List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 16 12.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Travaglia is coming in hot, do we take him with our first? Assuming finn and smillie are gone by our pick if we can't split pick 3 we might have to. Or maybe it's a case of sliding back a couple of picks and getting another R2 like what we did with chesser in 2021.
I love his game but I wouldn’t use pick 3 on Travaglia alone no. As much as I hate to say it, if Richmond leapfrog us and we finish 17th it would be a great outcome as I think FOS would be available to us at #2.

We then have options to get into the draft at the Travaglia range:

R1 with GCS for 9, 10
F1 with Freo for 11, 12
Barrass with Dogs for Smith Pick (hopefully Hawks pick 7) and Buss.

I love his game but I wouldn’t use pick 3 on Travaglia alone no. As much as I hate to say it, if Richmond leapfrog us and we finish 17th it would be a great outcome as I think FOS would be available to us at #2.

We then have options to get into the draft at the Travaglia range:

R1 with GCS for 9, 10
F1 with Freo for 11, 12
Barrass with Dogs for Smith Pick (hopefully Hawks pick 7) and Buss.
Finn is the perfect fit for us imo but I think he's pick 1, I like draper but I don't think he adds anything different to our midfield. If a club was keen on draper they'd want our pic because adelaide would definitely grab him at 4.

Richmond definitely disadvantaged because you can see they tried to stockpile picks to move up.
F#(k Richmond.

They extorted both us and freo to get those extra pick by say unless you swap picks with us at the cost of your future 3rd rounder we will take the player you want knowing the whole time their player should slide .

Shit campaigners

F#(k Richmond.

They extorted both us and freo to get those extra pick by say unless you swap picks with us at the cost of your future 3rd rounder we will take the player you want knowing the whole time their player should slide .

Shit campaigners
I think Essendon were going to take Hall at 39 and the Tigers trade allowed us to get ahead of them by swapping 38 with 40. F3 was still too much to pay for two picks late upgrade. I thought at the time we should have got Richmond to send back their F3 which would have turned out ok because of how far they have fallen. Would be good to know exactly how those talks went down.

Finn is the perfect fit for us imo but I think he's pick 1, I like draper but I don't think he adds anything different to our midfield. If a club was keen on draper they'd want our pic because adelaide would definitely grab him at 4.
As dumb as North have been, I can’t see them overlooking Smillie at #1 as he is actually a point of difference in their midfield.

Crows is an interesting one, what does that trade look like?

Im still not sure how we fit Hall into the team once Hewett, Reid and Kelly are back. If we take a mid with our first pick next year, thats just 1 extra name ahead of him. Im not counting Sheed or Gaff in this.

He will be waiting for Yeo or something to get injured and that hes ahead of Culley in line for a callup at the time.

I hope he doesnt just end up being depth considering what we paid for him, he might be a couple of years away from regular games though

Hope we don’t get too aggressive signing up spuds on big coin, just to make us feel like we’re being proactive

Fine line between aggressive and reckless

And it’s also hard to gauge exactly what Pyke means when he says “We’re going to be aggressive in that space, it’s as simple as that” in response to Daniels’ question re focusing on adding to the list

We do have salary cap space now but our draft hand this year is modest with just our R1 and R2 picks holding any real value.

And aside from the now annual rumour of Barrass perhaps leaving, there’s no talk of any other players of value potentially leaving. Once Duggan and Yeo extend their contracts there’s not much in the out of contract pile that would attract much, if anything, in a trade

So given there’s still a need to hit the draft we don’t have a lot to offer via trade to get high end talent in from other clubs

Aggressive could also mean being ruthless with delisting players out of contract but again with a limited draft hand if we cut deep we’ll be using (very) late picks to replenish the list

We have been slow in offering new contracts this year with the managers of both Yeo and Duggan saying new deals have taken a bit longer than hoped. And with 20 players out of contract at the start of this year only Ryan, B Williams, Maric and Barnett have signed new contracts.

All but Barnett were signed prior to Matthew Clarke starting at the club so it would appear he’s taking his time to get a handle on the list and form a strategy going forward. Which is a good thing

It’s exciting hearing Pyke say we’ll be aggressive but I’m curious to see what that means in practice

As dumb as North have been, I can’t see them overlooking Smillie at #1 as he is actually a point of difference in their midfield.
I wonder if North would trade that pick down for Trainor with the Saints or something if they cant find a top 5 pick for their F1. Saints might offer senior players up with pick 4/5 for pick 1 if they want to commit to a mini-rebuild

Agreed.

Especially with LDU being a free agent in 2025, they couldlose a big bodied mid.

Just watch Collingwood, the Swans and Hawks come knocking. Geelong as well.

