Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I know i've rallied hard against Dixon and Ratugolea playing in the same side, but I don't really see that we have a choice. We just have to hope that Rat has the fortnight of his life and Dixon winds back the clock a bit.

Also, Dixon, Rat and Georgiades were our KPF trio like 6 weeks ago when we absolutely smashed Sydney, so it's not like they can't do it.

I know i've rallied hard against Dixon and Ratugolea playing in the same side, but I don't really see that we have a choice. We just have to hope that Rat has the fortnight of his life and Dixon winds back the clock a bit.

Also, Dixon, Rat and Georgiades were our KPF trio like 6 weeks ago when we absolutely smashed Sydney, so it's not like they can't do it.
That’s all we can do, seemingly- hope that that shake your head game 6 weeks ago counts for something.

Why isn’t Soldo in the mix? Could play the Dixon role up forward and second ruck.

If Dixon is completely over his illness he is still our best option to replace Marshall. Charlie would know he has a maximum of 2 games left in his career, & this is his last shot of playing in a GF.

The dimensions of the SCG give him a fighting chance of hitting the scoreboard & his ruck work is still good enough to at least provide a meaningful contest & give Sweet a break.

ABC News breakfast this morning reporting it'll be Dixon and Burton in, with us not willing to take a risk with Farrell. All perfectly reasonable of course, and just gossip media, but now there's no pressure on Hinkley, it seems likely.

EDIT : and it means Wines doesn't have to ruck, which can only be a good thing.

If Dixon is completely over his illness he is still our best option to replace Marshall. Charlie would know he has a maximum of 2 games left in his career, & this is his last shot of playing in a GF.

The dimensions of the SCG give him a fighting chance of hitting the scoreboard & his ruck work is still good enough to at least provide a meaningful contest & give Sweet a break.
100% this. We need to bully Grundy and based off of last game, sweet was blowing steam out of his ass that second half. I think sweet has a tank but he's too competitive for his own good and gasses himself at crucial times. Dixon definitely useful in a game like this if he's even at 75%

In his last 5 games before finals he kicked 4, 3 and 2 against Richmond, Sydney and Essendon.

Didn't hit the scoreboard against the crows but i thought he had a positive influence on that match with 15 touches and 11 hit outs. I thought it was a decent game. He was crook for the Freo game after that to finish off the season.

It was only really the Carlton game where he didn't do a lot in that block prior to finals.

Had an absolute howler against Geelong in the QF, there is no denying that but he was no orphan, and he was apparently crook so maybe that explains it a bit more.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon just can't run he will be a liability on the smaller ground.
Trust Visentini to help Sweet.
Don't risk using Farrell or Burton
Can you imagine bringing in Dixon,Burton and Farrell
1 or 2 of them break down Dixon only has 3 touches
Wait
Shit this is what Hinkley would do
Isn’t the liability moreso on bigger grounds?

Dixon will be a huge liability and I personally would go with Lord for forward impact and a 2nd ruck or a 2nd ruck who can play a bit forward like Visentini. I get the feeling that Soldo has clapped out on Port like Houston so won't be considered.

It will be interesting of Longmire can burn Burton in a matchup if he plays.

Dixon is ahead of Lord in nearly every statistical category this year.
My concern isn't Dixon this week, its Dixon the following week IF we happen to be fortunate enough to win this game.

So what I'd rather do is put someone else at FF for 2 games, not dump them in there for a GF.

But yeh I know, I'm pissing into the wind, Dixon will play there, we will bomb it to him, and it will be all about keeping it in that front 50 surrounded by about 34 souls.

Hey at least we are still playing (hi crows supporters, how is cricket season going).

If he is fit Dixon will replace Todd. I dont think we have a viable replacement. Plus he is a good second ruck. Better than Wines in the ruck. We have to hope our 'baby' defence stands up again and the midfield are switched on. We can win this, no doubt. Worry about who we play next week. I think the Lions will be too strong for Geelong but stranger things have happened this year.

This Dixon, Burton rumour has “smoke screen” written all over it. Unlike past years, in 2024 Ken has kept selection to himself. No more announcing the team at the Thursday press conference. Late changes have occurred more often too.

Why would that all change for the most important game of the year?

This Dixon, Burton rumour has “smoke screen” written all over it. Unlike past years, in 2024 Ken has kept selection to himself. No more announcing the team at the Thursday press conference. Late changes have occurred more often too.

Why would that all change for the most important game of the year?
Cause Koch has publicly backed him into 2025

ce473d81-8f33-4bd1-9689-49adaa9535f9.jpg

Yeah
Nah

1726540238629.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes & Preview Thread for 2024 Preliminary Final vs Sydney @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back