Official Club Stuff Carlton Academy - Next Gen & Father/Son/Daughter Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As a fanatical tiger,I still want both campo boys at Carlton, it does appear that when clubs other than northern academies would benefit that the afl are quick to thuk it up,father sons come along maybe every 5 to 10 years, not yearly and the rules are so bent to northern academies that they stold Melbourne's only nga in 10 years,(Mac Andrews)
Ps I'm tipping blues for the flag.

Last edited:
Admittedly Lukas is a bottom ager, but he is averaging 2 points a game in rep basketball this season. Not sure the US will be showing too much interest. Fingers crossed for his footy.
So what you're saying is when he's eventually drafted by Carlton we can all say "you know, he played basketball!".

So what you're saying is when he's eventually drafted by Carlton we can all say "you know, he played basketball!".
can we say he is "he could've been a basketball player. Instead he has become Michael Jordan of Aussie Rules". Or has that already been taken?

Unpopular take: I’m not going to complain if sensible rule changes are made that impact Cody. The system is cooked, particularly when the player involved is a top ten type.

It’s doing it this year on the fly that grinds my gears.
I think that's the united consensus. Happy for rules to change post this year, but can't hit clubs that made all their planning and prep and trades on account of what was expected for this year. AFL should be forbidden on changing such rules without 2 years notice.

I think that's the united consensus. Happy for rules to change post this year, but can't hit clubs that made all their planning and prep and trades on account of what was expected for this year. AFL should be forbidden on changing such rules without 2 years notice.
I don't think 24 months notice is necessary, but something like 13.5 is.

GCS are by far the biggest beneficiary of this system.
GC17 have been the major benificaries of AFL largesse over the last few years. They want the team to be successful and win something... sooner rather than later.

This.
In a system that allows points for draft picks and future pick trading, where clubs plan their drafts a year or two in advance (sometimes longer), you can't just put an immediate stop on plans that have been in place for at least 12 months.
Clubs have already traded picks that they might not have reasonably done, under the current system, under the assumption that these would be the rules operated under.
This change, without advanced warning (1-2 years) simply wouldn't hold up in court if it went that far (not that it would).
Clubs doing deals last year were trading under false pretenses.

Absolutely no issue with changing the system and making these players closer to market value. Any time a change like this comes in, somebody is going to be on the wrong end of it, but you need a realistic timeframe for doing so.

Simple answer is, we now shelve the Campo boys from games from this point on. Doubt clubs bid high on 2 players that aren’t playing.

They can just train with our club from this point on.

If the AFL want to do this type of thing to clubs, clubs should remove these types as the year goes on from playing and see how the AFL like it

Simple answer is, we now shelve the Campo boys from games from this point on. Doubt clubs bid high on 2 players that aren’t playing.

If the AFL want to do this type of thing to clubs, clubs should remove these types as the year goes on from playing and see how the AFL like it
*Dodo enters the chat...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Memo from AFL to Carlton: "We trust you enjoy travelling, because your draw in 2025 includes home games in China, New Zealand, New Guinea highlands, Las Vegas, and deepest darkest Africa. Kind regards, Laura."
You forgot to mention the 6 day breaks between games.

I wonder why more players in these situations dont do this more, Carlton would have already committed to the boys, so what’s to stop them playing less footy to avoid injury, concentrate on school and maybe just enjoy their last year of relative anonymity?

Im partly serious, i know the direction couldn’t come from the club

Loves his footy and the mighty blues. Reckon he will seriously commit to try making it in the AFL in the next 12-18 months.
I reckon he will as well. If I was him, I would be hitting the club gym as much as possible over that time.

I don't think 24 months notice is necessary, but something like 13.5 is.
Problem is that balance of when to pull the trigger for trade period because that's the major controller here. If done after trade period you impact clubs who just did trade moves for the next draft. If done just before the draft you screw up planning prepared by the team for the upcoming trade and draft.

I wonder why more players in these situations dont do this more, Carlton would have already committed to the boys, so what’s to stop them playing less footy to avoid injury, concentrate on school and maybe just enjoy their last year of relative anonymity?

Im partly serious, i know the direction couldn’t come from the club

A junior player wouldn’t go for that and I doubt an AFL club cares enough to prevent a junior player doing what he loves doing.

This.
In a system that allows points for draft picks and future pick trading, where clubs plan their drafts a year or two in advance (sometimes longer), you can't just put an immediate stop on plans that have been in place for at least 12 months.
Clubs have already traded picks that they might not have reasonably done, under the current system, under the assumption that these would be the rules operated under.
This change, without advanced warning (1-2 years) simply wouldn't hold up in court if it went that far (not that it would).
Clubs doing deals last year were trading under false pretenses.

Absolutely no issue with changing the system and making these players closer to market value. Any time a change like this comes in, somebody is going to be on the wrong end of it, but you need a realistic timeframe for doing so.
Imagine a club traded a first rounder to accumulate points, missed out on a decent player in the end they were strongly considering but did the trade and now lost capital on their trade value or wasn't able to recruit their F&S or academy player because of some last minute on the fly change.

A junior player wouldn’t go for that and I doubt an AFL club cares enough to prevent a junior player doing what he loves doing.
Plus, there would be a point it would have to be called out as draft tampering (not that this hasn't probably already happened somewhere...)

Nothing like a pic of the Campo boys being caught peeing on their lemon tree, or drinking cordial and then refusing a breath test whilst walking down the footpath.

Plus, there would be a point it would have to be called out as draft tampering (not that this hasn't probably already happened somewhere...)

Yeah, Archie Perkins draft tampered himself to *. Lol, what a fool. 😂

100% this…or even better - playing poorly on purpose

Problem is that balance of when to pull the trigger for trade period because that's the major controller here. If done after trade period you impact clubs who just did trade moves for the next draft. If done just before the draft you screw up planning prepared by the team for the upcoming trade and draft.
They just need to announce it before the end of the season (August) for the trade period after the following season (a bit over 13 months out).

Nobody has cut a player yet, nobody is unfairly disadvantaged with satisfactory notice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back