Opinion Geelong's era of dominance over

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne's last five years of drafts have started:

2019: Pick 31
2020: Pick 3
2021: Pick 1 (Already left the club)
2022: Pick 3
2023: Pick 2

And that's one of the historically worst teams we've seen in ages whose supporters are understandably sick of being crap, yet despite all this they've only managed to grab the single pick 1 in that five year stretch in JHF who left to Port after one year. But apparently your Tiggies are looking at collecting the next FIVE pick 1s in a row?

full

And they’re all going to be generational talents.

Just looking at a random 5 year sample 2013-2017 of top 10 picks

2013: one superstar taken at #4 in Bontempelli, one other one-time AA in Josh Kelly taken at 2. The next best value player I suppose would be Tom
Boyd at #2 because of one match.

2014: one superstar - Christian Petracca at #2, one other AA in Darcy Moore at #9. Brayshaw at #3 and De Goey at #5 have been decent but weren’t ever club alteringly good

2015: one superstar in the top 9 - Clayton Oliver at #4. Some decent AA players at 3 and 5 in Callum Mills and Darcy Parish. But arguably the next best player behind Oliver in the top 10 was taken AT 10, in Harry McKay. Nothing else of any real note.

2016: this is where it starts to get interesting. These guys have plenty of time left to make an impact but the highest draft pick from this year to make the AA team? Tim English at 19. None of the top 10 have managed it yet and the closest thing to a star from that top 10 is probably Hugh McCluggage or if I’m being generous given he won your best and fairest, Tim Taranto. In fact, the second highest drafted player from that year to win a flag so far has been Brandon Parfitt at 26.

2017: Andrew Brayshaw at #2 is the lone AA so far. LDU has shown a bit and players like Cerra have had their moments, there are some other good ones in there that will probably have some AA seasons at some point. Others like Aaron Naughton look a complete bust at the moment.

Why should Falcon’s theory that just getting top 5-10 picks year after year be a golden ticket, be taken seriously when all the data suggests that those players are just as likely to be either mediocre as they are to be superstars?

just getting top 5-10 picks year after year be a golden ticket, be taken seriously when all the data suggests that those players are just as likely to be either mediocre as they are to be superstars?
It feels like clubs are starting to realise this now too - letting the bottom of your club fall out for some magic beans can do more harm than good. Especially with how compromised the draft is with F/S and academy stuff nowadays you can be the worst team in the comp but end up with the 3rd most talented junior, only to find out his game doesn't translate to the elite level and you've spent an entire year at the bottom for nothing. You still need a sputtering of elite players which for rebuilding clubs the only way to really get your hands on them is through the draft, but the days of trying to build an entire team out of top 10 picks looks to be over outside of the expansion teams.

The simple fact that North, as bad as they've been in recent years, have only been able to grab the consensus #1 junior a single time is crazy.

I love how Falcon on the one hand thinks top 10 picks are guaranteed guns and then dismisses Jhye Clark (pick 8) because he hasn't dominated in his first 5 games.
I’m talking about top 5 picks not 10.

After 5 it’s speculation really. Like Clark, hope you didn’t pick a dud with it.

It feels like clubs are starting to realise this now too - letting the bottom of your club fall out for some magic beans can do more harm than good. Especially with how compromised the draft is with F/S and academy stuff nowadays you can be the worst team in the comp but end up with the 3rd most talented junior, only to find out his game doesn't translate to the elite level and you've spent an entire year at the bottom for nothing. You still need a sputtering of elite players which for rebuilding clubs the only way to really get your hands on them is through the draft, but the days of trying to build an entire team out of top 10 picks looks to be over outside of the expansion teams.

The simple fact that North, as bad as they've been in recent years, have only been able to grab the consensus #1 junior a single time is crazy.
Worked for us hawks and you guys with Hawkins.

North have retention issues, JHF, Larkey, Sheezel would have been a great core.

I’m talking about top 5 picks not 10.

After 5 it’s speculation really. Like Clark, hope you didn’t pick a dud with it.

Whatever will we do without top-5 picks at the draft?

Now this WILL be a conundrum for the cats recruitment staff, something new for us to deal with after only going 34 years without a top 5 pick. Not sure how we will navigate this period going forward.

You seem super obsessed with Geelong's 2022 draftee five-gamer pick 8 Jhye Clark when I reckon there'd be far more concern over Richmond's 2021 pick 9 Josh Gibcus who's about to miss a second straight year and potentially being one of those perenially injured types. We just hope you didn't pick a dud with it. Van Rooyen would've been a nice understudy to Lynch at the minute I bet.

Nothing is guaranteed but who would have a better chance of getting then

A team getting pick 1, 5 years in a row or a team with pick 17, 5 years in a row. This is what is going to happen with our two clubs. The gulf of talent will be huge. Our second round pick will be pretty much as good as your first rounder too.

