season post Xmas so you'd have to be wrong.

Thanks Steveo for your information.

Would be interested on HFC numbers at post Xmas season training, as I have been hearing about movement of players to other clubs.

Got told there was about 30 odd at HFC Training last night and a couple of new recruits from up North.

Blundstone Arena unavailable from August onwards.
Does this mean if a southern team earns right to host the GF it'll be at North Hobart Oval?

Big if, given that Launceston and Burnie are the early favs.

No doubt AFL Tas will want the game at Aurora no matter who is playing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there are two southern teams it will be at NH.

If it a southern & northen team in the GF it will be at Aurora even if the southern team wins the second semi.

Reason - better corporate facilities.(which they are undoubtly are)

This reason doesnt make any sense because the majority of corporates on GF day are the clubs who have to pay AFL Tas for a table of 10 whether they want to or not.

Lets say Glenorchy won the second semi but had to play Burnie in Launceston where would you get the best crowd?I would suggest Hobart quite significantly & the financial return on the gate would far outweigh the corporate dollar on the day.

And the Tassie Medal should not be on GF day!

The talk about the corporate facilities at BRO & AO for finals shows that they couldnt give a stuff about the public. If your team finishes top it should get the semi final. NHO is the favorite ground for the footy public. The atmosphere is far superior to AO or BRO with the size of the crowds we get at TSL finals. As stated most of the 'corporates' are the clubs who are forced to pay nearly $2k for tables at the B&F count. The crowds at the TSL finals compared to the local leagues shows what the footy public think. Over 7k for the SFL GF at KGV made the TSL GF look pretty silly at AO.

Noticed that the 2012 roster is now out and Tasmania are playing the VFL. Well I really hope that ALL players are available because if we go into this game without a full strengh team we will get absolutly flogged, im talking 100+ points. This wont be good look for Tasmanian football.

P.S have heard that Lauderdale have just picked up a player who won a reserves B+F with a VFL club last year, anybody know his name.

Future of AFL Tasmania

Surely it is time the AFL increased funding to AFL Tasmania so that it is on an even footing with the rest of the States.

While I fully understand the push into NSW and Queensland, surely our football history deserves more than the funding we presently receive.

We unfortunately only had 2 boys picked up in the National Drafte (Schade at 24 & Webster at 42), plus Aaron Hall picked up in the pre Season draft.

This highlights that the system for showcasing Tassie's football talent needs to be improved.

Additional funding for TSL clubs will improve administration and allow clubs to raise the player payments that are presently in place. This should improve the standard of TSL which at present is seen as a 2nd tier level of football when compared to SANFL & WAFL.

It is imperative that the Mariners compete in the TAC U/18 competion in Victoria. This would result in AFL recruiters seeing these boys on a weekly basis over the entire season.

This was highlighted when boys like McKenzie and Brown were overlooked in favour of boys that had played in the TAC competition.

There are obvious problems that exist, however I believe we owe it to the talented footballers of Tassie to assist them in being drafted.

Re: Future of AFL Tasmania

Gotassieboys,

The existing TSL clubs arent part of the solution - they are part of the problem. The Tasmanian Devils, whether in the VFL or the NEAFL, is the way to go.

Of course, this raises all the usual Tasmanian issues like where it plays and so on, so instead talented Tasmanians will head to the mainland, as Tim Mohr did.

Stuff it. Dont try and fix the North-South rivalry, just play two teams - Hobart and Launceston.

Gotassieboys,

The existing TSL clubs arent part of the solution - they are part of the problem. The Tasmanian Devils, whether in the VFL or the NEAFL, is the way to go.

Of course, this raises all the usual Tasmanian issues like where it plays and so on, so instead talented Tasmanians will head to the mainland, as Tim Mohr did.

Stuff it. Dont try and fix the North-South rivalry, just play two teams - Hobart and Launceston.

I agree that there are alot of people who are only willing to look at their turf, without any consideration for anything else.

My reason for playing the Mariners in the TAC competition is that the kids will know that they have been showcased in a competition that is highly regarded and has the eye of the senior recruiters.

If they are not deemed draftable at this stage then at least they cannot blame lack of exposure as an excuse. Also it may mean that these boys will remain in Tasmania and hence continue to lift the standard.

At present John McKenzie probably feels he needs to show the decision makers how he performs over an entire season and hence his decision to play in the VFL. He could not have done anymore at the NAB U/18 championships in 2011. The exposure post NAB carnival at TSL and his scholol duties probably let him down.

Maybe there is a case to have a Tassie Mariners North & South sides, however this would at best a long term idea.

Clubs have to realise that the majority of these boys have 1-2 years playing in this environment if they are going to be drafted. After this period their pathway is through State league clubs around Australia.

Gotassieboys,

What do the TSL clubs have to do with it? They didnt axe the Devils. Most of then seamed happy to be playing local footy before the TSL 2 was dumped in their laps.
I doubt that their would be the money for 2 Tasmanian teams in the VFL/NEAFL. Its an expensive operation with all the costs of flying around the countryside for not just one, but two teams.
I think if AFLtas want a competitive league then they should make it an 8 team comp & instead of employing lots of office jockeys they should raise the salary cap so its worth the time & effort to play TSL rather than SFL or NTFL etc.

Madmug,

What Im disagreeing with is "Additional funding for TSL clubs will improve administration and allow clubs to raise the player payments that are presently in place".

If you have semiprofessional teams, then Id expect players are paid $400 a week - well, theres 2 return tickets to Sydney or Brisbane, bought in bulk, right there. The expensive thing is paying people, not buying tickets.

AFL Tasmania doesnt have any money. The AFL, in the other hand, does. Putting Tasmanian team into the NEAFL East, just like the NT Thunder went in the NEAFL North, fits the AFL's agenda of nationalising the game under it's control.

Now, if you have a team, the whole stupid north-south split raises it's head, which is why I suggest two teams.

But the key is to fit in with the AFL's agenda, because they have the money.

Noticed that the 2012 roster is now out and Tasmania are playing the VFL. Well I really hope that ALL players are available because if we go into this game without a full strengh team we will get absolutly flogged, im talking 100+ points. This wont be good look for Tasmanian football.

P.S have heard that Lauderdale have just picked up a player who won a reserves B+F with a VFL club last year, anybody know his name.

who would coach the tassy side surely brent plant would have to be a contender

Hawks Scratch match 10/2/2012

I heard that a few Tassie boys are going to have a run with the Hawks in their intra club game tomorrow.

Dobosz, Mihocek and Byard are a few of the boys apparently playing at Aurora. Good luck boys!

Remove this Banner Ad

General TSL Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back