Preview Changes: R6 vs Hawthorn, Sunday April 23, 12.40pm ACST @ York Park (Tasmania)

Remove this Banner Ad

The big difference IMO between the Nicks era and Pyke ere is going to be player versatility

Pyke didn't have many options to shuffle things up. Most of the players he had could only be played in one position. Crouch brothers, Brown, Atkins, Kelly, Mackay, Jenkins, Lynch. Others we tried in multiple positions and their second position was a dismal failure (Douglas, Knight as some examples)

Our current team is extremely versatile. Dawson can be played anywhere on the field. Laird is an AA defender. Thilthorpe can play forward, ruck and midfield. All our small forwards can pinch hit in the middle. Our defensive unit are extremely versatile and most can play a number of roles.

If our fast ball movement gets shut down, we should be able to lock the game down into a scrap. Shift Dawson to defense, bring Jones and Murphy up to pressure. Or we could switch to an outside game by sending Rankine to the midfield, pushing Hinge and Milera up the ground and playing through Sholl more.

Pyke didn't have that at his disposal. His team was very rigid in its roles, to the point where if one player was shut down our system fell apart. Remember the amount of times a team like Geelong would tag Lynch and Smith and we'd turn to s**t?
Under the 2016-19 Pyke coaching era, crows at least had a strong forward line and midfield.

Crows in that 2017 season averaged 110 points a game in the regular season.

The forwards the crows had was Walker, Jenkins, McGovern, Lynch, Betts and Charlie Cameron.

Scary thing was not one of them were drafted with 1st round picks. I was a free agent in Betts. Lynch and Jenkins were traded in.

I agree with the crows players being more versatile though.

Dawson can play inside and outside mid. Both Broadie Smith and Rory Laird can play as inside mids or on a back flank.

Guys like McAdam, Rachele, Rankine and Milera can play on a wing or up forward too

(any battle-scarred fans tipping Hawthorn...?)
I know what you mean.
I tipped Crows by 3 goals last week. Just made sense that they'd win but the last 3 years weighed heavily on me like one of my old hangovers. 56 points was great.

Based on the last 3 weeks, Crows should win well. Kick 100+ points again (provided conditions stay fine), win by 6+ goals.
BUT
Hawthorn
+
In Tassie
+
Crows :grimacing::grimacing:.

Under the 2016-19 Pyke coaching era, crows at least had a strong forward line and midfield.

Crows in that 2017 season averaged 110 points a game in the regular season.

The forwards the crows had was Walker, Jenkins, McGovern, Lynch, Betts and Charlie Cameron.

Scary thing was not one of them were drafted with 1st round picks. I was a free agent in Betts. Lynch and Jenkins were traded in.

I agree with the crows players being more versatile though.

Dawson can play inside and outside mid. Both Broadie Smith and Rory Laird can play as inside mids or on a back flank.

Guys like McAdam, Rachele, Rankine and Milera can play on a wing or up forward too

Tom Lynch was a first round draft pick (Pick 13 - 2008), but we got him for definite value.

Jiath has turned into a massive whipping boy for them.

Both he and Frost constantly find new and exciting ways to turn the ball over.
Jiath is not even close to as bad as Frost, most who mention he is have no clue.

At his best he's a freak, he had 20 in a half against North and tore them apart, his ball use is pretty good, his ability to intercept, read the play and his athleticism is top notch.

Most of that stays the same, it's just when the pressure ramps up, he can fold in it a little, especially without help from our other defenders and a lack in defensive structure.

Frost is just horrid tho, tries hard, athlete, but that's where it stops, can't handball, can't kick, no footy iq.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not debating the direction of our list. Debating the fact that anyone can say we have good depth - when it hasn't been tested yet.

We lose Dawson and have to put Berry/Schoenberg in the middle. We saw how that depth worked out rounds 1 & 2.

