List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
Why would King Nissie I go on record saying we will not ask for a priority pick? Probably because we do not deserve it yet (having been premiers 5 years ago) and because he knows that the AFL do not see us as a priority.

Why am I am so cynical? Rough breakdown on financial strength of clubs
  • 9 clubs who represent the cash cows
  • 7 who are clubs that appear to be needing a long term propping up (5 of which are based in Melbourne and there are 4 clubs too many there but merging is too hard to manage)
  • 2 expanding teams that look like they will need be 50 funding year plans, not the original 20 year funding plans.

Here are the estimated AFL distributions by club for 2023 and which club has received priority picks in the last decade:

1689214108308.png

The receiving of academy help is a massive bonus as the 4 northern clubs get to use match the top end talent they develop. In the case of the Suns, taking the NGA's directly to their list was a massive help.

Of the cash cows, Carlton last got a priority pick in 2018. I suspect the AFL felt Carlton got whacked hard for the salary breach and it has had a longer than expected impact. The AFL are concerned because it had impacted attendances - average attendances for the Blues dropped from 50,000 in the late 2000's to mid 30,000's in the mid 2010's.

When the big 4 in Melbourne are up, attendances are up. That means the AFL get more money. By big 4 - I mean Pies, Blues, Dons and Tigers. So it is in the AFL best interest to help the Blues. To also be fair, the priority picks to Carlton in 2018 were modest.

We have been crap for 2 seasons now. Yet we continue to sell our full quota of memberships and have a wait list for seats. I am not sure if we have to pay the AFL for ticket sales based on people attending or seated memberships sold. I assume it is on seats sold via memberships plus marginal sales otherwise the AFL would be missing out on their share of 15,000 to 20,000 who are not attending each week. We made a profit in 2021 and 2022 and we have $67 million sitting in cash and financial investments (ie near cash). Until it impacts the AFL, I cannot see them helping us in 2023. If it starts impacting TV deals and their share of gate takings in 2024 and the sports betting "partners" complaining on how it impacts their setting of odds, then maybe we can ask.

The views on Gaff here are frankly astounding.

He had a bad game on the weekend and he's been down this season but not as significantly as many are making out.

Most of the time here people are putting him up as being expected to replicate the games of Luke Shuey.

Speed, long kicking and dynamic ball movement were never his one-wood in 268 games.

He was a gut runner whose value was getting an extra player to more contests than the opposition. He was an accumulator who would be the link in kick, mark, kick plays. He was outside the contest. He provided an extra defensive block due to position.

None of the reasons people are giving for their criticism align with his strengths falling away. It's because in his 13th season he is not able to replace Luke Shuey's game style (when Shuey is missing every 2nd week).

Again, this game style was never his one wood.

He's an easy target because he's on the park. I bet he'd be loving to be running rehab laps out of the spotlight like others. Hell, he'd probably get the "wait until Gaff gets back, give him another year" talk like so many others do.
Oh My God What GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

1. Hes a momentum killer
  2. Lucky to get 200m gained a game
  3. Team mates actively avoid giving the ball to him like the plague
  4. Hes played out of position because teams go through his player
  5. Has become as slow as dick treakle
  6. Has to go at the end of the year

Why would King Nissie I go on record saying we will not ask for a priority pick? Probably because we do not deserve it yet (having been premiers 5 years ago) and because he knows that the AFL do not see us as a priority.

Why am I am so cynical? Rough breakdown on financial strength of clubs
  • 9 clubs who represent the cash cows
  • 7 who are clubs that appear to be needing a long term propping up (5 of which are based in Melbourne and there are 4 clubs too many there but merging is too hard to manage)
  • 2 expanding teams that look like they will need be 50 funding year plans, not the original 20 year funding plans.

Here are the estimated AFL distributions by club for 2023 and which club has received priority picks in the last decade:

View attachment 1736962

The receiving of academy help is a massive bonus as the 4 northern clubs get to use match the top end talent they develop. In the case of the Suns, taking the NGA's directly to their list was a massive help.

Of the cash cows, Carlton last got a priority pick in 2018. I suspect the AFL felt Carlton got whacked hard for the salary breach and it has had a longer than expected impact. The AFL are concerned because it had impacted attendances - average attendances for the Blues dropped from 50,000 in the late 2000's to mid 30,000's in the mid 2010's.

When the big 4 in Melbourne are up, attendances are up. That means the AFL get more money. By big 4 - I mean Pies, Blues, Dons and Tigers. So it is in the AFL best interest to help the Blues. To also be fair, the priority picks to Carlton in 2018 were modest.

