Geelong - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

They do if there’s empirical evidence to suggest that someone else has been better in a particular aspect of their football.

When there are 8-9 midfielders receiving a certain honour every single year, and these two - and Prestia - between them have not been selected once, it suggests you aren’t bringing in Voss, Black and Lappin as you seem to be indicating.

I think they’ve all been in the 40 man squad and won B&Fs in GF years. We did more with less talent coming in, in 2017 and look what happened. For somebody who prides themselves on empirical evidence you sure don’t use it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Someone in here wrote Max Holmes is in our top 8 players already and they don’t support Geelong.

Do Geelong supporters believe this?

Not for me:

1. Cameron
  2. Hawkins
  3. Stewart
  4. Dangerfield
Clear top 4 for me.

5. Blicavs
6. Duncan
7. C.Guthrie
8. De Konning

We’ll above Holmes.

Debatable but arguably better players at this stage:
  • Smith
  • Stengle
  • Henry
  • Close
  • Atkins

Players I’d put below Holmes:
  • Kolodjashnij
  • Z.Gutgrie
  • Bews
  • Miers
  • Rohan
  • Stanley

Yeah, but not enough as we will be adding half a game of Prestia, Taranto, hopper and fully fit Dusty on top of that you’ve lost Selwood. We now have a better mid, and thus attack (we already are number one) especially with Dusty back. By having a better mid it helps in def as well, you guys are beyond cooked playing us. I bet any money you don’t beat us next season barring injuries and if we play at KP.

Love how all these are definite to make Richmond better but Dangerfield in and our additions won't make a difference at all. I'd be concerned about half a game of Prestia too as against us you were 6 goal a half better side without him. As usual what you say makes no sense.

And in no universe does Richmond currently have a better attack than Geelong.

Last edited:
So having Dangerfield added to the side that beat Richmond doesn’t make any difference?
Danger is cooked, an old man!
On limited time and now no sniping duckwood
Get real, the tiges just added 2x mid 20 ye old midfielders,they will eat you alive

Yeah, but not enough as we will be adding half a game of Prestia, Taranto, hopper and fully fit Dusty on top of that you’ve lost Selwood. We now have a better mid, and thus attack (we already are number one) especially with Dusty back. By having a better mid it helps in def as well, you guys are beyond cooked playing us. I bet any money you don’t beat us next season barring injuries and if we play at KP.

I’d take that bet and I think both our midfield and forward line are better than the paper Tigers. Richmond might have acquired some big names but IMO they’ll find out pretty quickly the list has deficiencies and lacks balance.

You’ve added some more ball winners but you still have the same issue, none of your mids like to tackle. Atkins averaged 8.6 tackles per game over the finals, that guy allows Danger to focus on hunting the ball. Whose doing that for you guys?

Your ruck combination is so bad that half the time you just play one. Geelong have an All Australian 2nd ruck/midfielder, a unicorn in the AFL.

And yeah, you’ve got two great KPP’s but they’re a poor fit. Jack Reiwoldt is forced up the ground to accomodate Lynch and has half the output as a consequence. Geelong on the other hand, Cameron is at his best up the ground, while Hawkins is clearly best out of the goal square, they go together like a meat pie and sauce.

The cats are gonna steam roll Richmond as they re-earn the Ninthmond moniker. And when the fans wonder why, you can tell them….TEAM BALANCE.

Last edited:
Get real, the tiges just added 2x mid 20 ye old midfielders,they will eat you alive
Oh look another flog brain on an alt account for when they get banned. We've been seeing and hearing this most of the last decade dipsh!t. Not fallen off a cliff yet and not about too. Just because salty clowns want it to happen doesn't mean it will.

Danger is cooked for sure. He must be sitting in a pot somewhere marinated by his 2022 Premiership and Gary Ayres medals.

And yep, Joel’s gone so one of Bruhn, Bowes, Parfitt, pick 7 or someone be else will need to fill his position on the field. But rest assured, someone will because while the man is gone his legacy remains. The cats culture is the envy of the AFL. 💪

I think they’ve all been in the 40 man squad and won B&Fs in GF years. We did more with less talent coming in, in 2017 and look what happened. For somebody who prides themselves on empirical evidence you sure don’t use it.

I believe that should read:

“we did more with top 5 and priority picks coming in. By 2017 when they’d matured, and other clubs lists development had stalled due to expansion clubs watering down drafts since 2010, look what happened.”

I really doubt they'll go back-to-back. I have as many reasons to say they won't as I do to say they will. At the end of the day, it'll come down to their hunger, and luck in being able to keep the list healthy.

I really doubt they'll go back-to-back. I have as many reasons to say they won't as I do to say they will. At the end of the day, it'll come down to their hunger, and luck in being able to keep the list healthy.
You had so much more conviction that Scott needed to go and Cats were no chance of success following the 2021 prelim drubbing.

But after complete dominance in 2022, you are still not confident.

Seems like your agenda is rigged towards one direction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You had so much more conviction that Scott needed to go and Cats were no chance of success following the 2021 prelim drubbing.

But after complete dominance in 2022, you are still not confident.

Seems like your agenda is rigged towards one direction.
Agenda? What are you on about?

Conviction that Scott needed to go?

Are you confusing me with another poster?

Agenda? What are you on about?

Conviction that Scott needed to go?

Are you confusing me with another poster?
I seemed to remember you ranting and raving a bit last season. Anyway looking again:

"It is time for a clean-out. Selwood needs to relinquish the captaincy. Scott has to go as well. I've been proud of this club for so long, and we've seen so much success.

