Universal Love Dane Swan inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

Love Swanny, but his whole "I hated training, loved partying" is a bit overdone. You don't play 258 games, including 8 straight seasons of 20+ games, without doing a power of work.
I vaguely recall some Nick Maxwell anecdote (could be wrong) where he was astonished by Swan's commitment to conditioning work. Always in the gym.

When you think about the way he played, it is pretty obvious that he worked bloody hard. He was quick over short distances, incredibly strong, and got to contest after contest all day, often whilst being looked at by the Cameron Ling's of the world.

legend of a player and bloke. Not meaning to have a shot at the club but you could see how tight the group was during a dominant era 2010, 2011 where the coach was loved. Baffling that we messed with this.

Haven’t a fair few players that have trained with him said he’s the hardest trainer they’ve trained with?
I vaguely recall something along those lines. It had to be the case. Even now, he looks to be in very good shape. You don't have visible veins on the side of your scone(subtemporal The Royal Sampler ?) unless you are pretty lean.

Can't believe a Collingwood player got inducted when there are still as many as 3 or 4 Carlton players from the mid 70s to early 80s who aren't in there yet.

On an unrelated note, this year David Parkin was finally ousted as head of the selection committee.

Swan was one out of the box. An unusual (for modern footballers) form of athleticism, combined with extraordinary footy IQ and drive. And a personality which - luckily for him - won over grumpy old Mick. Throw in the innovation of running him off the bench is short bursts, to effect maximum damage - and we have a Brownlow medalist, multiple AAs, and a flag. He was the right kind of footballer just when we needed him most, and a beautiful complement to the silk of Pendles and the dazzling skills of Daisy.

The honour is well deserved, and his character is sorely missed in modern footy.

I vaguely recall something along those lines. It had to be the case. Even now, he looks to be in very good shape. You don't have visible veins on the side of your scone(subtemporal The Royal Sampler ?) unless you are pretty lean.

Superficial temporal vein, and branches thereof mostly. Subtemporal vein is above and behind the ear and wouldn’t normally be as visible.

Close enough. But that probably wouldn't cut it if I was performing a medical procedure.

Now I’m looking at an atlas and it doesn’t have the subtemporal vein listed at all, so it might be one of those cases where a vein has multiple names.

The ones you can see pulsing in people’s temples, would normally be the frontal branches of the superficial temporal vein though.

Can't believe a Collingwood player got inducted when there are still as many as 3 or 4 Carlton players from the mid 70s to early 80s who aren't in there yet.

Something Swanny provides is an inspirational story for people who have had a rocky start. He’s the ultimate story of redemption.

Absolutely unstoppable in his prime. Shame injuries forced him to retire early, I was certain he was going to finish his career as a 40+ goal forward.

I was hoping for the same - cause I thought how is anyone gunna match up on him in a forward pocket ?
He’s quick off the mark, he’s a great over head mark and he can snag a goal from anywhere.
Just a shocking injury he copped to end his AFL career. Still running around in the bush now and having fun though 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back