Review Geelong defeats Hawks by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Home from the G. So happy to be back there. Enjoyed that win a lot. The weather was good, seats were great, the hot chips were good and we beat the hawks by under a goal. Just about perfect.
Yep, plenty to work on but the hawks games are a law unto themselves regardless of how the season is going, so great to have another close one. The siren was a long time coming but impressed by the grit the team showed in that last crazy 5 -7 or so minutes. Go Cats.

Apparently the umps won it for us again, guys
Hawks kicked 9 goals and I think 4 were from free kicks.
This happened against Brisbane as well.
Maybe it’s not the umpires it’s the way our defenders defend
I do wish Hawk wasn’t so big though and could be thrown around because that’s all Mitch Lewis did today was be shit and got rewarded for it

Last edited:

It wasn't a pretty win but I'll take it. Listening to Robbo rant after the game on 360 you could tell he was barracking for the Hawks to win. Anyway, he did pose an interesting question about whether Geelongs slow game is going to cut it this year since the new rules favor faster, more direct attacks (see Rich V Syd as an example). Time will tell, I guess. But the Cat's looked better when they moved the ball quickly. With that, I can agree. **** the Hawks, that's all I have to say about them.

Guthrie had an amazing game. Whoever was writing him off before the season started let that be a lesson to you. The side needs Paddy and Menegola back. Having Duncan back was terrific. He made a real difference. Our lads should have been five goals up at qtr time, but they scraped home with two in the sheds with injuries. To me, that's a brave win, but we know the media won't see it that way. It's getting really hard to watch Fox Footy with the flogs they have on it these days.

One more week until Paddy returns

Last edited:
Hawks kicked 9 goals and I think 4 were from free kicks.
This happened against Brisbane as well.
Maybe it’s not the umpires it’s the way our defenders defend
I do wish Hawk wasn’t so big though and go be thrown around because that’s all Mitch Lewis did today was be sh*t and got rewarded for it

Yeah Lewis this week and Hipwood last week. Free kicks for being as weak as piss 😠

Things:

- I hate to run against the grain but I really don't know what to make of Holmes' debut. He doesn't go in very hard, actually looked like he squibbed and it really hurt us a few times. He got the ball and coughed it up really badly....but it wasn't the worst debut I've seen either. Jury out on that. He'll keep his spot due to injuries I think. Not awful, but I don't know.

- Atkins is going well. Crashing that pack and taking the game on late may have saved us from undoing the work of Henry for that last goal. Happy with this move.

- Skill errors galore. That should improve.

- Blitz needs to actually move his feet when he first takes possession. He props and looks for an option under pressure too often. He's getting tackled a lot and it could have cost us the points last week.

- Stanley looked like he might have been carrying a corky or something from early in the game. In the second quarter, you would swear he was playing like he had just polished off a slab, walked outside and saw a random footy game and joined in.

- Coaches moves worked when we were under the pump. Henry swinging forward and bringing Duncan back to the wing helped keep us in it.

- Constable. Hmm. Just not damaging or influential enough when he gets the ball. Been saying it for a while. This forum should invest in sending him a year's supply of protein shakes as well, because he's still built for U18s and can't seem to get a win in close contests. They say he is an "in and under" player, but I just don't see it.

- We won't miss Evans. Close will get his chance.

- We will miss Higgins. Old guys with hamstrings= many weeks out.

- With the new rules, you would hate to be a defender. Great for fans with ADHD of course. Would also suit tennis and basketball fans and if you are at the game, it will give your neck a decent workout.

- I hate umpires.

- I hate the Hawks.

That is all.

It wasn't a pretty win but I'll take it. Listening to Robbo rant after the game on 360 you could tell he was barracking for the Hawks to win. Anyway, he did pose an interesting question about whether Geelongs slow game is going to cut it this year since the new rules favor faster, more direct attacks (see Rich V Syd as an example). Time will tell, I guess. But the Cat's looked better when they moved the ball quickly. With that, I can agree. fu** the Hawks, that's all I have to say about them.

