List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick links:
Draft prospect video highlights (thanks to noobermensch)
AFL retirements and delistings

Latest news and rumours:

• Zane Trew, Jamaine Jones and Jordyn Baker delisted

• List Manager Matt Clarke appeared on Sept 11 Gettable - Click spoiler below for summary
    On the draft: "We predicted that the draft was strong, but it's probably gotten stronger during the year."

On top end of draft: "You could probably make five or six different choices and get it right."

On Pick 3: "I reckon there's five (players) around that mark."

On splitting: "I think you want to hold an early selection if you can. The depth of this group allows you to maybe have some movement there, and see what you can do to bring in more talent in the first 20-25 picks. Easier said than done, and I think most clubs would be saying the same thing. We'll see what we can do."

On Liam Baker: "He's still yet to make a decision. They're still weighing up a few things. We'd love to get Liam on board from what he offers from a talent and leadership point of view. We understand where we're at as a group, we're rebuilding our group, we need to add some guys in the middle tier to support our young group."

On Jack Graham: "We've got a number of players that we're speaking to. A bit of a wait and see on that one as well. We'll talk to a number of guys."

On Shai Bolton: "I think it will be difficult for anybody, really. He's heavily contracted and a high quality player."

On James Peatling: "He's heavily involved in a finals series at the moment so I don't want to comment too much on it, but I think there's a number of guys that have been playing really good footy this year that could suit what we do and what other clubs do. He's taken his footy to another level this year."

On Tom Barrass: "We've had an early discussion with Hawthorn about it, they understand where we're at. He's nominated Hawthorn as his ideal destination. We want what we think he's worth, as a genuine key back in the competition that can do what he can do. We're obviously mindful of getting an appropriate deal for West Coast."

On Tom Clurey: "Maybe (note: sounded very non enthused). We'd probably need some key back depth, whether that's through the draft or trade and free agency."

On Jack Darling: "We've had initial discussions with his management group about (moving). We're open to talking, as we are with all of our players, but Jack's contracted with us."

On Liam Ryan: "I expect him to be at West Coast next year, yes." (The most definitive answer of the day by a mile, a non-starter of a talking point.)

On out of contact players e.g. Rotham, Witherden, Jones: "We're still working through what it looks like from a list point of view, and how many selections we'll want to have, and players that may come in and potentially may go out. You might want to give a coach an opportunity to look at these guys."

On Harley Reid: "We've had discussions most of the year with his management group. I think it sits in a really good place. We're open to doing really whatever they want to do to be honest. We're really confident in building the right system around Harley, on and off field, to make sure that he's really comfortable, that he's going to play his best footy, and his long term future."

On Jake Waterman's new deal: "Yep, really close. We're working really closely with his management on that. I expect that we'll have something done pretty soon."

On Oscar Allen: "We've been talking with Oscar and his manager most of the year on that one. We're going through some stuff at the moment. I think we'll be ok with that one."

Past rumoured targets:

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s going to be pick 30 at best. Again.
And this is where the Eagles should demand a priority pick. Point out that despite finishing last in 2023, our second pick was at 30, and now, thanks to the AFL's involvement again, our second pick 23 is about to end about the same place. They are actively screwing with our rebuild.

3 for Baker+6+9, an Graham fetches pick 2
Essentially 2+3 for 6+9+Baker+Graham for Richmond
Ends at 6+9+Baker+Graham for pick 3 for the Eagles

Richmond ends up with pick 1, 2, 3, 16 for Bolton, Graham, Rioli and Baker
Eagles end up with 6, 9, Baker, Graham for pick 3 (not counting Barrass trade)

You could argue this, even if everybody knows its clearly a rort.
I want more.

I mean good god.

We help them turn Bolton, Baker, Rioli and Graham into Picks 2 & 3 AND the extra first rounder they will get from Freo for Bolton.

The least they can do is throw in another second rounder, especially since we are having to shackle ourselves to a humongous contract.

EDIT: Ignore my ramblings, i read as including pick 14 in the deal.

Last edited:

And this is where the Eagles should demand a priority pick. Point out that despite finishing last in 2023, our second pick was at 30, and now, thanks to the AFL's involvement again, our second pick 23 is about to end about the same place. They are actively screwing with our rebuild.
Agreed. Pick 13 is also now 14 and will be 16 or 17 depending on a Kako bid. 17 and F1 for F2 from Hawks for Barrass is sounding less appealing.

@wcephol

I want more.

I mean good god.

We help them turn Bolton, Baker, Rioli and Graham into Picks 2 & 3 AND don't forget the extra first rounder they will get from Freo for Bolton.

The least they can do is throw in another second rounder, especially since we are having to shackle ourselves to a humongous contract.
Dont forget we are turning 3 into 6+9+Baker+Graham. If we assume 3 gets 6+Baker(slightly favoured to us), then we are getting pick 9 for free

Richmond turning 6+9+Baker+Graham into 2+3, or 9+Graham into pick 2. We traded pick 2 for 8+12 a couple years ago, so its pick 12ish for free for the Tigers

I think its pretty even tbh, could argue the salary thing, if they add pick 29 that'd be ok with me tbh

Agreed. Pick 13 is also now 14 and will be 16 or 17 depending on a Kako bid. 17 and F1 for F2 from Hawks for Barrass is sounding less appealing.
Sounds atrocious.

