Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Posting it here too, re HBP & SainterK, reference the very last flow chart "No" just above the rookie section to find your answer of "yes, it's allowed".

Free%20Agency%20Explained.jpg

This is largely about empowering the player to make a choice as opposed to the club making most of the choices for the player. If the player chooses to accept the new offer, they engage Free Agency and are off to the new club, if they choose to use that offer and say "meet me half way" they can still sign with their current club. It's about options, not limiting them.

There will be a lot of mixed feelings. BJ is part of the St Kilda identity.

I have framed photos on my mantle of me with Luke Ball and Matty Maguire, Me with BJ, and me with Armo and Colm Begley.

I look at that and realise that only Armo remains out of those. Whether we accept it or not, change is inevitable and continuous.

In life we crave stability. It is difficult to continuously adapt to the new. For footy clubs it is vital that they continuously evolve.

We have had a great run following the Saints in recent years. The club has decided that it is time to focus on rebuilding - something made more urgent and necessary by our failures in recent drafts.
The club appear to be rebuilding "on the run" not letting us bottom out and dwell there. They recognise that could be disastrous for the fan base. I don't like losing great players like BJ, but I think the professional strategists at our club see that if we don't steer the club a certain way now, we will repeat the follies of our past. I hope they know what they are doing and that the short term pain is just that - short term.

Does anyone know the compensation value formula? It seems obvious goddard is worth the first round but you never know with the afl...
It can be a chook lotto sometimes, but we're guessing that they've been given a pretty good idea by the AFL about the compensation for Goddard before deciding whether to match or not.

the funniest thing out of this, is freo. such a heavy hitter. first they threw big money at franklin. he said no. so they moved on threw big money at cloke. he said no. then they threw an offer at beej that according to a number of their supporters "Was too big to refuse". so what does beej do, refuse it.

still they crave the need to get a big fish in FA and end up with pearce from port. AHAHAHAHAHAHA

what a joke of a club. they just wont be able to attract a decent player to that rabble of a club. i think this will transcend into support staff once ross feels the heat and starts to cook his colleagues. mass exodus in 2-3 years me thinks.

It can be a chook lotto sometimes, but we're guessing that they've been given a pretty good idea by the AFL about the compensation for Goddard before deciding whether to match or not.
Goddard is/will be the biggest name Free Agent at least for this year and next (i can imagine all clubs going hard to secure all soon-to-be-restricted free agents next year!). He is definitely a Band-1 compo...nothing surer!

In 2009 Sydney had picks 6, 14, 28 and 38 in the first three rounds

Effectively Rohan, Jetta, Mumford and Reid (plus Seaby and Dennis-Lane for Buchanan who has retired). Fair bit of wow right there.

I think that originally he wanted a four year contract, the saints about a month ago offered him 3 years, i think thats just plain dumb, give the man the time he wants just cut his salary a bit.

Yes the rumoured 800k a year to the dons is alot of money, apparently the amount we offered him was approx 650k. If we give him 4 years, and 700-720k and doesn't take it then tell him to shove off, Roo took a pay cut to keep try keep Goddard, it shows how much some people love their club, apparently Goddard was one of them, or at least thats what i thought after he kicked that goal in the granny vs the pies.. pounded his heart and Saints emblem afterwards... just goes to show how greed can corrupt.

Also i think many people don't realise the role he plays fr us, e is a key player, and it is a big hole to fill whether you see it or not, look at his kicking for gods sake, how many times have i seen him running at nearly full speed, and kicking the ball into space for a forward to run onto, where if the ball would have went 20 cm tot he right or left it would have been a turnover, he's a freak, even if he doesn't get 30 disposals the effect he has on our game is amazing.

I think by himself he's only worth 400-550k a year, but if used correctly he is worth that 700k.

It doesnt matter now anyway i suppose, if the media do have inside information (for once) then we won't be seeing him for much longer.

Feel for you guys.

If he doesn't want to be a Saint though, **** him.

Picks 12 & 13 in what the 'experts' are predicting to be one of the all time strongest drafts. So you'll potentially recruit two stars for the next 10 or so years. That's exciting.

Feel for you guys.

Picks 12 & 13 in what the 'experts' are predicting to be one of the all time strongest drafts. So you'll potentially recruit two stars for the next 10 or so years. That's exciting.

well said mate!!!!

this is a win/win for all involved. saints get two quality picks to assist the rebuild. it will also give us significant salary cap relief into the future.

bombers get a player that will significantly help their current premiership challenge.

and freo get nothing ;-)

I think that originally he wanted a four year contract, the saints about a month ago offered him 3 years, i think thats just plain dumb, give the man the time he wants just cut his salary a bit.

Yes the rumoured 800k a year to the dons is alot of money, apparently the amount we offered him was approx 650k. If we give him 4 years, and 700-720k and doesn't take it then tell him to shove off, Roo took a pay cut to keep try keep Goddard, it shows how much some people love their club, apparently Goddard was one of them, or at least thats what i thought after he kicked that goal in the granny vs the pies.. pounded his heart and Saints emblem afterwards... just goes to show how greed can corrupt.

