List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links

Latest news and rumours

Done deals:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're implying that we were heavily into Baker + Graham and thats why we parachuted McQualter into the top job, then thats absolute insanity and we deserve to miss finals for the next decade.

Implying? He flat out said it in his previous post.

Look after people disagreed with the information I gave up and how busy i've been I decided to take a break from here but people will remember me posting on multiple occasions about the club not having pick 3.

It has been realised in the past week that who the club has as their top 3+ draft selections would either be already drafted or didn't want to come to WA. I was a large part of the interviews.

People will get upset with this but pick 12 is about the sweet spot as far as trading down. No, it likely won't secure who most here want however it is high enough that is guarantees either a massive slider or one of the clubs 3 targets will be there. The hawks pick 14 was just a couple of picks too late to do that particularly after the AFL ****ed us with St Kilda getting band 1 compo.

Club is holding hard on Barrass.

If you want, you can blame me for Owies.

I can't publicly discuss a couple of things quite yet but I think people can now guess as to why the club has the coach it does and also why a lot of time and effort was used to bring Worsfold back in his new position. Also why I was pissed off about a couple of things a took a break from here.

I will try and give people a bit of a shining light here. (bar securing the top tier player trade next year) Then things will look like this. 3 senior best 22 players who provide significantly more run and carry and 7 first round draft picks in 4 years. When you look at it purely from that perspective, with all the difficulties the club faces in securing talent, that is a very good outcome.
Name and shame these lil bitch draftees snd how can the top 3 be gone when we're third pick.

Why do we always fixate on a player then end up paying overs because we’ve already committed to them? Who gives a f*ck if he can’t get here?

Oliver requested a trade to Geelong and as soon as Geelong saw what it was going to take, told him to get f*cked. It’s just incompetent management to promise players the world before you’ve actually negotiated a trade

Look after people disagreed with the information I gave up and how busy i've been I decided to take a break from here but people will remember me posting on multiple occasions about the club not having pick 3.

It has been realised in the past week that who the club has as their top 3+ draft selections would either be already drafted or didn't want to come to WA. I was a large part of the interviews.

People will get upset with this but pick 12 is about the sweet spot as far as trading down. No, it likely won't secure who most here want however it is high enough that is guarantees either a massive slider or one of the clubs 3 targets will be there. The hawks pick 14 was just a couple of picks too late to do that particularly after the AFL ****ed us with St Kilda getting band 1 compo.

I can't publicly discuss a couple of things quite yet but I think people can now guess as to why the club has the coach it does and also why a lot of time and effort was used to bring Worsfold back in his new position. Also why I was pissed off about a couple of things a took a break from here.

I will try and give people a bit of a shining light here. (bar securing the top tier player trade next year) Then things will look like this. 3 senior best 22 players who provide significantly more run and carry and 7 first round draft picks in 4 years. When you look at it purely from that perspective, with all the difficulties the club faces in securing talent, that is a very good outcome.
Why didn't we walk Owies through the PSD?

With Richmond and Norf not showing any interest, surely he would've got through to us.

The only people who are positive with this deal are the WCE recruiting department and about 3 NFI Karen's who have rung in today on SEN. Every other person including WCE supporters, Journo's and oppo supporters think this is one of the worse all-time trades.

Smilie and Draper were both entirely happy to come to Perth…

I can't give up draftee names. Just remember i'm not involved in whom the club rates in the draft and where. I'm just giving the info I can.

I put a lot of time into those draftee interviews and there were a few very serious red flags.

I like Baker and Owies. I went for a long ride to release the negativities and remembered nothing is as good or as bad. My remaining concern (less the value of 3) is that we have a poor history of talent ID and drafting. Perhaps the new team will improve that. Barrass will be interesting.

Forget about the averages of the last few years years putting lipstick on a pig.

In isolation, this trade is a stinking pile of turd.

Don't sugercoat it. No offence meant either.

It's a dark dark day in our history. Clubs are dancing on our graves.

BEND OVER EAGLES WHAT A MAJOR FAILURE THIS HAS BEEN:

The trade in detail​

Carlton​

Receives: Picks 3, 63 and 68
Gives up: Matt Owies, picks 12, 14 and 73

West Coast​

Receives: Liam Baker, Matt Owies, picks 12 and 73
Gives up: Picks 3, 63 and 68

Richmond​

Receives: Pick 14
Gives up: Liam Baker

Why didn't we walk Owies through the PSD?

With Richmond and Norf not showing any interest, surely he would've got through to us.

The only people who are positive with this deal are the WCE recruiting department and about 3 NFI Karen's who have rung in today on SEN. Every other person including WCE supporters, Journo's and oppo supporters think this is one of the worse all-time trades.

You think Richmond have no interest in Owies when they are losing Baker, Rioli and Bolton?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So my next question is the following:

Part of the reason why we apparently traded out Pick 3 was because a lot of the blokes in the draft around that mark said that they "didnt want to come to WA".

Why does the club accept that on face value? Furthermore, why doesnt the club back itself in to change hearts and minds in the 2 year draftee period we've got these blokes for? For the most part these are 18 and 19 year old kids, and a lot of growing/ maturing happens in that window between the teenage years and early 20s.

It’s all well and good that the club is smug and pleased with themselves but that is a genuinely pathetic trade and the entire competition is laughing at the Eagles including their own supporters.

I’ve never seen the entire football community be on the same page about something so congratulations for that I guess.

"Pyke said there was never any thought of walking Baker or Owies through the drafts despite having the option.
“That’s just not how we’re going to do business,” Pyke said."

Honestly rubbish. Bring the hard edge back please.
I guess, and I will take the hit here, showing respect to players and clubs might encourage players like Harley etc and good players from Victoria to want to play for us.
Thus ensuring we start getting better prospects in the future?,??

Empty words.

The club and the department you currently work with just sold our future down the river for some uncontracted 27 year olds.

If this is 12 months worth or recruiting and list management then you all deserve to be fired for being nothing short of incompetent and ineffective.

Good insight and appreciated as always, hoping it looks a lot better in 30 hours or so.

Forget about the averages of the last few years years putting lipstick on a pig.

In isolation, this trade is a stinking pile of turd.

Don't sugercoat it. No offence meant either.

It's a dark dark day in our history. Clubs are dancing on our graves.
Look, I don't love the trade, I don't like the trade.

But let's not overstate it.

It's a 9 pick downgrade for a very good player (Baker), and another best 22 player in the right age bracket.

I guess, and I will take the hit here, showing respect to players and clubs might encourage players like Harley etc and good players from Victoria to want to play for us.
Thus ensuring we start getting better prospects in the future?,??

100% it is. It's just their methods that are questionable.

After listening to Pyke it's fair to say McQualter and Clarke had a fair bit to do in getting this horrible trade for Baker across the line, talk about conflict of interest!

Also sounds like we are into Dev Rob and potentially trading back in to get a pick in top 30 to take 3 picks inside 30 to the draft, probably one of Sydney's or GWS's picks.

Four picks inside 30 was our strategy.

We just walked away from that strategy to make Baker feel OK about leaving his old club.

Is this modern wokism worming its way into trade period? We now have to consider the feelings of the poor, poor player who is leaving the club he was drafted by and walking to get a lucrative contract?

So much for asking players to develop a hard edge when the club acts like marshmallows with opposition clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back