We have been crap for 2 seasons now. Yet we continue to sell our full quota of memberships and have a wait list for seats. I am not sure if we have to pay the AFL for ticket sales based on people attending or seated memberships sold. I assume it is on seats sold via memberships plus marginal sales otherwise the AFL would be missing out on their share of 15,000 to 20,000 who are not attending each week. We made a profit in 2021 and 2022 and we have $67 million sitting in cash and financial investments (ie near cash). Until it impacts the AFL, I cannot see them helping us in 2023. If it starts impacting TV deals and their share of gate takings in 2024 and the sports betting "partners" complaining on how it impacts their setting of odds, then maybe we can ask.
Stuff is said on record all the time..
Dew went a week after they went on record saying he'd stay

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So if Gaff gets 20+ this week, are teammates still ignoring him due to their attitude that he has past it?

I think you need to look deeper at what is happening with Andrew. It's not just about how often he touches the ball but the quality of the disposals.

Disposals per game 18.7 (lowest since 2011)
Contested possessions 5.3 (lowest since 2011)
Uncontested possessions 13.6 (lowest since 2011)
Ground ball gets 4.2 (lowest since 2011)
Inside 50's 1.8 (lowest in career)
kicking efficiency 52.1% (lowest in career)
Effective disposals 13.5 (lowest in career)
Total Clearances 1.6 (lowest since 2013 by .1 if he drops .1 then lowest since 2011)

He's also only averaging 199.4 metres gained per game in 2023.

Now he wouldn't be the only player down on form and statistics this year but what i think the main issue is that he has fallen off in almost every relevant statistic his role would be measured on. As an outside runner and link up player the contested, ground ball gets and clearances wouldn't be so glaring but considering he's been playing on ball a fair bit this year and those numbers are still career lows in comparison to when he was a two way runner indicates that Gaffy has run his race and the game has caught up to him.

He doesn't deserve the vitriol he gets on here. Andrew signed a contract for under market value back in 2018 (An AA year) when his father was sick. No one could have begrudged him if he chose to bugger off for the money or his family but he stayed loyal and deserves our respect and admiration. He's been a loyal servant of the club, B&F winner, two time AA and currently sits 6th all time on games played.

In saying that I don't think anyone saw the decline in his game happening so rapidly and time waits for no man. I'd ideally like to be able to send Gaff off in a farewell game where we remember how great he's been for the club rather than watch him decline even further next year but if he chooses not to retire then he should be told as gracefully as possible that youth will be prioritized next year and that his form does not warrant automatic selection anymore. If he is happy to go on one more year as a mentor we'd like that but he may be spending a fair amount of time in the WAFL unless he can recapture some of his past form.

Club Champion and 2x AA in a position on the wing that often isn't rewarded by the selectors. At his peak (which coincides with our peak) he was the best pure wingman in the comp.

Someone as outside as Gaff will always struggle in a poor team, and we've been beyond poor for two and a half years now. The game has passed him by (for multiple reasons, age, game plan evolution etc).

I hope he retires if we can afford the payout, but I'll still have him as the second best wingman we've ever had (behind Matera who is arguably our best ever player full stop). Been loyal as well. Gotta respect that. I want him to retire a one club player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep someone said it yesterday.
I can't be bothered going back to look for it.

I said if the club told Gaff he wouldn’t be selected for AFL in 2024, he could sue them.

That’s what you saw.

Then there were several pages of posts about how that wasn’t the same thing as him suing for not being picked.

I think you need to look deeper at what is happening with Andrew. It's not just about how often he touches the ball but the quality of the disposals.

Disposals per game 18.7 (lowest since 2011)
Contested possessions 5.3 (lowest since 2011)
Uncontested possessions 13.6 (lowest since 2011)
Ground ball gets 4.2 (lowest since 2011)
Inside 50's 1.8 (lowest in career)
kicking efficiency 52.1% (lowest in career)
Effective disposals 13.5 (lowest in career)
Total Clearances 1.6 (lowest since 2013 by .1 if he drops .1 then lowest since 2011)

He's also only averaging 199.4 metres gained per game in 2023.

Now he wouldn't be the only player down on form and statistics this year but what i think the main issue is that he has fallen off in almost every relevant statistic his role would be measured on. As an outside runner and link up player the contested, ground ball gets and clearances wouldn't be so glaring but considering he's been playing on ball a fair bit this year and those numbers are still career lows in comparison to when he was a two way runner indicates that Gaffy has run his race and the game has caught up to him.

He doesn't deserve the vitriol he gets on here. Andrew signed a contract for under market value back in 2018 (An AA year) when his father was sick. No one could have begrudged him if he chose to bugger off for the money or his family but he stayed loyal and deserves our respect and admiration. He's been a loyal servant of the club, B&F winner, two time AA and currently sits 6th all time on games played.

