F1 F1 2024 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

does anyone really care, i wonder.

Will watch it once it's out but not exactly counting down the days...

Will watch it once it's out but not exactly counting down the days...

Rush pleasantly surprised me.

Brad Pitt rarely stars in stinkers (in my view).

But yeah, not really counting it down. Awaiting with cautious trepidation.

I love F1, i tend to like Brad Pitt so i am kinda keen. I am also pretty easy to please when it comes to movies, it would have to be awful for me to hate it. Give me anything resembling a half decent F1 movie and i will be entertained, anything more would just be a bonus.

Any idea what the plot or focus is going to be

Is it focusing on the driver and the F1 lifestyle, or the organisation component of a team ? Is it telling the story of a Brawn GP type rise against the odds ?
My guess is the story will be heavily focused on the relationship between Pitt's and Idris' characters. Veteran driver joined by young upstart kinda thing.

My guess is the story will be heavily focused on the relationship between Pitt's and Idris' characters. Veteran driver joined by young upstart kinda thing.

Complete fictionalisation - Haven't looked at it at all - wonder how close I'll end up.

Successful team, now near back of field signs stupid good young talent who dominated junior category. (McLaren/Norris - Alonso?).

Brash young talent (good looking, charismatic movie star in flash clothes) is incredibly fast, but keeps crashing out, or breaking the car. The team slides back in the field and faces financial pressure from sponsors. Team owner "makes a call" to his former driver and good friend, The Veteran - a former multiple world-champion dragged out of early retirement (due to horrible crash/injury?), to support the young star. The veteran's comfortable - ruggedly handsome, but at home in Jeans and a T-shirt, hardly runway material.

Veteran tries to teach the youngster what he knows - something basic that every racing fan knows (slipstream, wider radius to carry more speed, switchback on exit, etc - Something the audience just understands intuitively). Youngster ignores him -thinks he knows better - and makes the same mistakes in the next race.

Meanwhile the Veteran starts accumulating solid points without ever threatening the top teams. Veteran is "slow" but consistent - he faces his own demons (about his previous career-ending crash?) and can't commit (overtaking? something visually obvious).

Youngster has a controversial off-field moment, caught out doing the wrong thing in public - the Veteran comes to the rescue (having secretly gone through similar in his youth). Coincidentally, solution to the issue is an analogy for the racing strategy above. Youngster and Veteran have a bonding moment.

Next race, Veteran is in 2nd ahead of the Youngster - lets him through to attack the leader - youngster faces the same issue/tactic as before - this time remembers veterans' words (saccharine voice-over, or maybe a flashback) - and in slow motion executes the Veteran's tactic, this simple trick guaranteeing him the win as he takes the lead.

Veteran is cruising home in 3rd, before facing one last opportunity (slipstream/overtake/whatever his demon was) - and takes it to cross the line in 2nd.

The YoungStar goes on to win the race; Whilst the media and lights focus on the charismatic YoungStar, the Veteran sneaks off side stage - sharing a knowing glance and wink/smile/wave with the owner as he exits out the side door back into retirement.

Post credits shot (12m later) shows The Veteran, relaxing at home watching a tiny TV in some "beige" location - as YoungStar wins the World Championship, and personally thanks "The Veteran".

Last edited:
Complete fictionalisation - Haven't looked at it at all - wonder how close I'll end up.

Successful team, now near back of field signs stupid good young talent who dominated junior category. (McLaren/Norris - Alonso?).

Brash young talent (good looking, charismatic movie star in flash clothes) is incredibly fast, but keeps crashing out, or breaking the car. The team slides back in the field and faces financial pressure from sponsors. Team owner "makes a call" to his former driver and good friend, The Veteran - a former multiple world-champion dragged out of early retirement (due to horrible crash/injury?), to support the young star. The veteran's comfortable - ruggedly handsome, but at home in Jeans and a T-shirt, hardly runway material.

Veteran tries to teach the youngster what he knows - something basic that every racing fan knows (slipstream, wider radius to carry more speed, switchback on exit, etc - Something the audience just understands intuitively). Youngster ignores him -thinks he knows better - and makes the same mistakes in the next race.

Meanwhile the Veteran starts accumulating solid points without ever threatening the top teams. Veteran is "slow" but consistent - he faces his own demons (about his previous career-ending crash?) and can't commit (overtaking? something visually obvious).

Youngster has a controversial off-field moment, caught out doing the wrong thing in public - the Veteran comes to the rescue (having secretly gone through similar in his youth). Coincidentally, solution to the issue is an analogy for the racing strategy above. Youngster and Veteran have a bonding moment.

Next race, Veteran is in 2nd ahead of the Youngster - lets him through to attack the leader - youngster faces the same issue/tactic as before - this time remembers veterans' words (saccharine voice-over, or maybe a flashback) - and in slow motion executes the Veteran's tactic, this simple trick guaranteeing him the win as he takes the lead.

Veteran is cruising home in 3rd, before facing one last opportunity (slipstream/overtake/whatever his demon was) - and takes it to cross the line in 2nd.

The YoungStar goes on to win the race; Whilst the media and lights focus on the charismatic YoungStar, the Veteran sneaks off side stage - sharing a knowing glance and wink/smile/wave as he exits out the side door back into retirement.

Post credits shot (12m later) shows The Veteran, relaxing at home watching a tiny TV in some "beige" location - as YoungStar wins the World Championship, and personally thanks "The Veteran".
Why did my mind go to Top Gun when I read this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A massively successful, but derivative retelling of a fable from the sands of time?

Hollywood is many things, but creative or original - not so much.
They could go all in on the clichés, and have the Veteran be the Rising Star's father, which he reveals at some random point for motivational reasons. The Veteran could even chop off the Rising Star's hand whilst doing the reveal... wait, wrong genre.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back