List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Player contract status
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Oscar Allen and Jake Waterman are set to sign new deals (Code Sports)
    • Allen is due to become a free agent at the end of next season, but is working on a six-year extension
    • Waterman will sign a four year deal, which is "heavily incentives based" and could see him earn up to $1m per year

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Last edited by a moderator:

I think Travaglia is a better prospect than Draper TBH.
As a defender yes. As a mid **** no he has no runs on the board. He may make it but he has no runs on the board as a mid.

Draper can't kick... But other than that is pretty good

Smilie.. I like... bit like a Dave Mundy...

From videos it seems he seems to have trouble hitting the short 15m passes... Seems awkward for him
Have you taken a look at jagga kicking under pressure. And I'm coming around jagga at 3 lol

Last edited:
I'm a huge Harvey Langford fan, and the idea of splitting the pick in a deep draft does appeal, but Sid Draper is our man IMO.

As others have said, he's the clear balanced player in our range with all the traits we're lacking, and a low risk of turning into a bust selection. Both offensive and defensive, good mix of outside and inside... there's really very little to knock.

Viney/Shuey combination. He's not an idle passenger. He doesn't suck his thumb and wait for others to make the play around him, he does it himself. Like Harley does. That's a quality trait to have in a player, particularly one in our pedestrian (bar Harley) midfield.

I think the one and only risk with Draper, is if the club "Hams" him. Because he's so small, they give up on the midfield too quickly and pigeon hole him in the forward line to try to turn him into a small forward, despite playing his best footy, and being an actual midfielder.

Winder, Strijk, Parto kind of vibes. That could've been a Simpson/Worsfold thing, but who knows. Unless the club is actually serious about Kelly GTFO of the midfield rotation and back into the forward line where he plays his best footy, and mixing up our midfield.

Hopefully he grows a few more cm's. Just like my wife says about me.

Probs not the forum for it but how good were Snake's speeches at B&F.
An easy bloke to get around. No doubt brings a lot of positive energy to the club.
Harley's best emerging talent acceptance doesn't instil me with confidence he's in for the long haul. But then again maybe he just didn't want to make a big song & dance about something that isn't really much of a big deal

Tobie, or not Tobie. That is the question.
Go Away GIF

Given that we’ve got quite a long period of time to argue over who will be our number 3 pick, unless of course we trade it. Has anyone got any dead set certainties for the Melbourne cup? Just the 1st 4 in order will be fine.
Back each horse which price is between $10 and $20. You might get 3 or 4 bets each year but statistically has proven profitable over the years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A question for the draft watchers. Is Moraes just a no go now? His stock has plummeted, but seems like he would provide that outside run and class that we need. Did he fall victim to being pushed out of a stacked Vic metro midfield, and could he be a potential value pick at 23 if he slides? What's the knock on him from a WCE perspective?
His kicking is very suspect

A question for the draft watchers. Is Moraes just a no go now? His stock has plummeted, but seems like he would provide that outside run and class that we need. Did he fall victim to being pushed out of a stacked Vic metro midfield, and could he be a potential value pick at 23 if he slides? What's the knock on him from a WCE perspective?

If we have 23>>>>28 he would be a great choice IMO.

Definate slider and a position of need.

However there will be several nice options from 25 to 40.

Edit: Urquhart, Davis WA lads, a Whitlock CHB, Taru could be the steal. Gross and Oliver.

Last edited:
If Warner signs on with Sydney next year wouldn’t mind throwing a big offer at Finn Callaghan. Is a gun and only gonna get better and could play inside instead of wing for us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think that what we might pay for Baker will, in part, come from what we receive for Barrass

So I put together a possible 3 way trade :

West Coast
In- Baker, 13,30,39*
Out- Barrass, 23,59

Hawthorn
In- Barrass, 23,57,59
Out- 13,30,F1

Richmond
In- F1 (Hawthorn)
Out- Baker, 39,57

Richmond get their R1 pick for Baker, albeit a future one but they’ll have others this year from the Rioli and Bolton trades. The F1 might also help them getting another R1 pick from Gold Coast

Hawthorn give up two R1 picks but advance from 30 to 23 plus get a couple of late picks since their next pick would otherwise be pick 67

We effectively get Baker and 13 for Barrass plus 30 and 39 for 23, giving us an extra pick inside 40. Pick 59 is replaced by the pick we’re likely to get for Darling (64) and is there for Champion

Go to the draft with 3,13,30,39,64 and we still have all our 2025 picks intact to use in trades for any of Garcia, Carroll, etc should they agree to join us

* I originally had pick 29 coming from Richmond but felt that was a little too lopsided in our favour so changed it to 39

Purely spitballing though

Next year's NGA/father son bidding rules doesn't look too bad, we should have full access to our lot next year although there have been a few changes. Essentially 4th and 3rd rounders may not carry any weight although the picks themselves aren't valued as high excluding pick 1. If we are trading out fringe players this year we either want f2's or picks this year.

ie it'd be in our best interest to get either an R4 for petrucelle this year rather than an f4 or get an f2 for bbw rather than a R3 this year

I think that what we might pay for Baker will, in part, come from what we receive for Barrass

West Coast
In- Baker, 13,30,39*
Out- Barrass, 23,59

Hawthorn
In- Barrass, 23,57,59
Out- 13,30,F1

Richmond
In- F1 (Hawthorn)
Out- Baker, 39,57

Richmond get their R1 pick for Baker, albeit a future one but they’ll have others this year from the Rioli and Bolton trades. The F1 might also help them getting another R1 pick from Gold Coast

Hawthorn give up two R1 picks but advance from 30 to 23 plus get a couple of late picks since their next pick would otherwise be pick 67

We effectively get Baker and 13 for Barrass plus 30 and 39 for 23, giving us an extra pick inside 40. Pick 59 is replaced by the pick we’re likely to get for Darling (64) and is there for Champion

Go to the draft with 3,13,30,39,64 and we still have all our 2025 picks intact to use in trades for any of Garcia, Carroll, etc should they agree to join us

* I originally had pick 29 coming from Richmond but felt that was a little too lopsided in our favour so changed it to 39

The more I see trade scenarios involving Baker the less I want him. Just keep the picks and use them imo

West Coast
In- Baker, 13,30,39*
Out- Barrass, 23,59

Hawthorn
In- Barrass, 23,57,59
Out- 13,30,F1

Richmond
In- F1 (Hawthorn)
Out- Baker, 39,57

It's hard to argue with those trades, I'd personally want a bit more as I don't value baker more than an F2 but Tigers would.

Every side would be maybe begrudgingly accepting of it. Which means it's got to be pretty close.

Probably the most realistic effort I've seen thus far.

The more I see trade scenarios involving Baker the less I want him. Just keep the picks and use them imo

Can only agree, unfortunately our Club seems keen to land him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back