Geelong - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong easily have the best list on paper.

Only issue is going to be hunger.

If the Tigers can somehow get nasty and hungry they could swoop.

I think we have the best 22 in the league but it's pretty close and with Selwood retiring, maybe not now.

I'm super confident that we have the best 30 though. We bat deeper than anyone, even if we are light on key position depth. Hopefully that can propel us to another flag but who knows.

I'm not without peer when it came to conveying frustration after the horrendous performance in the Preliminary Final last year.

I'd like to think that I'm a level-headed person, but in saying that, I'm not immune to getting frustrated with repeated final failures.

If you look over my posting history, I doubt you'll find a history of "ranting and raving" about Chris Scott and the team in general.

The post in question is an outlier, and was written, as mentioned before, in the heat of the moment after a terrible loss.

I am glad to say that, in the heat of the moment, my assessment of Geelong at the time of that loss was proven to be wrong 12 months later.

As for my current belief of Geelong's chances next year; the club is as good a chance to go back-to-back as it ever has been.

However, I recall season 2008, where I was supremely confident that we'd go back-to-back, yet we all know how that turned out.

Melbourne supporters would have been as equally confident before the start of the season and even more so after round 10. It all went downhill from there.

Things change quickly in footy; there's no way to predict who will rise next season, and how hungry the side will be for more success.

I hope like anything that the boys will remain as hungry as ever, and go back-to-back. I'd love to see Holmes and Menegola, who's been a great servant of the club, win a flag.

Only time will tell...
Yeah sorry I know my post seemed a bit inflammatory but was meant more as a discussion point on how we mould our perceptions after various types of seasons. I think we all had thoughts like yours a year ago, the sentiment has certainly changed. But it remains a lot easier to be defeatist after (repeated) finals failures than it is to be confident following triumph. I'm certainly not taking anything for granted in season 2023 as far as thinking Geelong are going to wipe the floor with everyone. But I do go in with a lot more hope than after that 2021 prelim!

If Geelong did it better why only 10flags in over 150 years, 4 off them in the past 15?
Still haven’t gone past Melbourne who have won 1 since the 60’s from a small group of gf attendances.
They are having a run like the bombers did under sheeds, will stop just like theirs did.
Are you old enough to at least remember the two Collingwood flags in the 50s very well? Because 2 flags in 64 years since is a tough run for a big club. As for what preceded my lifetime, it doesn't really hold any weight in my enjoyment as a supporter. So the 4 flags in 16 years sits comfortably. '63 doesn't hold too much personal significance. I guess it's nice to look in the record books? Or at least with GFs televised on colour television you can dig up.

I think we have the best 22 in the league but it's pretty close and with Selwood retiring, maybe not now.

I'm super confident that we have the best 30 though. We bat deeper than anyone, even if we are light on key position depth. Hopefully that can propel us to another flag but who knows.
Agree on ur top 30 being best.

Although ur vfl team had a low finish which is unusual.

The players that get "managed" don't play VFL so VFL is just the first and second year draftees basically and maybe the odd senior player coming back from injury.

Whoever gets to September next year with the list in best shape will win, there is nothing between half a dozen teams. Geelong only had Holmes unavailable for the GF this year so couldn't have asked for a better run really.

Agree on ur top 30 being best.

Good call. Is kind of weird in that way. We came to have a really strong 25-30 by the end of the year. But unusually weak for a flag winner after that. We are trying to get more experienced bodies into our VFL side.

Good call. Is kind of weird in that way. We came to have a really strong 25-30 by the end of the year. But unusually weak for a flag winner after that. We are trying to get more experienced bodies into our VFL side.
And just recruited Casey senior coach, Mark Corrigan, to coach VFL team. Another Geelong boy coming home

Are you old enough to at least remember the two Collingwood flags in the 50s very well? Because 2 flags in 64 years since is a tough run for a big club. As for what preceded my lifetime, it doesn't really hold any weight in my enjoyment as a supporter. So the 4 flags in 16 years sits comfortably. '63 doesn't hold too much personal significance. I guess it's nice to look in the record books? Or at least with GFs televised on colour television you can dig up.
The reference is to the gloating currently, being above everyone else etc.
There have been teams before this group that have done the same.
As for Collingwood, 2 flags is only 2 less than geelong through that period but have played in so many more grand finals than them.
Collingwood are there abouts always , cats will drop away again.
History is a great teacher

Takes an amazing operations boss to fix a game where a team gets 10 less free kicks than their opposition and win a prelim final by 12 goals. Powerful man indeed
Nicely dispatched to a basket case. Scott is someone else's problem now. I think your free ride is in a spot of bother.

