List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 36 27.7%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 17 13.1%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 7 5.4%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Sam Lalor

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
If the resources aren't put in to developing a talent pool, that will affect every team, because if one talent pool diminishes, all clubs will look to get their talent from other pools. So there's less talent over all, spread much more thinly.

I've no issue having to pay full market value. There's never been an argument from me about keeping the 20% discount.

I can think of 5 players over a 10 year period. Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Gulden and Campbell. And just remembered there was a who moment last draft, Caiden Cleary.

That's pretty much the system I have described in posts last night.
The Sydney part was tongue in cheek

Also...

LMFAO at Elite Pete. The anti xInfected_Virus.

toy story disney GIF
Just Anti troll

The sliding doors moment was the AFL changing NGA matching.

Which is why the AFL is looking to change matching.

It’s only a leg up if your academy is producing that number of kids, at that quality.

We have only had 1 first round academy bid, he wasn’t top 10. And most posters here like giving him sh!t.

Every other academy kid we have or had, has been bid on in the second or third round, or we’ve drafted ourselves late in the draft or rookie draft.

NB. Obviously we’ve had a little more luck recently with father sons. But that’s random as everyone keeps saying.
It’s a leg up no matter what way you try and sell it.

QLD and NSW have produced stars long before the academies were in places.

I disagree as it is clubs rorting a very inequitable set of rules that highly compromises the draft.by getting top end talent for a few late 30 or later picks

You’ll get no argument from me that the current rules are a rort and need changing

But the AFL have a track record of implementing changes on short notice and this is no exception

Clubs put a lot of effort into planning into the future so when changes are mad with little lead time to adjust it’s simply unprofessional

You’ll get no argument from me that the current rules are a rort and need changing

But the AFL have a track record of implementing changes on short notice and this is no exception

Clubs put a lot of effort into planning into the future so when changes are mad with little lead time to adjust it’s simply unprofessional
True but most of that planning is dealing with late 30s and beyond draft picks.

The unprofessional part is the AFL allowing the obvious rort to go on for so long. It took till Gold Coast scenario last year for it finally became a major issue

Richmond definitely disadvantaged because you can see they tried to stockpile picks to move up.

The others, you can’t trade for the 11 months between trade periods. Neither the Blues or Lions traded out their first round pick the year before like the Pies did with Daicos. They will also still get an advantage to get their FS or academy players this year if they change the rules, hopefully it just won’t be the rort it’s been for the last decade.

True but most of that planning is dealing with late 30s and beyond draft picks.

The unprofessional part is the AFL allowing the obvious rort to go on for so long. It took till Gold Coast scenario last year for it finally became a major issue
Yep, getting 4 picks last year before the spooner got their 2nd and miss out on academy kid due to moving back 12 positions. Then to use their 2023 draft hand to trade back a year to get another 2 first round picks. 7 first round calibre players in 2 years….. don’t understand all the tears about teams having to pay a fairish prize.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the resources aren't put in to developing a talent pool, that will affect every team, because if one talent pool diminishes, all clubs will look to get their talent from other pools. So there's less talent over all, spread much more thinly.

I've no issue having to pay full market value. There's never been an argument from me about keeping the 20% discount.

I can think of 5 players over a 10 year period. Heeney, Mills, Blakey, Gulden and Campbell. And just remembered there was a who moment last draft, Caiden Cleary.

That's pretty much the system I have described in posts last night.
Cleary? Wasn’t who for many and he was rated in Cals top 25…

Yep, getting 4 picks last year before the spooner got their 2nd and miss out on academy kid due to moving back 12 positions. Then to use their 2023 draft hand to trade back a year to get another 2 first round picks. 7 first round calibre players in 2 years….. don’t understand all the tears about teams having to pay a fairish prize.
Where are the tears?

That’s both Pyke and Bell now who’ve pretty much publicly said we’d love to have Chad here. In the past we usually don’t speculate on other teams players, I still think Warner is unlikely but at least it’s clear we’ll have a red hot crack at him.

That’s both Pyke and Bell now who’ve pretty much publicly said we’d love to have Chad here. In the past we usually don’t speculate on other teams players, I still think Warner is unlikely but at least it’s clear we’ll have a red hot crack at him.
Any team would say that when asked about a gun potentially moving to their club.

He'd have said the same thing if asked about Nick Daicos.

Nisbett said the same about Jackson, Bell about Kelly, etc.

Back