We lost Murray or Butts to injury and we saw how that depth worked out against Richmond.
The sanfl is a decent state league comp , much stronger than the current VFL set up and at least as good as the WAFL

Our depth gets tested regularly

Look at this weeks team

Gollant - yep can play afl , I like him

Berry - can definitely play afl

M crouch - is looking much better than last year , wouldn’t let us down

Keane - like him

Taylor - he’d be playing afl with Soligo’s work rate

Schoey - thought he would be playing afl now

Nank - ✅ not far off

Cook - high potential for afl

Worrell - can and has played very good afl football and will again

Parnell - ✅

Straughan - if required

Do we have any idea who is traveling with the team? I personally would take Nank as it would be a good bonding experience for him and he could be introdued to AFL as sub in a lower key atmosphere where there is not the pressure of a massive crowd. He is also very versatile and can play many positions if someone is injured and he needs to come on early.

Do we have any idea who is traveling with the team? I personally would take Nank as it would be a good bonding experience for him and he could be introdued to AFL as sub in a lower key atmosphere where there is not the pressure of a massive crowd. He is also very versatile and can play many positions if someone is injured and he needs to come on early.

I don’t like a young player to make his debut as a sub

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's always felt like this was the case:

"We’d like to keep the 22 that we played with last week,” Nicks said.

Possessions are nine tenths of the law… That performance we put out there was a complete performance.

“If we are able to keep that team… we’d like to.”

Lineups & matchups for Hawks v Adelaide:

HAW DEF - ADE FWD

B. Hardwick - S. Frost - D. Grainger-Barras
I. Rankine - T. Walker - R. Thilthorpe

S. Mitchell - J. Sicily (C) - C. Jiath
L. Murphy - D. Fogarty - B. Keays

MIDFIELD
C. MacKenzie - C. Nash - K. Amon
J. Soligo - J. Dawson (C) - L. Sholl

N. Reeves - J. Worpel - J. Newcombe
R. O'Brien - R. Laird - J. Rachele

ADE DEF - HAW FWD

D. Moore - F. Greene - C. Wingard
B. Smith - N. Murray - M.Hinge

L. Breust - M.Lynch - T. Brockman
M.Michalanney - J.Butts - T.Doedee

INTERCHANGE

C. MacDonald - N. Long - H. Morrison - J. Impey
L. Pedlar - R. Sloane - C. Jones - W. Milera

Lineups & matchups for Hawks v Adelaide:

HAW DEF - ADE FWD

B. Hardwick - S. Frost - D. Grainger-Barras
I. Rankine - T. Walker - R. Thilthorpe

S. Mitchell - J. Sicily (C) - C. Jiath
L. Murphy - D. Fogarty - B. Keays

MIDFIELD
C. MacKenzie - C. Nash - K. Amon
J. Soligo - J. Dawson (C) - L. Sholl

N. Reeves - J. Worpel - J. Newcombe
R. O'Brien - R. Laird - J. Rachele

ADE DEF - HAW FWD

D. Moore - F. Greene - C. Wingard
B. Smith - N. Murray - M.Hinge

L. Breust - M.Lynch - T. Brockman
M.Michalanney - J.Butts - T.Doedee

INTERCHANGE
C. MacDonald - N. Long - H. Morrison - J. Impey
L. Pedlar - R. Sloane - C. Jones - W. Milera
Wasn't Wingard injured last week...some sort of horrible tongue injury?

Jiath is not even close to as bad as Frost, most who mention he is have no clue.

At his best he's a freak, he had 20 in a half against North and tore them apart, his ball use is pretty good, his ability to intercept, read the play and his athleticism is top notch.

Most of that stays the same, it's just when the pressure ramps up, he can fold in it a little, especially without help from our other defenders and a lack in defensive structure.

Frost is just horrid tho, tries hard, athlete, but that's where it stops, can't handball, can't kick, no footy iq.
"Frost is just horrid tho, tries hard, athlete, but that's where it stops, can't handball, can't kick, no footy iq."

We have one of those players too and its f@ckin frustrating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back