Also i think many people don't realise the role he plays fr us, e is a key player, and it is a big hole to fill whether you see it or not, look at his kicking for gods sake, how many times have i seen him running at nearly full speed, and kicking the ball into space for a forward to run onto, where if the ball would have went 20 cm tot he right or left it would have been a turnover, he's a freak, even if he doesn't get 30 disposals the effect he has on our game is amazing.

I think by himself he's only worth 400-550k a year, but if used correctly he is worth that 700k.

It doesnt matter now anyway i suppose, if the media do have inside information (for once) then we won't be seeing him for much longer.

NO! Contrary to popular opinion, Roo did not take the pay cut for Goddard or anyone else. It was in his contract years before this Goddard talk started.

Feel for you guys.

All reports are that he tried his hardest to stay, even offering a 3 year deal + 4th year option. Essendon are just offering a lot more than we are prepared to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a general point of view, yes the 4 years was a sticking point but it's not that easy to just blame the club for not handing him 4 years.

Firstly, long-term contracts are not a good idea for players around Goddard's age group as the likelihood of injuries start to settle in. I believe we offered Hamil a long-term contract as the saints, which we later payed for as he was restricted by recurring injuries.

Secondly, I believe (although I have no sound proof as I am neither BJ nor the club) that he wanted 4 years on the same amount of money all the way through. This not practical for obvious reasons; Is he really worth the same at 31 years of age as he is at 28?

Thirdly, Goddard would have known that if he was prepared to put in the work and maintain a reasonable level of ability, he would be assured another contract, just like the other veterans at our club. Surely, he could see that??

Sometimes it's easy to blame the club, but realistically I can see where the club is coming from by not offering the extra year. How many 28 year olds get 4 years??

The silly thing about him leaving (if he is) is that I am quite convinced he would be captain next year. If he doesn't want to be captain of the club he loves well see you later. Sipposs will fill the void nicely and that extra pick hopefully secure us a ten year player. Not the end of the world

I'd like to keep him, 4 yrs@$600 doesn't seem outlandish IMO and certainly wouldn't kill our TPP, but. It's Brendon's job, we've certainly got our worth out of him, and loyalty runs both ways. We've lost great players before and will lose them later on. 200 games and a 1st round pick at the end, can't complain too much.

Robbo said BJ's camp asked to meet with the club to talk about a 4th year with conditions having to be met in the 3rd and we flat out said no.

He seemed surprised we wouldn't even talk about it, so am I.

Goddard has identified himself to the club as a wound. We will not try to keep him at this point.

He won't acheive anything at Essendon, he's playing for money now.

Well it seems inevitable that Goddard's going now which I'm not all that happy about since he has been one of my favourite players but it might work out for the best long term if we can get a good young player with our compensation pick.

It's not like Goddard has been a matchwinner for us the last couple of years anyway, in fact he has looked pretty disinterested most of the time, we had two of our best wins this year against Essendon and Brisbane when he was out suspended so I don't think he'll be a huge loss.

I'd also rather he went to Essendon than Freo, Carlton or Collingwood even though some Essendon supporters are already getting annoying with their gloating about it. If Goddard plays like he has the last couple of years I don't think he will turn them into the premiership contenders they think he will.

Robbo said BJ's camp asked to meet with the club to talk about a 4th year with conditions having to be met in the 3rd and we flat out said no.

He seemed surprised we wouldn't even talk about it, so am I.
That's because it's a preposterous demand. He doesn't trust himself to perform and validate himself for further contracts. He's actively trying to blackmail us into a bigger contract. Just let him go. Remove the tumour.

That's because it's a preposterous demand. He doesn't trust himself to perform and validate himself for further contracts. He's actively trying to blackmail us into a bigger contract. Just let him go. Remove the tumour.
Its all very well to say that Jimmy, I would still love to see him play out his days with us. In 2 years time...no Kosi, no Blakey, no Milney, no Roo, no Lenny, no Grammy (?), no Joey (?), no Dal (?), no Fish (?)...we'll be led by Jimmy, Seany and Big Ben....All of the benefits we've gained by having an outstanding group of leaders might disappear....i just can't see why a 4 year deal is being baulked at in our short-term future. We will still need some experience in 2016!! (I could easily see BJ filling out to become an excellent, one-on-one forward)

I think Essendon will be very strong if they get their conditioning right.

Played clips from earlier in the season on Game Day yesterday and guys like Leith Matthews, Jude Bolton, Mick Malthouse all had them top 4 before their substantial injuries hit.

Will probably finish top 4, BJ will certainly bring some discipline and professionalism to the track not to mention his on field capacity to lead.

Harsh.

Hardly the only guy in the market for more than three years in recent times, you're saying that like a bit of security is exclusive behaviour to only Brendon?

Feel for you guys.

That's what I reckon. If he wants to dictate terms that the club won't agree to - cya.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back