Why would we fall out of the top 5 to help Adelaide ?
Adelaide for me will be the team to shoot up the ladder next year . They have all the tools just need for it to click . Their future 1st is a dangerous pick

If we finish 2nd last we either take FOS or trade back 1 spot with with Richmond for something extra then take draiper ourselves.

IMO it either FOS or draiper trading with Adelaide we miss both

Agreed.

Especially with LDU being a free agent in 2025, they couldlose a big bodied mid.

Just watch Collingwood, the Swans and Hawks come knocking. Geelong as well.
I think North’s plan will be Smillie at 1, then whatever it takes to trade in and get Trainor at 5-8 on current projections. Will probably cost their 2R and F1.

Fine line between aggressive and reckless

And it’s also hard to gauge exactly what Pyke means when he says “We’re going to be aggressive in that space, it’s as simple as that” in response to Daniels’ question re focusing on adding to the list

We do have salary cap space now but our draft hand this year is modest with just our R1 and R2 picks holding any real value.

And aside from the now annual rumour of Barrass perhaps leaving, there’s no talk of any other players of value potentially leaving. Once Duggan and Yeo extend their contracts there’s not much in the out of contract pile that would attract much, if anything, in a trade

So given there’s still a need to hit the draft we don’t have a lot to offer via trade to get high end talent in from other clubs

Aggressive could also mean being ruthless with delisting players out of contract but again with a limited draft hand if we cut deep we’ll be using (very) late picks to replenish the list

We have been slow in offering new contracts this year with the managers of both Yeo and Duggan saying new deals have taken a bit longer than hoped. And with 20 players out of contract at the start of this year only Ryan, B Williams, Maric and Barnett have signed new contracts.

All but Barnett were signed prior to Matthew Clarke starting at the club so it would appear he’s taking his time to get a handle on the list and form a strategy going forward. Which is a good thing

It’s exciting hearing Pyke say we’ll be aggressive but I’m curious to see what that means in practice

We have the cap space to be aggressive. Havent had that for quite some time.

Splitting our 1st again is aggressive.

And trading contracted players or trading/ letting fringe players go is another area we havent been very aggressive previously.

Good news is it sounds like we are not sitting on our hands.

Also hoping we get aggressive with asking for compensation due to all the clubs with gun lists playing finals continuing to get handouts and priority access.

Why would we fall out of the top 5 to help Adelaide ?
Adelaide for me will be the team to shoot up the ladder next year . They have all the tools just need for it to click . Their future 1st is a dangerous pick

If we finish 2nd last we either take FOS or trade back 1 spot with with Richmond for something extra then take draiper ourselves.

IMO it either FOS or draiper trading with Adelaide we miss both
It wouldn’t be to help Adelaide, it would be to help ourselves. I’m FOS if available (and find another trade for Travaglia) otherwise split but it would need to be a great deal as we’d also miss Travaglia unless manufactured through another trade.

By great I mean:
Pick 3 for pick 5 and Curtin (or their F1 instead of Curtin) and they aren’t going to offer either of those.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bsolute madness to sign Yeo on again. I’m hearing $800k a year.

800k feels like nothing these days. You'd be surprised the level of player on that much money at the moment.

The only issue i'd have with the Yeo contract is if its a flat 3 years and not 2 + a games played trigger for the 3rd.

I actually don’t think it’s that bush league to change the father son / academy rules this far out, if they are also going to bring in trading picks further than 1 year in advance. It allows those clubs that made plans to be able to adjust and not be that affected.

Considering they traded up for curtin last year and didn't care about us we could really get them back this year, assuming draper would be their priority

Swap 3 for 4 but we get their 2nd pic (28)

Briztoon some kind of AI bot?

A
aging crazy eyes GIF by Jacqueline Jing Lin

Or?

B
ship it jurassic park GIF

Or?

C

muppets computers GIF

Im going to lock in........ C. ;) :yum::tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Fair bit of chatter about Bobby Hill testing the market in WA. Most likely just his manager trying to drive his price up but what would be our interest and what would be the cost if it was for real?
He is a high quality small forward. So probably not a position of dire need currently with Ryan, Cripps, Long and Brockman our main players in that space. But that said, Cripps is on the decline and only has about another year, Ryan is coming back from major injuries and may never regain hi explosiveness. Longy projects to be good-very good. Brockman, meh, does nice stuff but a long way to go. So not dire need but still a position of need. Bobby would definitely improve us.

In regards to cost, we have the $s to front end a big contract so Pies cant match. But we do have some big targets in the next couple of years such as Warner and some big $ resignings (Reid especially) so do we want to spend big on a forward pocket? Trade currency would be big too you would imagine. We would be very reluctant to spend any 1R or F1 (rightfully so) but could this be where Barrass comes in? Would he be someone the Pies would be keen for? What would they be asking?
I think if it did happen Freo would be more likely but thought its worth a discussion.