The reference is to the gloating currently, being above everyone else etc.
There have been teams before this group that have done the same.
As for Collingwood, 2 flags is only 2 less than geelong through that period but have played in so many more grand finals than them.
Collingwood are there abouts always , cats will drop away again.
History is a great teacher
History is indeed a great teacher. It taught me that Collingwood had won 11 flags until 1936. If every club were doomed or blessed to perpetually repeat their history you would be on 33 flags by now. Melbourne won 12 flags up until 1964 and then nothing for 57 years. On the flipside, Hawthorn took 36 years to win their first flag and now they go at a rate of 2 decade. Any period of succes or failure isn't guaranteed to continue for any club.

Any given group of people running a club have the chance to create their own history. It's not governed by some predetermined fortune bestowed from the heavens.

Geelong are in the position they are in now because of their well run organisation. Does that mean we will go back to back? Not at all, but we are in the running.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes watch the wins dry up now that someone in one non-Geelong related office has moved to another one 😂😂😂
From what the entire world witnessed and the 90K at the ground in the QF, I have more chance of winning lotto than the cats having that much of sweet ride from the umpires ever again. But your probably right, there will be some other arseh*le in HQ that will be pulling the strings for the cats. Your right about the wins drying up, cats old as fk.

From what the entire world witnessed and the 90K at the ground in the QF, I have more chance of winning lotto than the cats having that much of sweet ride from the umpires ever again. But your probably right, there will be some other a-hole in HQ that will be pulling the strings for the cats. Your right about the wins drying up, cats old as fk.

Ah yes the 13-14 free kick count and the 50-50 decisions that ONLY ever went against Collingwood. I forgot 😂😂😂

Pissweak

History is indeed a great teacher. It taught me that Collingwood had won 11 flags until 1936. If every club were doomed or blessed to perpetually repeat their history you would be on 33 flags by now. Melbourne won 12 flags up until 1964 and then nothing for 57 years. On the flipside, Hawthorn took 36 years to win their first flag and now they go at a rate of 2 decade. Any period of succes or failure isn't guaranteed to continue for any club.

Any given group of people running a club have the chance to create their own history. It's not governed by some predetermined fortune bestowed from the heavens.

Geelong are in the position they are in now because of their well run organisation. Does that mean we will go back to back? Not at all, but we are in the running.

44 gf appearances is proof of a well run club over a long sample size! keep getting there will reap rewards eventually.
This year was a classic example, 1 goal in the qf decided who won the premiership.
The cats are on a high but it will pass as soon as scott leaves

From what the entire world witnessed and the 90K at the ground in the QF, I have more chance of winning lotto than the cats having that much of sweet ride from the umpires ever again. But your probably right, there will be some other a-hole in HQ that will be pulling the strings for the cats. Your right about the wins drying up, cats old as fk.

oh my... the delusion.

There were a few free kicks missed for Geelong too that game. Collingwood supporters just make more noise.

Geelong were the better team deal with it. Geelong got 13 frees you 14 and there were a few that were missed for both teams. Furthermore that was one of the best games of football ever because of the umpiring.

Now try being Sydney in a tight GRAND FINAL when the game is in the balance and there is a run of 16 free kicks to 2. Until that happens to you stop crying.

44 gf appearances is proof of a well run club over a long sample size! keep getting there will reap rewards eventually.
This year was a classic example, 1 goal in the qf decided who won the premiership.
The cats are on a high but it will pass as soon as scott leaves
You ignored the first part of my post. I agree, 44 gfs is absolutely proof of a well run club. However, the early part of the Pies history is where they were the most successful. Something changed. Nothing is a given.

'Keep getting there will reap rewards eventually" Hmmm sounds alot like Geelong. And since when is Scott leaving the catalyst for our slide down the ladder? He was a shit coach according to basically everyone up until this year. We are in a good place for a while yet. Doesn't mean it will last forever, same applies for any team.

Going to any Grand Final victory is more sentimental than watching a game on TV. Blows B2B out of the water and isn't even close. Seeing it in person, celebrating with the team. How many Grand Finals have you been to?

He's 13, cut him some slack mate

The only people who think prelims are the best are people who haven't been to Grand Finals. Nothing beats seeing your team win it in person. Maybe one day, when you're a bit older.

I agree with this. I suspect I’m a fair bit older than you, but I’ve been to 7 grand finals, 5 winning and 2 losing ones. I can confirm there is nothing like being there when your team wins. Total euphoria

We will be the first team in the AFL era to win 4 premierships in a row. Take it to the bank!!
I can live with anything that knocks Essendon off equal first on the premiership tally. All 16 flags should’ve been stripped after what they did. Why stop there? Even their VFA ones which don’t count anyway.

I may prefer Essendon to Hawthorn but I only respect the latter.

I don't see us going back to back unfortunately as the chips haven't landed in our favour this year. You need lots of things to go right to win a flag and that's not us in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back