No Oppo Supporters General AFL discussion and other club news

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some pretty big differences between us and Richmond when we chose to top up tho.

Tom and Jaegs were 2-3 years younger than Hopper and Taranto, we still had Gunners, Breust, Shiels, Frawley, Smith, Cyril, Stratts under 28. Probably bore a bit more optimism than Richmond.

Richmond topped up with 2 older guys, while their guys like Lynch, Prestia, Grimes, Dusty, Cotchin, Riewoldt were all 30+. Their call to take on those 2 was the most predictably bad one you could imagine.
In hindsight we ****ed up. But at the time we went for it and I would say most were on board.

Richmond however had a few differing case studies (Hawks, Geelong & Swans) to analyse and chose the one that didn't work......

In hindsight we ****ed up. But at the time we went for it and I would say most were on board.

Richmond however had a few differing case studies (Hawks, Geelong & Swans) to analyse and chose the one that didn't work......
I don't necessarily agree that we ****ed up. It's been repeated so many times I think SYL needs permanent therapy, but it's possible to not **** up and still not succeed. There were a lot of sliding doors moments where things went horribly wrong for us that made it fail.

Geelong topped up more than us and with older players and it won them a flag, because those players stayed on the park and they still had Hawkins, Selwood, Duncan in a good age range. Richmond topped up with genuinely no young stars, it was a bad decision even without the benefit of hindsight.

Footy is getting hard to watch, when it’s not the Hawks. Umpiring, commentary and lack lustre games, blow outs etc. I usually catch a game or two outside of ours each week, now it’s more casual glances maybe stop for a minute at the gym for a look but seems all a bit blah …….
Scummers playing well not helping :oops:

Footy is getting hard to watch, when it’s not the Hawks. Umpiring, commentary and lack lustre games, blow outs etc. I usually catch a game or two outside of ours each week, now it’s more casual glances maybe stop for a minute at the gym for a look but seems all a bit blah …….
You are so right.

Umpiring or lack of it is destroying it. It is now about who is switched on with the latest fads of the umpiring fraternity and playing to them. It is shit and has been for a long while.

Game day Commentary is less so about calling what is happening and more about proving an opinion. Just call the ****en game.

Dont mind watching Storm or Victory as a change up as I would never have done so previously.

It is what it is. I am sure there are others who love it as it is.

So you go to their board to read what they’ve got to say & then you find them insufferable ??

I’m sure if people came to our board during the 3peat they’d say we were insufferable.

In fact, if they came to our board now there would be some who’d say we are still insufferable
we are nothing like their fans..... apart from smart Alecs in the witty form, we have a good fan base overall and don't act like clowns when we win flags

that said Pie fans are even worse then Richmond

My issue was never with Richmond BigFooty supporters. It's always been with my friends and colleagues. I know too many Tigers supporters and compared to every other team that has won a flag in recent years, no group has been more floggish than them. Just my personal experience though.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

You are so right.

Umpiring or lack of it is destroying it. It is now about who is switched on with the latest fads of the umpiring fraternity and playing to them. It is s**t and has been for a long while.

Game day Commentary is less so about calling what is happening and more about proving an opinion. Just call the hecken game.

Dont mind watching Storm or Victory as a change up as I would never have done so previously.

It is what it is. I am sure there are others who love it as it is.
This what the AFL should be most worried about. They are trying to eat into the NRL market but don’t seem interested in retaining current AFL fans.

There should be no reason an AFL fan would change channels to watch NRL or Soccer, but they are allowing our game to get uglier to watch due to the way the rules are officiated. Too many grey areas in the rules for the umpires to make assertive decisions, and fans tune out because of the lack of consistency.

I find myself getting frustrated watching games I have little interest in, let alone Hawks games.

These are the areas of the games I really struggle to understand in the current game:
  • Holding the ball, omg this is way too hard to work out.
  • Insufficient intent, has gone way too far. Might as well make this rule like all other sports and have it last touched.
  • Players getting held at stoppages. Some players get rewarded, others don’t.
  • Push in the back when kicking, hardly ever paid then they will pluck out one here and there. Should be paid way more often.
  • Forwards being held. I thought the extra umpires were meant to improve this, but they position themselves horribly. Again some get these frees like Ben King, and a lot don’t.
  • Rucks - Does anyone know wtf goes on in ruck contests.
I used to get frustrated at the umps, but now I just feel sorry for them.

My issue was never with Richmond BigFooty supporters. It's always been with my friends and colleagues. I know too many Tigers supporters and compared to every other team that has won a flag in recent years, no group has been more floggish than them. Just my personal experience though.