Fair bit of chatter about Bobby Hill testing the market in WA. Most likely just his manager trying to drive his price up but what would be our interest and what would be the cost if it was for real?

The chatter I’ve seen is that he’s annoyed it’s even been reported, and fully intends to extend at Collingwood.

I'm no list manager, but wouldn't mind something like the following outcome this draft/trade period.

TRADE OUT:
Any and all of the following
Barrass, Sheed, Darling, Petch, BWilliams

- Barrass for future first, current second and a player.
The rest for whatever we can get, 2R, 3R etc to use on trades/ upgrading picks.

DELIST:
Rotham, JJ, LEdwards, Baker, Rawlinson.

TRADE IN:
Any of,
Baker, English, Cumming's, Busslinger, Garcia, Stengle, Ainsworth, Perryman, Zurhaar, Battle, McDonald.

PICK SWAP:
Out- 3,23
In- 9,10,26

DRAFT:
Lalor, Travaglia, Role players.

ROOKIE:
LEdwards, Ruscoe.

EXTEND:
Witherden, Burgiel, Yeo, HEdwards, Hutchinson, JWilliams, Culley, Baker, Duggan, Brockman, Dewar.

2025 TARGET:
Ah Chee, Hill, Rowell, LDU, Warner.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm no list manager, but wouldn't mind something like the following outcome this draft/trade period.

TRADE OUT:
Any and all of the following
Barrass, Sheed, Darling, Petch, BWilliams

- Barrass for future first, current second and a player.
The rest for whatever we can get, 2R, 3R etc to use on trades/ upgrading picks.

DELIST:
Rotham, JJ, LEdwards, Baker, Rawlinson.

TRADE IN:
Any of,
Baker, English, Cumming's, Busslinger, Garcia, Stengle, Ainsworth, Perryman, Zurhaar, Battle, McDonald.

PICK SWAP:
Out- 3,23
In- 9,10,26

DRAFT:
Lalor, Travaglia, Role players.

ROOKIE:
LEdwards, Ruscoe.

EXTEND:
Witherden, Burgiel, Yeo, HEdwards, Hutchinson, JWilliams, Culley, Baker, Duggan, Brockman, Dewar.

2025 TARGET:
Ah Chee, Hill, Rowell, LDU, Warner.

Barrass 2 years in a row has said no to leaving - don’t know why this keeps getting mentioned.

Want no part of English or Zurhaar. Like the sound of Busslinger but have a feeling it could be another Dev Rob 2.0 - lots of chatter on here ultimately for nothing to happen.

Logan McDonald no chance, will stay at Sydney most likely or end up at Hawks or Collingwood (can’t really see him going).

Some other good options you’ve thrown up though

Barrass 2 years in a row has said no to leaving - don’t know why this keeps getting mentioned.

Want no part of English or Zurhaar. Like the sound of Busslinger but have a feeling it could be another Dev Rob 2.0 - lots of chatter on here ultimately for nothing to happen.

Logan McDonald no chance, will stay at Sydney most likely or end up at Hawks or Collingwood (can’t really see him going).

Some other good options you’ve thrown up though
Agree with Barrass, highly unlikely but where there's smoke there's fire and the only one on our list with the potential to get an extra 1st to have any chance with the likes of getting a McDonald, or Warner.

I feel English and Zurhaar are upgrades on BWilliams and an ageing Darling who may interest a team in the premiership window.

The rest I'd take one or two of those outcomes.

Peoples trade expectations even for a contracted Barrass are way OTT IMO.

He is 29 with questions over his back and longevity. Will be similar to Yeo in that he would be worth more to us than what other clubs would be willing to pay.

Other fans do refer to TB as a Brien Lake type pick up. A KP. player that could turn a contender in a premier and could have 4 years left if his body holds up.

RE Bobby Hill. Good player but just too punchable IMO. Would be the perfect Sonny Walters replacement for Freo. Both annoying punchable characters who you are glad dont play for the team you support. Same as Pickett at the Dees.

Last edited:
Peoples trade expectations even for a contracted Barrass are way OTT IMO.

He is 29 with questions over his back and longevity. Will be similar to Yeo in that he would be worth more to us than what other clubs would be willing to pay.

Other fans do refer to TB as a Brien Lake type pull up. A KP. player that coyld turn a contender in a premier and could have 4 years left if his body gilds up.

RE Bobby Hill. Good player but just too punchable IMO. Would be the perfect Sonny Walters replacement for Freo. Both annoying punchable characters who you are glad dont play for the team you support. Same as Pickett at the Dees.
Agree with 100% of everything said

Back