Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt we're in danger. We would probably just need to trade back in a 3rd round pick or two into this draft from next year. Then we would need to prep for Cody the same in 2026 (potentially with 27 picks). But it would impact our draft picks as a whole and it would fk us because last year we traded a 3rd for three 4ths which we wouldn't have done otherwise.

I would be demanding a third pick back for this year if they want to make changes. Go ahead, just give us back our rightful pick
No way would we have traded a third for 4ths if we knew the impending changes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I would be demanding a third pick back for this year if they want to make changes. Go ahead, just give us back our rightful pick
No way would we have traded a third for 4ths if we knew the impending changes.

It'd put us in a real pickle the way they're talking about these changes.

We've stockpiled a few fourth rounders which could be used to match later bids. But if they no longer hold value we can't use them for that purpose, and would need to trade them for an earlier pick. But which club wants to trade back from the second to the fourth round, when those fourth rounders hold no value for matching bids? You're basically hoping that a club decides the draft is so even that they'd rather three late picks than one middling pick....good ****ing luck.

Even taking them into the draft and hoping they move up as other bids are matched is problematic, because in order to do so we need to have 5 free list spots on draft night. That's 5 players to be delisted or traded away, plus one for every free agent or traded in player. If we only wanted to take 3 players in the draft, we have to find a suitor for those three late picks before draft night.

If the AFL wants to make the sport as fair as possible then the changes Laura Kane wants to make are 100% necessary.

The only reason to have father/sons is to preserve family history. Clubs that don't have this history are greatly disadvantaged. There's also a massive luck element to this whole system. I like the history element and would like to see this retained.. but only if the mechanic is changed so clubs have to pay true market value (i.e. no discount).

The academies have to go. If the AFL wants to keep them to foster talent development in non-football states that's fine. But no team should have preferred access to any player based on their postcode. In practice, this system has led to clubs like Sydney never bottoming out, ever. Gold Coast are about to go on a tear because of it. It is a joke and has to go ASAP.

The only problem I have with what Laura Kane is trying to do is the timing.

Clubs need more notice. Trades were made in last year's draft for this one. Feel free to make the announcement now - but the rules become effective from the 2025 or 2026 draft onwards. However, I have to admit that if Carlton weren't going to be negatively impacted by the changes happening now I would care a lot less.

If Laura Kane does anything that stops the Campo and Walker boys from coming to Carlton I'll be so mad that I may post on Bigfooty about it a few times and then get over it.

That is until I see one of our father/sons playing for another club. Pictures like this make me sick.

View attachment 2022418
Such a shocker seeing Campo in the red and black. Watching his run, carry and kicking in some classic matches is great viewing - ahead of his time imo.

It looks like with the picks we have we can pick up the campo boys with our available points.

The issue is another club can bid & force us to use our first round pick on Ben.

So while they seemingly “fix” the issue with father/son & academy pics, they create a situation where clubs can force use of early pics with dummy bids.

It looks like with the picks we have we can pick up the campo boys with our available points.

The issue is another club can bid & force us to use our first round pick on Ben.

So while they seemingly “fix” the issue with father/son & academy pics, they create a situation where clubs can force use of early pics with dummy bids.
Sounds like most clubs are in agreement. If it is enforced by the AFL still think clubs will come to some pre arrangement amongst themselves to keep their bids as fair as possible as per current rules.

Campo was cooked by the time he went to the Essendon. Similar story to Justin Murphy.

But this one still stings.

View attachment 2023489

Won nothing but a couple of whizz fizz cups and star in a completely irrelevant to anything real meaningful streak video, has come back to win some real

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

It’s never going to happen because of Suns, GWS and Tassie…

I’d love to see father sons or daughters, being able to be placed on the list outside the draft… Build them under an academy style and if they are good enough at draft age you get them for free…

Once we have 20 teams and they've all been in existence for 20 years then I agree. But we should change the games requirement to 200 or 150. It should only be for the kids of real champions. As much as I appreciate them as players and thank them for their time at the club, I don't think it would be a travesty if Zac Fisher or Lachies Plowmans kids line up for a someone else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back