Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is the line drawn then?

I can't see how that's not pre-determining, ie tampering with, the draft order.
Didn't they crack down pretty hard on exactly this sort of stuff (admittedly PSD rather than ND) after the Lochlan Veale deal?

How do you enforce it? Where players are drafted is opinion, of which varies a lot without any external influence. The AFL admin team have stuff all idea about most draft values anyway and if you were working out a deal with people in the draft, they can only slide one team.....usually 1 spot. Not really a slide at all.

Terribly hard to enforce, harder to prove without a direct paper trail.

There's usually an 'understanding' with teams not to draft players teams will re-rookie...that's tampering too, but....you know.

How do you enforce it? Where players are drafted is opinion, of which varies a lot without any external influence. The AFL admin team have stuff all idea about most draft values anyway and if you were working out a deal with people in the draft, they can only slide one team.....usually 1 spot. Not really a slide at all.

Terribly hard to enforce, harder to prove without a direct paper trail.

There's usually an 'understanding' with teams not to draft players teams will re-rookie...that's tampering too, but....you know.
All true, but doesn't mean it's not tampering - just no-one will be caught/punished. Yet another grey area.

Oh of course, it's definately tampering, it's an alteration of what would happen if nothing were done....ironically may not even effect the draft, but it is tampering, just basically impossible to police.

It would happen with a lot of things I imagine.

GWS conspiring with P.A to let a player slide to their pick is not tampering with the draft? How?

It is done just about every year (Mostly with the top 10 picks).
Some clubs inform each other who they intend to pick.
Rumor is GWS has already informed Brisbane and Port of their top five picks. It is their other picks that they are still struggling to place.

Having a discussion of who you intend to pick or even agreeing not to pick a player is is almost impossible to prove draft tampering.

WC to potentially take Murray Newman with Pick 23 or 28

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/sport/11664825/eagle-eye-on-young-swan-newman/

Hopefully our version of Rioli, if he's half as good he'll be a gun.

Rioli over his career ave about 20 games per season with an ave. of 16 possies, 4 tackles and a goal per game.

So ave. 10 games a year (Half of Rioli) with and ave. of 8 possies and 2 tackles a game (Half of Rioli) with a total of 5 goals for the season (Ave. half of Rioli over half as many games) = A gun?

All a little tongue in cheek obviously but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Reminds me so much of a left footed Garlett, doesnt shirk a contest, loves to tackle and win the hard ball, has great vision can kick of the outside off his left foot and is a good finisher. Penetration in his kick and endurance needs to be worked on plus size. Which i guess all come with a few preseasons at an AFL club, if he can get stronger in his legs than he can kick further, preseasons naturally get you fitter and bigger.

Could be a real gun, well as good as Nahas and Garlett IMO who are almost AA small forwards not far off.

Reminds me so much of a left footed Garlett, doesnt shirk a contest, loves to tackle and win the hard ball, has great vision can kick of the outside off his left foot and is a good finisher. Penetration in his kick and endurance needs to be worked on plus size. Which i guess all come with a few preseasons at an AFL club, if he can get stronger in his legs than he can kick further, preseasons naturally get you fitter and bigger.

Could be a real gun, well as good as Nahas and Garlett IMO who are almost AA small forwards not far off.

Reminds me a lot of Gartlett as well, probably bit more of a contested player. Get some core strength, bigger legs and he'll be a tackle breaking machine. Kerr-like?

Reminds me a lot of Gartlett as well, probably bit more of a contested player. Get some core strength, bigger legs and he'll be a tackle breaking machine. Kerr-like?

Its interesting the eagles dont delist another by tomorrow, maybe Newman could have been a chance to get to there 3rd pick whatever it may be 63 (just looked that up, he probably wont last till than) or something. Maybe Trunbridge would?

Newman will be gone by 63 IMO. Hawthorn are a team who would love a player like him even moreso he's a silky left footer.

Don't think we'll be delisting anyone else as we even signed up Dalziell for another a year (mindblown). It's a shame as I would have loved to draft someone like Horsley or Gilligan at 63 if available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think we'll be delisting anyone else as we even signed up Dalziell for another a year (mindblown).

Saving delistings for next year's draft? I've got the feeling a few clubs are doing that.

Rioli over his career ave about 20 games per season with an ave. of 16 possies, 4 tackles and a goal per game.

So ave. 10 games a year (Half of Rioli) with and ave. of 8 possies and 2 tackles a game (Half of Rioli) with a total of 5 goals for the season (Ave. half of Rioli over half as many games) = A gun?

All a little tongue in cheek obviously but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

If he was half as good over half as many games wouldn't that make him 1/4 as good?

If he was half as good over half as many games wouldn't that make him 1/4 as good?

Rioli goes at about 1 goal per game and plays about 20 games per season.

Half as many goals per game = .5
Half as many games = 10

10 games x .5 goals = 5 goals.

While that does work out to be 1/4 the math is a little different. I simply halved each stat.

Nothing serious though. Just in a pi$$ taking mood :D

Hey guys this is my first time posting on bigfooty, was just wondering if anyone has heard anything on richmonds draft plans? would be much appreciated ;)

Welcome to Bigfooty. I'd be guessing you guys would look to add to your midfield depth with pick 15. Might be worth heading to the Richmond board and ask you question in their draft thread.

From The West

Fremantle have Kersten in their sights at 16 but both Brisbane and Richmond have him amongst a group of players for picks 12 & 15 .

South Fremantle key defender Josh Bootsma and Perth Key Forward Fraser McInnes are also believed to be part of the clubs recruiting strategy at pick 20 .

West Coast have picks 23 & 28 are also interested in McInnes . Uncles Rob Wiley and Michael Brennan both played for the club .

Victorian midfielder Taylor Adams is also being spoken of as a potential Docker .

Also in the article it is believed the Giants will not draft Wingard in the top 5 ( leaving for Port ) and Adam Tomlinson is unlikely to go to the Giants in the Top 10 , instead going to Brisbane at 12 .

From The West

Also in the article it is believed the Giants will not draft Wingard in the top 5 ( leaving for Port ) and Adam Tomlinson is unlikely to go to the Giants in the Top 10 , instead going to Brisbane at 12 .

No chance Tomlinson makes it to pick 12.

No chance Tomlinson makes it to pick 12.

The West Again

There is a strong belief that the Giants will overlook SA Chad Wingard with their first five selections , allowing the midfielder to join Port Adelaide at six .

Key Forward Adam Tomlinson is the other top 10 pick unlikely to join the Giants , He is expected to go to Brisbane .

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back