Coach Sam Mitchell on his players staging for free kicks

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong

Pretty extraordinary comments on footy classified. Cleaning up the quote:

"I say to the players regularly, if you play for them you don't deserve them. It's the same thing with Sicily or Watson. Once you become that then you need to never whinge to an umpire again and you need to just play the right way and you'll get the free kicks you deserve in time"

This was while they were discussing Ginnivan. He's clearly saying Sicily, Ginnivan and now Watson have played for too many free kicks and have a reputation. And they're going to suffer the consequences until they change their behaviour and time passes for their staging to be forgotten.

I love the honesty. But how would you feel being publicly called a stager by your coach?

He's obviously said it to them to their faces, and it's not a state secret that they do it.

So, you'd have to be pretty childish to get upset about him being honest in response to a direct question.

Last edited:

He's obviously said it to them to their faces, and it's not a state secret that hey do it.

So, you'd have to be pretty childish to get upset about him being honest in response to a direct question.

I dunno. I'd take it very differently if I were criticised in private to being labelled a stager by my own coach on national tv. And doing it to the captain no less is wild.

I dunno. I'd take it very differently if I were criticised in private to being labelled a stager by my own coach on national tv. And doing it to the captain no less is wild.
maybe he's tired of them not following the coaching?

that said, you had to know what you were getting when you traded Ginnivan in.

"I say to the players regularly, if you play for them you don't deserve them. It's the same thing with Sicily or Watson. Once you become that then you need to never whinge to an umpire again and you need to just play the right way and you'll get the free kicks you deserve in time"

This was while they were discussing Ginnivan. He's clearly saying Sicily, Ginnivan and now Watson have played for too many free kicks and have a reputation. And they're going to suffer the consequences until they change their behaviour and time passes for their staging to be forgotten.

I love the honesty. But how would you feel being publicly called a stager by your coach?

I applaud you Sam Mitchell.

People that whinge about bad umpiring need to acknowledge that a major reason for how s**t it is is because players are constantly conning them.

It makes their job 100 times harder.

I'm looking at you Adam Cerra.

Ginnivan is on video showing people how to milk these frees. He's open about it.

Ginnivan and the others are MUCH more effective as footballers when they play the right way and don’t stage for free kicks.

Everyone seems to have a negative opinion about Ginnivan. But if you actually watched him closely in the first 2 rounds vs Ess & Melb, you would’ve seen he was one of our better players…. Very lively… Very sharp, creative and team-oriented. I saw none of the infamous staging in those 2 games which has given him such a bad reputation.

I was downright embarrassed by his numerous feeble attempts to milk high contact frees on Monday vs Geelong.

It was plainly obvious the umpires were not going to reward him, yet he kept on doing it. Why? Smart footballers adapt to umpiring interpretations within a game. Ginnivan was very stubborn and very dumb the way he kept trying it on. Especially late in the game when we were 6 goals down.

More importantly, his staging is actually to the detriment of the team. He takes himself out of the play and coughs up the ball whenever he collapses to the ground in a fruitless attempt to milk a free kick. He is FAR BETTER as a footballer when he grabs the pill and uses his quick hands to dish it off to a teammate.

I think this is why Sam Mitchell is happy to call him out publicly. He wants Ginnivan to focus on playing good footy. Not to lose his focus by trying to milk bullshit free kicks.

Good coaching, in my opinion

Last edited:
Good on Sam Mitchell. This is how a coach should address a stager. Unlike McRae who encouraged it. Pathetic McRae.
There's far worse things a coach could be encouraging amongst his playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's far worse things a coach could be encouraging amongst his playing group.
Wasn't ginnivan caught with that too? lol
barely a burn.

Since McRae started encouraging staging by calling it 'challenging the tackler' we've seen Tom Mitchell and Pendles start earning the staging reputation too. embarassing stuff. McRae is mostly to blame. Should've stamped it out a long time ago

Curnow does it all the time and has made a career out of it. Especially love his exaggerated jump forward when he feels someone/something (often the wind) within a 5 metre vicinity behind him.

Crazy Vossy clearly doesn't detract his players from doing it, one could argue his whole coaching resurgence could be attributed to it.

This is a bit awkward then for some Hawthorn fans who think their club is treated unfairly by umpires

This is a bit awkward then for some Hawthorn fans who think their club is treated unfairly by umpires
24 hours after the footy ops boss publically said that we were shafted by the umps? It didn't cost us the game and I'm not convinced it's a regular thing but we definitely wore some shockers on Monday

He isn't going to publicly slam the AFL and umpires on TV. I don't think he has done that once as a coach. Behind closed doors I am sure the conversations are very different

Then Laura Kane the next day states they missed a couple for Ginnivan. The next sentence she then says a few

Remove this Banner Ad

Back