Yeah but in the year 2062, we’ll be good and you’ll be bad.

Am I doing it right?

Yeah but in the year 2062, we’ll be good and you’ll be bad.

Am I doing it right?

Imagine The Beatles signing a record deal and basically saying ‘who cares about this album the only one that matters will be the one that comes out in 10 years time. We will just write s**t songs for now and hope we get some inspiration by then.’

Whatever will we do without top-5 picks at the draft?

Now this WILL be a conundrum for the cats recruitment staff, something new for us to deal with after only going 34 years without a top 5 pick. Not sure how we will navigate this period going forward.

The bigger the pride the harder the fall. Good, let’s see how you go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine The Beatles signing a record deal and basically saying ‘who cares about this album the only one that matters will be the one that comes out in 10 years time. We will just write s**t songs for now and hope we get some inspiration by then.’

Most of there songs are s**t except for yellow submarine.

The bigger the pride the harder the fall. Good, let’s see how you go.

It’s got nothing to do with pride. Your sheer level of vitriol and and desire to see failure in a sporting organisation is like nothing I’ve ever witnessed on a sports forum realistically. Observing trends and past patterns has nothing to do with pride I’m sorry to tell you.

It’s got nothing to do with pride. Your sheer level of vitriol and and desire to see failure in a sporting organisation is like nothing I’ve ever witnessed on a sports forum realistically. Observing trends and past patterns has nothing to do with pride I’m sorry to tell you.

Ah that’s why you get so annoyed you think I think that. I just call it as it is, like with the Clark stats, which you guys also hated.

No it’s arrogance to think you can beat the system. It’s not a hard concept to grasp, over the long term better picks get you better players, if you do not draft enough good players you cannot contend. Imagine you didn’t have Hawkins, you probably wouldn’t have one 2022.

Ah that’s why you get so annoyed you think I think that. I just call it as it is, like with the Clark stats, which you guys also hated.

No it’s arrogance to think you can beat the system. It’s not a hard concept to grasp, over the long term better picks get you better players, if you do not draft enough good players you cannot contend. Imagine you didn’t have Hawkins, you probably wouldn’t have one 2022.

I didn’t even comment on the Clark stats. He’s played 5 games 😂

It’s not arrogance to think we can beat the system. We’ve already done it. Not sure where the arrogance is to think we can do something we’ve already done.

Two clubs have been beating it for 25 years, another club (Collingwood) you could argue has probably been doing it as well.

Imagine we didn’t have Hawkins. So what. Every piece of available evidence suggests we would have found a way to fill that void in some other capacity. Would we have won that flag? Maybe not, who knows: it’s a hypothetical question.

As a club who hasn’t had a top 5 pick in 34 seasons, never missed the finals more than 3 years in a row, but has made 10 grand finals, won four flags, and averaged a preliminary final one in every TWO years during that period - yes, we have made 17 preliminary finals in 34 seasons without a top 5 draft pick - I think our method is fairly sound.

But no, you’re way more up with this than the Geelong method 😂

I didn’t even comment on the Clark stats. He’s played 5 games

It’s not arrogance to think we can beat the system. We’ve already done it. Not sure where the arrogance is to think we can do something we’ve already done.

Two clubs have been beating it for 25 years, another club (Collingwood) you could argue has probably been doing it as well.

Imagine we didn’t have Hawkins. So what. Every piece of available evidence suggests we would have found a way to fill that void in some other capacity. Would we have won that flag? Maybe not, who knows: it’s a hypothetical question.

As a club who hasn’t had a top 5 pick in 34 seasons, never missed the finals more than 3 years in a row, but has made 10 grand finals, won four flags, and averaged a preliminary final one in every TWO years during that period - yes, we have made 17 preliminary finals in 34 seasons without a top 5 draft pick - I think our method is fairly sound.

But no, you’re way more up with this than the Geelong method

The Geelong method didn’t work to well with your best ever player in it did it?

You’ve taken a small sample size and extrapolated it out to infinity. That’s what children do. So many clubs have thought that and at failed. So will Geelong eventually. It’s not hate. That’s the pattern and system of AFL.

The Geelong method didn’t work to well with your best ever player in it did it?

You’ve taken a small sample size an extrapolated it out to infinity. That’s what children do.

Small sample size = over a third of a century

Yeah.

Didn’t work too well? What because we didn’t win premierships? Yeah sorry but it also wasn’t a complete failure was it Einstein in that we didn’t spend forever camped in no man’s land unable to compete

I’m sorry to break it to you but you haven’t made a dent in this argument and you aren’t going to and the fact that you’re still in here desperately trying to refute black and white facts with anything you can get your hands on is pretty pathetic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back