In saying that I don't think anyone saw the decline in his game happening so rapidly and time waits for no man. I'd ideally like to be able to send Gaff off in a farewell game where we remember how great he's been for the club rather than watch him decline even further next year but if he chooses not to retire then he should be told as gracefully as possible that youth will be prioritized next year and that his form does not warrant automatic selection anymore. If he is happy to go on one more year as a mentor we'd like that but he may be spending a fair amount of time in the WAFL unless he can recapture some of his past form.

Yes, everything is down. That is clear. It's the why for me?

Many are saying "father time, too old, one year too many etc".

He was capable of 300m gained average in first 6 rounds, 25 touches.

I think much of the drop off in the last 10 rounds has been due to the lack of consistent experience in the middle (Shuey, Yeo, Sheed in particular).

Replacing these guys with kids has seen less outside ball for Gaff.

If we had reliable starters in the middle his year would be different.

I think Gaffs body is cooked. The older cooked players generally play ok in the early rounds while their body is fresh and fade as the year goes on. He's aged a couple of years earlier than the norm.

I think Gaffs body is cooked. The older cooked players generally play ok in the early rounds while their body is fresh and fade as the year goes on. He's aged a couple of years earlier than the norm.
Wonder if he only played as much as Shuey or Yeo or Gov whether he’d have more spring in his step? Nah probably not.

I said if the club told Gaff he wouldn’t be selected for AFL in 2024, he could sue them.

That’s what you saw.

Then there were several pages of posts about how that wasn’t the same thing as him suing for not being picked.
Too late now. You've dug a hole you can't get out of. It's the same thing as saying Gaff not playing he could sue AFL.
Also he could never sue and actually win. He could try but it a be waste of his own time. Technically anyone can sue anyone for anything really. Seen a lot of dumb court cases so not saying he couldn't if he wanted to. It probably just go after the guy who sued the weather man for getting the weather wrong.

But his playing in a elite sport. Eagles would never say that directly and if Gaff turns it around with solid WAFL form they wouldn't not promote him. A club can refuse any player of playing if it's for the benefit of the club. No player is a automatic selection. That's what coaches and match committee are for. Picking the best side. Gaff wouldn't be playing if they don't want him in the best 22 and nothing can be done about it. Regardless it's a dumb thing to say when we are talking about elite sports. I'm sorry but just admit it and we can move on. You said something dumb. Its ok too by the way. I have plenty of times. We all do from time to time. Nothing wrong with it. You need admit it and to move on from it.

Too late now. You've dug a hole you can't get out of. It's the same thing as saying Gaff not playing he could sue AFL.

It’s not, and there’s already pages of discussion about why it’s not.

And you’re not going to bother going back to see what I said, but you’re quite happy to tell me what you think I said? Nice try.

Yes, everything is down. That is clear. It's the why for me?

Many are saying "father time, too old, one year too many etc".

He was capable of 300m gained average in first 6 rounds, 25 touches.

I think much of the drop off in the last 10 rounds has been due to the lack of consistent experience in the middle (Shuey, Yeo, Sheed in particular).

Replacing these guys with kids has seen less outside ball for Gaff.

If we had reliable starters in the middle his year would be different.

He could be carrying an injury, i suspect quite a few are and we don't know but regardless of that decline has been steady over the past few years and his role in the team should not be guaranteed moving forward. No ones role should be.

Also he could never sue and actually win. He could try but it a be waste of his own time. Technically anyone can sue anyone for anything really. Seen a lot of dumb court cases so not saying he couldn't if he wanted to. It probably just go after the guy who sued the weather man for getting the weather wrong.

But his playing in a elite sport. Eagles would never say that directly and if Gaff turns it around with solid WAFL form they wouldn't not promote him. A club can refuse any player of playing if it's for the benefit of the club. No player is a automatic selection. That's what coaches and match committee are for. Picking the best side. Gaff wouldn't be playing if they don't want him in the best 22 and nothing can be done about it. Regardless it's a dumb thing to say when we are talking about elite sports. I'm sorry but just admit it and we can move on. You said something dumb. Its ok too by the way. I have plenty of times. We all do from time to time. Nothing wrong with it. You need admit it and to move on from it.
If you're too thick to understand a basic point, that's your own problem, not Fivey's.

I do ask both of you to put this to bed though, it's pretty tedious.

If you're too thick to understand a basic point, that's your own problem, not Fivey's.

I do ask both of you to put this to bed though, it's pretty tedious.
What are you Miguels alias account. Keep digging the hole. It's a dumb suggestion and thing to say. Deal with it. Not in any world could Gaff ever sue and win if Eagles decide they don't want him in the best 22. It's not his choice. Gaff will take his pay and have to deal with it. Performance is what gets games. Gaff would never be able to prove he is warranted of selection. In any circumstance. Regardless it's the match committee decision. It's also a sport and selection isn't forced by courts. Can't teach just plain stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back