Guthrie had an amazing game. Whoever was writing him off before the season started let that be a lesson to you. The side needs Paddy and Menegola back. Having Duncan back was terrific. He made a real difference. Our lads should have been five goals up at qtr time, but they scraped home with two in the sheds with injuries. To me, that's a brave win, but we know the media won't see it that way. It's getting really hard to watch Fox Footy with the flogs they have on it these days. I cringe every time I hear Brown's voice these days.

Paddy back next week, I feel better already.

Unfortunately he’s not.

These 3 photos are massive and no doubt things coaches look at
In Red is Clark, Yellow Parfitt and Blue Hawkins
When Clark gets the ball off Henry, Parfitt is right next to him
Hawkins worked hard to get back into the forward 50 2CDBEA04-9DC0-4D04-A0D1-089F46BD8608.jpeg E26F9D42-D7CD-4E8A-86FA-F3EEC469F78D.png

Attachments

• AE9D730B-A593-4977-A865-B093470245DB.png
    AE9D730B-A593-4977-A865-B093470245DB.png
    145.1 KB · Views: 69

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasn't a pretty win but I'll take it. Listening to Robbo rant after the game on 360 you could tell he was barracking for the Hawks to win. Anyway, he did pose an interesting question about whether Geelongs slow game is going to cut it this year since the new rules favor faster, more direct attacks (see Rich V Syd as an example). Time will tell, I guess. But the Cat's looked better when they moved the ball quickly. With that, I can agree. fu** the Hawks, that's all I have to say about them.

Guthrie had an amazing game. Whoever was writing him off before the season started let that be a lesson to you. The side needs Paddy and Menegola back. Having Duncan back was terrific. He made a real difference. Our lads should have been five goals up at qtr time, but they scraped home with two in the sheds with injuries. To me, that's a brave win, but we know the media won't see it that way. It's getting really hard to watch Fox Footy with the flogs they have on it these days.

Paddy back next week, I feel better already.
Paddy can play VFL again? Official game isn’t it?

Need Cameron in quick smart . We are too Tommy conscious. And he leads to the boundary line too often. Surely if the opposition focuses on Tommy on the boundary line there are other options in better positions.
Awful stuff today! Next 6 weeks will tell a tale!
Hard to blame Hawkins for that one. Slow ball movement down the wings means the opposition set up and guard the middle leaving him very few options other than the flanks. I think we saw it tonight, one of the worst games where we have avoided the direct attack, he was forced to get his kicks long and wide.

On a related note, I think we can see the importance of Mengola here. A taller, marking mid who can provide an option in the centre because of his work rate. Duncan will also provide this out from d50 as he gets fitter.

Paddy can play VFL again? Official game isn’t it?
Sorry, Paddy isn't back next week. So everyone can stop quoting my post. I changed it. I made a mistake. Leave it alone. All of you. ALL of you. LOL.

Ralphie is saying so.

Some dude over at the Hawks forum said:

The Cats were rubbish, and aren't going to worry many dishing that up. But they dominated us for 2/3 of the match. We managed to kick three goals for the match before the seniors menu started at Country Kitchen Buffet. It was impressive we got as close as we did.

Which I thought was gold standard funny.

No doubt we will be better with JC , but seriously, we should of played Jenkins or Fort or Kreuger, just pure simple for structure to help out Hawkins... poor bugger got hammed but did awesome been double up..

I wonder if maybe the MC planned a Hendo or Henry forward setup pre-game and decided to go with that?
I agree I think Jenkins would have been a good foil for both Hawkins and Stanley though.

Probably doesn’t matter much with the hammy now but Higgins hasn’t been particularly hard at the ball so far with us, a couple of ordinary efforts today. Also a bit flippant with his ball use, has swung on to the left a few times when it’s a bit unnecessary and missed whatever targets he was aiming for. I expect a lot more from these experienced top up players, like I always have of Dangerfield. I’d much rather watch a player we’ve developed over the years give their all than someone not giving us all they have.

Perhaps I’m struggling to emotionally connect with this current team and the imports cop the brunt of it. The game style isn’t helping. Not only is it boring at times, we invite the pressure by not making the most of momentum when we have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Geelong defeats Hawks by 5 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back