Collingwood Fans: Why Is Nick So Different

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by carneagles
Calling other teams' players "overrated" is quite a popular sport at Collingwood, isn't it?

Daniel Chick is overrated. With the exception of Whitnall and Rioli, he would be the fattest player in the game. For a so-called midfielder that isnt good enough.

God help the Eagles if the temperature gets above 20 degrees. Chick will not be able to cope. He's not a bad small forward (I thought West Coast had plenty of them already), using his considerable weight in the goalsquare, but that's about it.

Originally posted by hotpie

Daniel Chick is overrated. With the exception of Whitnall and Rioli, he would be the fattest player in the game. For a so-called midfielder that isnt good enough.
I see - you reckon he's overrated because you reckon he's fat.

Was Lockett overrated on your planet as well?

Originally posted by Malibu#27
Byron Pickett, Seems to have wanted to come back to Adelaide since his last contract (if his radio interview is correct), yet the Kangaroos havent grumbled at all and in fact have let him return a year earlier ... while they can get more for him .. again no complaints.

It depends on the circumstances. North played hard ball when Peter Bell wanted to go back to WA - even made the "we'll let you go into the pre-season draft" threat. You'll note that Bell finished a season where he won the Roos best and fairest.

We also let Scott Welsh go back to South Australia, and then went very smoothly. The Roos wanted to keep him, but we let him go back for compassionate reasons.

Onto Byron Pickett, and his 2001/02 form hasn't been a patch on his 1998/99 form. Also, with Leigh Brown available as a key defender, the trade made sense for us. I am certain that if Brown (or another key position player) wasn't available, then Pickett would still be at the Roos in 2003.

Ultimately, the same club will treat different players in different ways according to how much value they place on him. Bell, Welsh, and Pickett were all homesick, and yet the club took a different approach with each trade depending on the circumstances.

I don't know the in's and out's of the Nick Davis situation and what the Pies tried to do to try and accomodate him, but Collingwood had every right to salvage as much as they could from the situation.

The reason Collingwood people are angry at Davis is not that he wnated to return per se but b/c

1. He agreed to come to Collingwood under the father son rule when he admits he didnt want to play for us (allegedly) and would be separated from his support network for which he has pined.

2. He lied to the supporters and coaching staff that he would re-sign a new contract "in a couple of weeks" all through the season. If you saw Black & WHite TV on Foxtel he even crapped on there about it.

Otherwise there is no reason to be more angry at him tan other fans or clubs are angry with other homesick players.

Originally posted by carneagles
I see - you reckon he's overrated because you reckon he's fat.

Was Lockett overrated on your planet as well?

Lockett never pretented to be a midfielder like Chick is. His weight affects his stamina, his form and his tendency to injury.

Its a good trade by Hawthorn to get rid of him, and all of it under the veil of "compassion" - so they avoid the negative press they copped last year with the Croad debacle.

Originally posted by MGREG
The reason Collingwood people are angry at Davis is not that he wnated to return per se but b/c

1. He agreed to come to Collingwood under the father son rule when he admits he didnt want to play for us (allegedly) and would be separated from his support network for which he has pined.

2. He lied to the supporters and coaching staff that he would re-sign a new contract "in a couple of weeks" all through the season. If you saw Black & WHite TV on Foxtel he even crapped on there about it.

Otherwise there is no reason to be more angry at him tan other fans or clubs are angry with other homesick players.

The club would have had a lot to do with his decision. If he was to say I dont wanna be here, he wouldnt have gotten a game.

In the same instance the club probably told him that he is not allowed to say where he wants to go etc etc ... He was under contract remember, so I am positive the club was telling him what to do, and tell him to ACT like he wants to be a pie.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Collingwood Fans: Why Is Nick So Different

Originally posted by BMD
Mark, you may have to sacrifice her for the good of the club!
I tried to burn her at the alter before the GF but the goat was so hard to catch that I was so worn out I couldn't lift her. Plus I tripped and spilt all the goats blood on the new carpet so I just gave up and we lost.

Originally posted by TheMase

The club would have had a lot to do with his decision. If he was to say I dont wanna be here, he wouldnt have gotten a game.

Rubbish. Footy clubs will put their best 22 out there every weekend, and if Davis is in their best 22, then he'll play. Even if Davis did want to go, by playing Davis in the reserves would only hurt Collingwood - you can imagine the Swans saying, "Why would we give you anything for a reserves player?". Players like Bell and Headland all wanted to return home, but they were professional enough to 1. say, "we'll make the decision at the en of the year" and stick to it and 2. play to the best of their abilities for the club. And the clubs knew that Bell and Headland were good players, so by putting them into the seniors and getting the players to do their best, they were able to get the best deal they could.

I am pretty sympathetic to the Pies fans that Davis lied to them about wanting to stay on and then leaving anyway.

In the same instance the club probably told him that he is not allowed to say where he wants to go etc etc ...

Actually, it's against AFL rules - it's prejudicial to the draft. If what you said was true, then Collingwood were actually acting in Nick Davis's best interests.

He was under contract remember, so I am positive the club was telling him what to do, and tell him to ACT like he wants to be a pie.

You may be positive, but what's your evidence?

Originally posted by daicos4ever

Thankfully there is someone here who can see beyond the communal blind hatred of Collingwood and understand why we are hostile towards Nick Davis.

He is equally indecisive when it comes to hard ball gets.

I actually agreed when Eddie said they wouldn't play Davis if he didn't want to be there. Once Headland had made his mind up I was glad to see the back of him, and as Leigh Matthews said..."once a few of the senior players spoke to leigh and said if he doesn't want to be here we don't want him here, you pay a lot of attention to those sort of sentiments."

If you don't want to go to a club, don't take their money and play local footy where you can be close to mummy and daddy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by daicos4ever

Thankfully there is someone here who can see beyond the communal blind hatred of Collingwood and understand why we are hostile towards Nick Davis.

I have no trouble whatever understanding Pies fans hostility to Nick Davis.

That shoe's been our foot before and it pi$$es you off, no doubt.

Hostility to Sydney is misplaced IMO. All the Swans did was drive a hard bargain, exactly what any other club would do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood Fans: Why Is Nick So Different

Remove this Banner Ad

Back