However, it is clear that we're too old and the game plan just doesn't stand up in finals. We only beat GWS because they were decimated by injuries. Whatever, we're done."

Which is fine, I was just wondering how a bad finals series leads to such negative expectations but a flag still leads to a lack of confidence.

I seemed to remember you ranting and raving a bit last season. Anyway looking again:

"It is time for a clean-out. Selwood needs to relinquish the captaincy. Scott has to go as well. I've been proud of this club for so long, and we've seen so much success.

However, it is clear that we're too old and the game plan just doesn't stand up in finals. We only beat GWS because they were decimated by injuries. Whatever, we're done."

Which is fine, I was just wondering how a bad finals series leads to such negative expectations but a flag still leads to a lack of confidence.
I'm not without peer when it came to conveying frustration after the horrendous performance in the Preliminary Final last year.

I'd like to think that I'm a level-headed person, but in saying that, I'm not immune to getting frustrated with repeated final failures.

If you look over my posting history, I doubt you'll find a history of "ranting and raving" about Chris Scott and the team in general.

The post in question is an outlier, and was written, as mentioned before, in the heat of the moment after a terrible loss.

I am glad to say that, in the heat of the moment, my assessment of Geelong at the time of that loss was proven to be wrong 12 months later.

As for my current belief of Geelong's chances next year; the club is as good a chance to go back-to-back as it ever has been.

However, I recall season 2008, where I was supremely confident that we'd go back-to-back, yet we all know how that turned out.

Melbourne supporters would have been as equally confident before the start of the season and even more so after round 10. It all went downhill from there.

Things change quickly in footy; there's no way to predict who will rise next season, and how hungry the side will be for more success.

I hope like anything that the boys will remain as hungry as ever, and go back-to-back. I'd love to see Holmes and Menegola, who's been a great servant of the club, win a flag.

Only time will tell...

Oh look another flog brain on an alt account for when they get banned. We've been seeing and hearing this most of the last decade dipsh!t. Not fallen off a cliff yet and not about too. Just because salty clowns want it to happen doesn't mean it will.
I must be right, you reacted on a totally personal level- CLINT

Danger is cooked for sure. He must be sitting in a pot somewhere marinated by his 2022 Premiership and Gary Ayres medals.

And yep, Joel’s gone so one of Bruhn, Bowes, Parfitt, pick 7 or someone be else will need to fill his position on the field. But rest assured, someone will because while the man is gone his legacy remains. The cats culture is the envy of the AFL. 💪
But duckwood was a god only a month ago
How are those names going to replace him?
You saying a bloke who couldn’t get a game at Gold Coast will 🤣
Stupid stupid stupid

But duckwood was a god only a month ago
How are those names going to replace him?
You saying a bloke who couldn’t get a game at Gold Coast will 🤣
Stupid stupid stupid
It’s crazy isn’t. He’s been sensational and should leave a massive irreparable hole in the side. But Geelong has defied the odds too many times to doubt.

Nobody thought Stengle, delisted from Richmond, could help either. 12 months at Geelong he’s a All Australian. Isaac Smith was “cooked” two years ago, now he’s a Norm Smith medalist. At what point does a Grumpy Old Man just accept the world isn’t fair and doesn’t always make sense? Geelong simply does it better.

It’s crazy isn’t. He’s been sensational and should leave a massive irreparable hole in the side. But Geelong has defied the odds too many times to doubt.

Nobody thought Stengle, delisted from Richmond, could help either. 12 months at Geelong he’s a All Australian. Isaac Smith was “cooked” two years ago, now he’s a Norm Smith medalist. At what point does a Grumpy Old Man just accept the world isn’t fair and doesn’t always make sense? Geelong simply does it better.
If Geelong did it better why only 10flags in over 150 years, 4 off them in the past 15?
Still haven’t gone past Melbourne who have won 1 since the 60’s from a small group of gf attendances.
They are having a run like the bombers did under sheeds, will stop just like theirs did.

If Geelong did it better why only 10flags in over 150 years, 4 off them in the past 15?
Still haven’t gone past Melbourne who have won 1 since the 60’s from a small group of gf attendances.
They are having a run like the bombers did under sheeds, will stop just like theirs did.

The Geelong now isn’t the same Geelong as the last 150 years. No doubt the streak of finals and premiership contention comes to an end. But 18 wins in a row and two 70+ point wins in the elimination finals doesn’t point to the beginning of a decline, even with one best 22 player retiring.

Who th2
Not for me:

1. Cameron
  2. Hawkins
  3. Stewart
  4. Dangerfield
Clear top 4 for me.

5. Blicavs
6. Duncan
7. C.Guthrie
8. De Konning

We’ll above Holmes.

Debatable but arguably better players at this stage:
  • Smith
  • Stengle
  • Henry
  • Close
  • Atkins

Players I’d put below Holmes:
  • Kolodjashnij
  • Z.Gutgrie
  • Bews
  • Miers
  • Rohan
  • Stanley
Stengle just finished 5th in B and F and made AA team. Clearly ahead of Holmes and not arguable.

Henry and Smith also clearly ahead at this stage.

This may change in the future but not yet.

What does stuff that happened before our current players were born have to do with how good we have done it across the current generation?

‘Oh well we thought about trying to follow Geelong’s model but then realised that in the era before the internet when none of the current players or staff were either born, or employed by the club, what they did wasn’t working so we thought we’d steer clear of it.’

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong - back to back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back