No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, so who nearly killed David Rodan?

This sums up in a nut shell the absurdity of what the academies are supposed to be for

Ah yes, the romance of .... academies plucking legimate sons of guns for other clubs.

Northern Academy system is broken for a number of reasons, and this is just another feather in that particular cap. Not to also mention, how basically Lions are now benefitting from BOTH f/s and academy systems - like tell me how that is fair?

Already consigned to losing him to Brisbane at this point - absolutely sucks, but Hawks will win more finals than the Lions will across the next 10 years, so w/e.

This sums up in a nut shell the absurdity of what the academies are supposed to be for. Cooper Hosge playing with lions academy

Luke: Listen, Coop, it is 100% your decision whether to play for Brisbane or Hawthorn. I will support you whichever way you choose. I will let you out of the trophy room just before draft night.

I wouldn't stress too much about him being in their academy. He lives in QLD, it is his best access to any kind of elite junior development pathway. Should he not play in it to make us feel better about our chances of getting him? Should he force his family to move to Melbourne so he can play CTL? Should the Brisbane academy refuse to take him in because he comes from an AFL background?

Plenty to play out here.

Can we not. It's 2024 - can a woman in an influential position possibly be given some *ing credit. I am not saying you have to be a fan of her decisions but for * sake stop diminishing her climb up the ladder by saying it was a token employment selection.
100% agree. We can go after her for being a lawyer, just like Adrian Anderson who used to drive me nuts when he was in the role.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’re lucky it’s being played down at their dump - the only thing that will give them a chance is they’ll have the home ground, umpires and feral crowd on their side… If at the MCG it would be a flogging…

Hopefully we go in with no fear. The team looked like they were relishing the hostile crowd against the Tigers. The Chol, Dear, Ginnivan and the Wiz (especially) had the biggest sh*t eating grins with every goal that sailed though.

I wonder how the dimensions of the field would change or affect our gameplan?

Last edited:
In my view, it doesn’t change much. Minor adjustments will need to be made but there are pros and cons so it evens out.

Probably makes it more difficult to spread and create the gaps in zones, which has been key in the ball movement aspect from the half backs, Impey, Amon, Sicily etc.

In what it makes more difficult, makes it easier with less ground required to zone and squeeze, this will likely benefit the defensive structure and “Bermuda Triangle”.

The strength of the group around the ball, and at stoppage on a skinny ground where it is heavily reliant on contest wins & defensive structure.

This is why Geelong have been so dominant at GMHBA is the structure they hold and their ability to win contest and pressure, their gameplan adapts to grounds well but suits their home ground majorly.

I’m interested to see it, but I feel the side has adapted now to wide grounds and that was the next step, as it was easier to execute on Marvel for example.

In the end, it’s always a hard trip, but I presume the boys would be confident in a win and I am, especially with how Geelong are travelling currently.

Yeah the cats ground is unique it's narrow and long and slopes to one side of the ground so ure running up hill almost when kicking one way. It works well for the cats because it suits their defensive structures. My two fondest memories at the ground crawf kicking the winner in time on in 2007 after a hard fought game and then watching boxhill play Geelong in a semi final and Doc Duryea dominate the game and box Hill triumph being rank underdogs. I can't remember the year will maybe google it

no game is an easy win imo.

we should - eagles, tigers north, dockers
we could - crows, cats, pies, giants
tough - blues
Eagles form poor, should win comfortably
Tigers aren’t very good same same
North inconsistent but should win comfortably
Dockers poor form + inconsistent and at UTAS, should win
Crows also in that bunch, lost to Richmond at AO so it’s irrelevant, should win

Cats Pies Giants are all wins the group have been doing recently and are seen as 50/50 games.

Blues genuinely the second best team in it, but polar opposite styles ball movement wise, so will be interesting, could be a good crowd too, that’s a test and will define this group and the season.

Hawks retro guernsey winner announced. Disappointed. I thought this was the worst of the three options :(

Ripped us up last time.
13 touches in the first qtr. When the damage was done.
How was the damage done in the first quarter when we were only 4 points down early in the third? At no point did Bruhn rip us or anyone else up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back