Bloke I know (friend of a friend) morphed from casual observer to grand wizard of all things football. Hilarious to watch and listen to the carry on.

Here’s my contrarian hot take.

Equalisation has had some positives in that on any given day, just about any game involving the top 14 or so teams are a genuine chance at winning. Similarly those teams are all a chance at the 8.

But… I’d argue there are no great teams anymore. Everyone these days are just fine. Beige. Part of my love of watching footy as a neutral was watching the absolute best teams - all-timers - duke it out at the highest possible level. i don’t think any of the top teams from the past few years will be looked at as nearly as good as Hawks, Cats, Lions, Bombers, North etc of previous eras.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez, I was well into my thirties when I met what could be generously called a "nice" Richmond supporter. Even now I probably only know less than five. The rest border on the sociopathic.

Over here that behaviour is generally balanced by the appalling behaviour of crows fans.

Couldn't agree more.
BF aside, Richmond supporters were the most insufferable.
I know more Collingwood supporters, their schtick was saying "flagpies" after every win or gloated over Nick Daicos being the second coming.

Geelong supporters barely exist, they were smug but few and far between

Melbourne supporters I was genuinely happy for

West Coast I was indifferent about.

Richmond supporters though.... yikes

He’ll miss against us it seems.

Great outcome for us but it's bad for the game if soft tissue troubles are gonna plague another exciting young forward making the transition to midfield. We saw it with Cyril, Wings, it would suck to see it happen to Rankine as well.

This what the AFL should be most worried about. They are trying to eat into the NRL market but don’t seem interested in retaining current AFL fans.

There should be no reason an AFL fan would change channels to watch NRL or Soccer, but they are allowing our game to get uglier to watch due to the way the rules are officiated. Too many grey areas in the rules for the umpires to make assertive decisions, and fans tune out because of the lack of consistency.

I find myself getting frustrated watching games I have little interest in, let alone Hawks games.

These are the areas of the games I really struggle to understand in the current game:
  • Holding the ball, omg this is way too hard to work out.
  • Insufficient intent, has gone way too far. Might as well make this rule like all other sports and have it last touched.
  • Players getting held at stoppages. Some players get rewarded, others don’t.
  • Push in the back when kicking, hardly ever paid then they will pluck out one here and there. Should be paid way more often.
  • Forwards being held. I thought the extra umpires were meant to improve this, but they position themselves horribly. Again some get these frees like Ben King, and a lot don’t.
  • Rucks - Does anyone know wtf goes on in ruck contests.
I used to get frustrated at the umps, but now I just feel sorry for them.
The big issue with holding the ball, and the reason the umpires manifest so much idiocy is the rule regarding no genuine attempt (which does not require prior opportunity) is completely ignored, but it is still a rule. The umpires claim "no prior" but that rule requires that the player still make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball. But the genuine attempt started as attempting to dispose of the ball, or actually disposing of it (whether a team mate was nearby or not) by the 90s it was the player wiggling his fist at air repeatedly in some pantomime. Then it became players doing the Silly Salmon on the ground like they were having a fit while on fire, until now it is standing there being tackled and doing nothing.

If they changed ALL the rules to be simply "If in the gut feel of the umpire a free kick should be paid" people would be less confused. (not dissimilar to the "in the back" free against North just a minute ago.)

There are some pretty big differences between us and Richmond when we chose to top up tho.

Tom and Jaegs were 2-3 years younger than Hopper and Taranto, we still had Gunners, Breust, Shiels, Frawley, Smith, Cyril, Stratts under 28. Probably bore a bit more optimism than Richmond.

Richmond topped up with 2 older guys, while their guys like Lynch, Prestia, Grimes, Dusty, Cotchin, Riewoldt were all 30+. Their call to take on those 2 was the most predictably bad one you could imagine.
Hopper (24) was a year older than Jaeger/Tom (23) were when we recruited them. Taranto at 25 was 2 years older. Hardly “topping up” with older guys.

Not sure why all the boots into Richmond. They are exactly where they should be after 3 flags in 4 years. You'd take it every time. They just made the mistake of trying to top up with two goodish players at the expense of draft picks... much like hawthorn.

Still, it's kind of funny.

During their up years, they used the draft more than we did in ours, but they did have players with currency wanting to leave. Very few wanted to leave hawthorn

Great outcome for us but it's bad for the game if soft tissue troubles are gonna plague another exciting young forward making the transition to midfield. We saw it with Cyril, Wings, it would suck to see it happen to Rankine as well.
I'm not across his personal injury history but in this instance he was bursting away on a long run in the dying seconds of a tight game and then tried to kick the leather off the ball to get it as deep inside 50 as he could. I think it would have put most players hammy to the test doing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back