Prediction Changes vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a pretty straight foward mathematical explanation as to why left footers might seem to have worse opposite foots in that if only 10% of a team are primarily left foot then the probability of getting a side with left footers with no right foot at all is going to be far greater than the opposite as right footers have 9 times as many opportunities to get a dual sided player into the side..

Where is there actually evidence that left footers are more one sided that right footers on average beyond cliche? I would submit that the ratio is exactly the same but because only 1 in 10 people are left footed, combined with the fact that left handedness was looked down on culturally till quite recently, it stands out more.

Can you name single right footer in our side that has a left good enough to use it in open play? I'd say Young is the only player with a opposite foot of any quality. Hell we just drew rather than won a game just last week because one of our right footers had no left foot.

I was replying to a post that someone said it was an advantage having so many left footers in our forward line, which I questioned. I don’t care what you say (with zero evidence) after playing and watching footy for 40 years I’ve got my own opinion. I could name plenty of right footers who were as good on their left as their right (Acker, Sam Mitchell, Tex Walker, Steele Sidebottom) but no left footers

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I was replying to a post that someone said it was an advantage having so many left footers in our forward line, which I questioned. I don’t care what you say (with zero evidence) after playing and watching footy for 40 years I’ve got my own opinion. I could name plenty of right footers who were as good on their left as their right (Acker, Sam Mitchell, Tex Walker, Steele Sidebottom) but no left footers

You realise Sam Mitchell was a left footer right?

You realise Sam Mitchell was a left footer right?
yes interestingly some people are different with feet than with hands.

My son kicks mostly left footed but handballs and does everything else Right handed

ME i am left handed but when i play cricket and bat i bat right handed (bowl left handed) When playing squash i hold Raquet in left hand.

Jack Sheedy (also sadly late) was a R footer but very strong on the left. I remember games where because of an injury he kicked only with the left. He always claimed though that his left fist was way more powerful than the right.

yes interestingly some people are different with feet than with hands.

My son kicks mostly left footed but handballs and does everything else Right handed

ME i am left handed but when i play cricket and bat i bat right handed (bowl left handed) When playing squash i hold Raquet in left hand.
I am same left footer, play pool left, shoot rifle left. Cricket and Golf and throw right (can bat left handed)

I am same left footer, play pool left, shoot rifle left. Cricket and Golf and throw right (can bat left handed)
as a child i could bat both sides. even used to infuriate bowlers by changing hands as they ran into bowl.

But i was no super batter so eventially didnt play anymore LOL

There’s a few interesting decisions /sliding doors like for like battles….

IMO these are the most interesting:
JOM vs. Matt Johnson
Aish vs. Karl Worner

Could throw in Banfield vs. Matt Johnson, though not playing similar roles.

I’m liking the unique look of left foot Amiss, Banfield, Walters and Sturt as a point of difference vs the league in our forward half.

Given how highly the club rates Johnson, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone make way, and probably Wagner goes from sub to back at Peel.

We might see ‘managed’ in the next few games to avoid to decisions.

With a young team I think we'll err on the side of the more experienced players with so many big games on the horizon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as a child i could bat both sides. even used to infuriate bowlers by changing hands as they ran into bowl.

But i was no super batter so eventially didnt play anymore LOL
I was the same. Indoor Cricket, One ball I would bat RH, next ball LH. Would piss the fielders off

Cox came into R1 this year lacking match practice(fitness?). Was his injury related to this or simply bad luck. Who knows? Boxes need to be ticked, ts crossed and is dotted before he comes back into the team.
I really don't think lack of match fitness was the cause of his injury considering it was an impact injury.

That being said he had an interrupted pre season as is which has already set him back on top of his latest injury. I'm not sure we should really be expecting him to come in and play to the level which he usually does. I hope we have some sort of backup plan if we do bring him in straight away and he's way off.

I won a pizza by hitting the eagle boys tray hanging on the back net once. Best game of cricket ever.
and people say we can't entertain ourselves over the bye

For some reason I'm left-footed at Aussie Rules, right-footed if playing soccer. Right-handed but can play pool ambidextrously; write badly left-handed but well enough to get by.

Hard to see any changes to the team; I read a post last week (I think) where the poster said something like "... one day this team is going to click and go bam!", and I thought "... yeah sure, fat f***ing chance". Well... happy to be wrong.

Wags for Johnson the only change for me, as much to give Wagner a full game at Peel as it is to get Johnson back in, thought our midfield balance was better last week but Johnson offers more flexibility in case of injury and we can sub off old man Fyfe at 3/4 time and inject Johnson into inside mid if it’s just a tactical sub.
Actually think he’d be better off playing 1/4 in his natural position that a whole game trying to find somewhere useful to play.

The late John Todd was pretty handy with the right.

Shocked hearing that news for the first time. Was watching a post match interview with JT just the other day 1984 WA v SA state game in Adelaide. He was on the radio recently too discussing EF's 1974 Premiership.

Only seen the footage of him playing in the 1961 carnival, kicking a magnificent long drop kick goal out of the centre bounce. This is playing after he had done his knee.

Not sure how having a load of left footers in our forward line who can’t kick on both feet, is an advantage. Sturt got stuck a couple of times on the weekend trying to get back on his left. I would rather have a load of players who can in both feet

Wouldn't every club? Not too many around.

Where is there actually evidence that left footers are more one sided that right footers on average beyond cliche? I would submit that the ratio is exactly the same but because only 1 in 10 people are left footed, combined with the fact that left handedness was looked down on culturally till quite recently, it stands out more.

Can you name single right footer in our side that has a left good enough to use it in open play? I'd say Young is the only player with a opposite foot of any quality. Hell we just drew rather than won a game just last week because one of our right footers had no left foot.
I think Serong is pretty deft on his left.

I didn't realise the Bulldogs injury list was so massive. I hope the boys go in with the same killer mindset they did against Melbourne and don't become complacent.

PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
Nick CoffieldShoulder3-5 weeks
Ryan GardnerWrist10-12 weeks
James HarmesHamstring2-4 weeks
Jason JohannisenHamstring5-6 weeks
Tom LiberatoreConcussionTest
Aaron NaughtonKnee3-5 weeks
Ed RichardsConcussionTest
Anthony ScottConcussionTest
Bailey SmithKneeSeason
Cody Weightman Elbow2-4 weeks
Laitham Vandermeer HamstringTest