I'd be getting on the phone to Toms manager now and telling him to start looking for options B, C & D if his client doesn't want to return to WA because we are not going to just hand him over for unders.

Otherwise i hope he hasn't sold his house just yet.

And that F1 should slide further compared to this year's picks. Basically 2 x pick 17 for Barrass. There's an argument to send nothing back to Hawthorn.

Dont forget we are turning 3 into 6+9+Baker+Graham. If we assume 3 gets 6+Baker(slightly favoured to us), then we are getting pick 9 for free

Richmond turning 6+9+Baker+Graham into 2+3, or 9+Graham into pick 2. We traded pick 2 for 8+12 a couple years ago, so its pick 12ish for free for the Tigers

I think its pretty even tbh, could argue the salary thing, if they add pick 29 that'd be ok with me tbh
Whoops. I don't know how but i read in my mind as turning 3 and 14 into 6 & 9. Yeah i'd do that deal and just consider it as pick purchasing.

I don't know why people are freaking out about the academy bids pushing our picks back, really no other team has access to that player so where they fall is irrelevant. If anything we want those picks to happen as early as possible.
Now all the free agent compensation ones pushing our picks back, get your freak on.
In isolation, you are correct, however it is likely that Gold Coast will trade picks 12 and 20 and Brisbane will trade pick 18. Essendon may even offload pick 9 yet as well.

Exactly. But I think we could do better if we want a shot at the top line talent this year

Instead of giving up our (now) pick 4, we get Richmond to upgrade Hawks 15 to Suns 7

Richmond still get fair value or better
In: 2 & 15
Out: 6 (or 7), Graham, Baker

WC
In: 7, Baker, Graham
Out: 14 (or 15) and a lot of salary space (but front-end it, there's not many others to pay)

Maybe that's too good for us but if we make it worth Richmond's while then it can be a good win for both sides at the expense of the rest of the league

WC go to the draft with 4, 7, 26. Get one of the top line midfielder plus TT
It needs to stand alone- not sure the vAFL would sign it off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd still rather use our picks but assuming the Graham compo is upgraded from band 5 to band 1, and Baker is valued at pick 18, that is a net difference favourable to Richmond of 1,067 points. Split that between us and that would be equivalent to pick 34 owing to us for nothing in return, or the difference between the expected trade values of Bolton (9 + 16) and Barrass (13 + 30).

Basically, we should be able to turn Barrass into Bolton, Baker and Graham using Cleary's suggestion.
Then trade in Warner for a deal centered around pick 3 (now 4) and future picks.

Watch Freo fans melt that we swooped in on all their targets.

Have a hawthorn-esque rise up the ladder 2025

Easy

Then trade in Warner for a deal centered around pick 3 (now 4) and future picks.

Watch Freo fans melt that we swooped in on all their targets.

Have a hawthorn-esque rise up the ladder 2025

Easy
That would be quite amusing

Richmond ends up with pick 2, 3, 16 for Bolton, Graham, Rioli and Baker

Best suggestion yet

If it's correct that Richmond are looking at Lalor with pick one, I'd be very happy if we end up with Jagga Smith with our top pick. A ball magnet, first-hands clearance winner to complement Harley would suit us nicely. Dunno if he projects as a Lachie Neale type but we could definitely use one of those
Too small, he'll be the next Chris Masten. Though, we did take Masto at #3 so maybe it's history repeating.

Free agent compo should not come in the 1st round, should start in the 2nd.
And at the very very least they should not at all be inside the top 10.
All teams that finished outside the top 8 should keep their draft pick, and not have it diluted, to do with it how they please.

I’d be telling Barrass you are off to St Kilda for pick [emoji[emoji[emoji6]]] given that you are a better player than Battle. We will even pay some of your salary.

Edit: What’s the emoji crap? I’m trying to write pick [emoji[emoji6]].

Edit : Jesus., pick seven

Richmond ends up with pick 2, 3, 16 for Bolton, Graham, Rioli and Baker

Thats too complex and i dont like giving up #6

My idea would be more in line with Bolton involved

Graham 5 years @ $900k = #2 compo
Bolton to Eagles pick #14 (richmond cover $300k x 4 year ) effectively the difference you guys paying graham
Baker to eagles F2

Eagles : #3 , Baker , Bolton , #23
Richmond : #1 , #2 , #14

I don't know why people are freaking out about the academy bids pushing our picks back, really no other team has access to that player so where they fall is irrelevant. If anything we want those picks to happen as early as possible.
Now all the free agent compensation ones pushing our picks back, get your freak on.
you wouldn't be a little upset if after pick 2 the next 20 best talents in the draft were all academy linked?

Fair point. Asterix's suggestion might be more justifiable. We trade out 4 for 7, 11 and Baker.

Or we just do the pick swap and a cheap Baker trade separately

Also involving Freo (Bolton) and Suns (Rioli) in a megatrade would also help muddy the waters
This would work but need to complicate it a bit more to confuse the idiots at HQ
Like throw in #23 for our #29 + #41

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Post Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back