Chris Judd's Kicking Efficiency

Remove this Banner Ad

your ignorance astounds me

ablett is...

1st in average contested possessions (min 5 games)
2nd in average clearances (min 5 games)
averaging 5 inside 50s a game (ranked 11th in the competition)
has kicked more goals than any other midfielder

are you sure you don't want to rethink that?

your inability to read astounds me.

what was the point of blathering on about something that has no bearing on what you quoted.

yes Ablett might be 1st in average contested possession, but he is NOT 1st in % of possessions contested; he does pad his stats with the one/two pass.

a player who averages 15 contested possession out of 35 say, will have a higher DE% than someone who has 15 contested possessions from 25 (say). its the uncontested handball and back again, that boosts the DE%.

Re: Chris Judd's Kicking Effecieny

No, in other words, the accolades he received for his performance last year has nothing to do with his performance this year. He's not as good as he was last year, and to be quite honest, last year wasn't as good as the one before.

He's almost a has been, and will be if his performance continues to nose dive. At the moment, he's better than average, but only marginally. He's certainly a long way off from an Ablett, Chapman, Hodge or Swan. Even teammates Gibbs, Murphy and Scotland seem to be getting more of the pill than Judd, and doing more with it. That hardly put's him in the top 3. So regardless of who put him there last year, it's where he is today that we're talking about.

I've read some uninformed and idiotic posts over the years but this one is going up on my wall. :D

Maybe there's some rose coloured glasses syndrome going on?

Do we have efficiency stats for Hird, Buckley and Voss? Be interested to see what theirs was. I can only assume it's higher, but I don't really know.

I still think people are wrong on Judd. I'd take Judd with his kicking efficiency, over an above average player with better kicking efficiency who has almost ZERO effect on a game.

Although I am glad we have a player who has both. I'll let some of you figure out who if you care enough.

Maybe there's some rose coloured glasses syndrome going on?

Do we have efficiency stats for Hird, Buckley and Voss? Be interested to see what theirs was. I can only assume it's higher, but I don't really know.

I still think people are wrong on Judd. I'd take Judd with his kicking efficiency, over an above average player with better kicking efficiency who has almost ZERO effect on a game.

Although I am glad we have a player who has both. I'll let some of you figure out who if you care enough.
Hird's would be way, way lower. Capable of killing a side with 3 near-impossible kicks in 5 minutes, but never got that many stats loose or 1-2s.
Shows how short-sighted this stat is. Judd (and most top players) take the big risks and create with it. Whereas lesser players can make more %age of easier kicks.
And any Cats supporter who tries to claim Ablett doesn't get lots of 5m handballs is kidding themselves. Doesn't mean his good stats aren't damaging.

your ignorance astounds me

ablett is...

1st in average contested possessions (min 5 games)
2nd in average clearances (min 5 games)
averaging 5 inside 50s a game (ranked 11th in the competition)
has kicked more goals than any other midfielder

are you sure you don't want to rethink that?
Funny that you choose to set it at a minimum of 5 games, given that Judd is 1st in contested possessions, clearances and has more I50s.

ha ha to all the Carlton supporters getting sooky over Andersons article in the hun today. The comments on there are appalling.

It's just an opinion fellas ! :D

Although having said that, he is clearly correct.

Judd knows his not great kick or even a great handballer, but he knows this and his smart enough to play to his strengths. He realises that if he is going to turn the ball over he might as well kick it long to a contest, gain some meters instead of doing some stupid chip which is more likely to cost your team a goal.

There in lies the difference from elite players to the just good players. They have awareness that other players and even coaches don't have.

No, in other words, the accolades he received for his performance last year has nothing to do with his performance this year. He's not as good as he was last year, and to be quite honest, last year wasn't as good as the one before.

He's almost a has been, and will be if his performance continues to nose dive. At the moment, he's better than average, but only marginally. He's certainly a long way off from an Ablett, Chapman, Hodge or Swan. Even teammates Gibbs, Murphy and Scotland seem to be getting more of the pill than Judd, and doing more with it. That hardly put's him in the top 3. So regardless of who put him there last year, it's where he is today that we're talking about.

This is why I like to visit the BF site. Congratulations on showing yourself to be the most ignorant supporter on BF (and there's some pretty stiff competition too).

Anyone got details of Judds kicking efficiency this season?

His kicking has been shit all year once again..I'm sure in some of those voting games his kicking afficiency were below 70 percent.
Not his kicking efficiency, but his overall DE% (68.46%) was in line with a lot of other inside midfielders.

The fact he had so many i50's and scoring assists (averaged the same amount as Gaz and probably in the highest for permanent mids), means he still generated a lot of attack and was effective with his ball use.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong I love Chris Judd. He is a terrific leader and probably still one of the top 5 players in the competition.

But his kicking efficiency is poor. Alot of his kicks constantly fall 2 -3 metre short of his target. It seems to me that this is the one area of his game that is truely letting him down and stopping him from being even better than he already is.

In round 4 vs Adelaide his disposal efficiency was 67%
In round 5 vs Geelong his disposal efficiency was 70%
In round 6 vs Collingwood his disposal efficiency was 68%
In round 7 vs St Kilda his disposal efficiency was 58%

So far this year his average dispoal efficiency is 65.75%.

Is this good enough for a player of Judd's ability?
funnily enough he polled BOG's in all of those games...

Alot of those inside 50's you speak of were terrible. I remember even Robert Walls saying his kicking lets him down.. Against Fremantle he got 2 votes and he sprayed so many kicks that game.. Just saying.
Again, the same amount of scoring assists as Gaz on avg. Difference is Gaz spends a bit of time in the forward line and the top 20 (for that stat) is nearly completely dominated by forwards.

If Judd is setting up so many opportunities, perhaps your preconceptions about his disposal may be a tad off.

Just saying.....

He wasn't overrated when he was a Brownlow Medallist and Premiership Captain, but I do feel he gets talked up on reputation as opposed to actual performances these days. He is still a fantastic footballer, but he has passed his peak and is not taking games apart as he used to. He is an integral part of Carlton's midfield but sometimes I feel sorry for guys like Gibbs, Murphy and even Scotland who seem to get overshadowed by Judd, even if they have seemed to play better.
How about after winning this Brownlow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Judd's Kicking Efficiency

Remove this Banner Ad

Back