Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails

Remove this Banner Ad

Peeps, I am really upset about losing Matt Owies. Mostly because I will miss his ridiculously over-the-top goal celebrations.

Who else will go off like a two-bob watch when kicking a goal when the margin is 67 points?!?

Can everyone who says they want Draper please acknowledge he does nothing to solve our kicking issues?

Small request. “Despite his below standard kicking I think we should pick him due to his pace”
Think he's a fine kick who fails the eye test because a lot of his kicks come at full sprint.

I do agree someone with elite disposal would be nice.

Pick 3 is likely to be a player who plays AFL and influences next year. I'm hoping they can play in the midfield somewhere and go forward or back for a bit.

When you think about it. Pick 3. Wilson, Moir, Lord, Docherty coming in and influencing next season like I think they will. Hopefully gives us a youthful, energetic and faster paced boost. I also think Ben Camporeale will be around the better players in the VFL at some stage. Fingers crossed Haynes goes well. We are 4 or 5 players off from contending, hopefully that quickly becomes 0.
Give me......exploooosive freakin' pace pleeeaseee.

& I'm not talking about Ronnie Delulio either!

Very astute off-season by Austin. Shown great maturity and foresight to keep his cards close to his chest and let things play out. With so many players on the move, there was always going to be a bunch of clubs needing to maneuver their picks into certain ranges to close various deals, and rather than showing his hand (like Leppa has with the Pick 13/Houston situation) he retained the flexibility to adapt as opportunities arose.

Canny stuff, jumping into the Hawthorn/WC situation and walking away with the pick WC needed. Absolutely savage to subsequently trade that pick to them ourselves and come away with Pick 3.

To start with Pick 12, a pick in the 30s, a future first plus some fringe players, and work our way up to Pick 3 in a strong draft is an incredible outcome. Even more so when we're getting the benefit of two father/son selections to round out the draft - if there's a year to "wipe" your later picks, it's when you've got two handy father/sons who have slipped late by virtue of it being an "even draft". In a standard draft cohort, I reckon Ben would be a pick in the 20s and Lucas perhaps in the 40s.

I'm sure there are still plenty who would prefer "two later picks in an even draft", an honestly if that's how it had played out I wouldn't have been upset. History tells us though, that there are as many hits as misses in the 10-20 range. Conservatively, we'd probably have ended up with one good player and one who we'd later consider underwhelming. Pick 3, in a draft where nobody seems to be able to categorically split the top 5, is a good chance to be a 250+ game difference maker.

Come away with one of Smith, Draper, Smillie or Reid and I'll be a happy man - I think all have traits that we could really use.

Bowing out of the first round next year is also not a concern for me. We've got a couple of NGA kids to look at, and we've retained a presumably late second (Brisbane....but there's a decent chance we jump them next year given our expected improvement and their loss of Daniher) plus our own later picks to match any bids.

Pretty bold trading by Blues. We’ve given up a lot to get up to 3, so hopefully we know what we’re doing and there’s someone pretty special there. I guess club view is we’ve plenty of foot soldiers (Eg. someone as good as MK is in limbo), but need an impactful jet. Please let this work out! I can’t face another Paddy Dow slow heartbreak.

34 was very likely going to be consumed by Campo bid, so we would have lost it for nothing anyway. Instead, we turned it into another F2.

So, it is essentially 12 + F1 for 3... because we pretty much got a "free" F2 anyway.

I prefer quick ball movement to 'foot speed'.

Gary Rohan is lightning quick, so he could run a million miles an hour to where the ball wasn't.

Meanwhile someone like Sidebottom is an athletic plodder, but splits the game open with his disposal...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So without a current second-rounder (at present), we basically rate Lucas Campo a second-rounder anyway, and Ben a third-rounder?

Effectively?

Campo bids should be fine now. Will go into the draft with 5 open list spots (1 will be Boyd elevation). Can use up to 4 picks to match. I reckon we only use 3 picks at the draft now and have an extra rookie spot (vs the plan to take 4)

Assuming Carroll delisted. Maybe rerookied.
I'm amazed Carroll wasn't pulled into the Pick 3 conversation.

Shows our intention to retain him?

Ok draft experts pls help me.

Happy to get 3, no probs, so just curious as to how we get Cody next year after trading a F1 and F2 this year? He’s supposed to be top 5, still plenty of points needed. Can we trade out our F1 next year too?

If appears some very good free agents around next year, so our philosophy is to target them in 2025 instead of the draft? Correct?

Doesn't seem like we will be getting a 2nd rounder back
I wonder whether there is still another deal to come. Still plenty of time. From all reports of our approach, it would seem like Austin would love to have another pick (say in the 20-30 range). I'm sure he will keep trying, but it is probably a question of whether we still have any chips to play.

Ok draft experts pls help me.

Happy to get 3, no probs, so just curious as to how we get Cody next year after trading a F1 and F2 this year? He’s supposed to be top 5, still plenty of points needed. Can we trade out our F1 next year too?

If appears some very good free agents around next year, so our philosophy is to target them in 2025 instead of the draft? Correct?

Cody is 2026 draft

I assume the strategy next year consists of:
1. NGA bids if they come on
2. Free agent
3. Getting into a better position for 2026 draft with Cody looking likely to be top 5 pick

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I prefer quick ball movement to 'foot speed'.

Gary Rohan is lightning quick, so he could run a million miles an hour to where the ball wasn't.

Meanwhile someone like Sidebottom is an athletic plodder, but splits the game open with his disposal...
Agree.
quick mind and clean hands rule. little side step doesnt hurt

If you had asked me at the beginning of trade period if I thought

Out:

Pick 12, Pick 34, Future First, Future 2nd, Owies

In:

Pick 3, Bris Future 2nd

Would happen.

I would have thought no way

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - 'Loopy' Gone Off The Rails